Mystery grip competition

49 minutes ago, climber511 said:

If there was ever an event designed to tear skin off - it has to be the V Bar.  2" is better but not immune - 1" should be banned in my opinion.  The carabiner version is not strictly a V- Bar in my opinion.

They aren’t in my opinion either. I call the carabiner attachment lifts “veritical lifts” or “veritical friction lifts”

Edited by Chez

6 hours ago, Chez said:

They aren’t in my opinion either. I call the carabiner attachment lifts “veritical lifts” or “veritical friction lifts”

However we want to classify vertical lifts into categories, the only issue is with the fixed, one piece Vbar causing biceps injury and the one incher causing skin tears. That should not be a problem if this ever comes to fruition. 

What if instead of picking the “mystery lifts” ahead of time, you have the agreed on “possible” lifts names written down on index cards and then folded and thrown into a four bowls...

so the crush event, thick bar event, wrist event, and pinch event gets determined by random selection so the promoter can compete and there is no way anyone can claim prior knowledge of the events.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

What if instead of picking the “mystery lifts” ahead of time, you have the agreed on “possible” lifts names written down on index cards and then folded and thrown into a four bowls...

so the crush event, thick bar event, wrist event, and pinch event gets determined by random selection so the promoter can compete and there is no way anyone can claim prior knowledge of the events.

That’s also a great idea Rich. Keep the ideas coming. 

I would love to attend, pretty much regardless of the events, and will try to do so simply based on whether I am available.  I am new enough at this hobby/sport/pastime/addiction and would like to try all different implements and gradually find my best ones and improve my worst ones.

One idea:  I would love to see a TNS (table no set) or NS gripper event (In reality, I don't really understand how TNS and NS are really different, because if it has to be fully closed with one hand without any use of the other to set it, I am not sure why it matters if the second hand touched it on its way to the only hand closing it.  But whatever.)

I bet Chez would support this one!

• Like 1

I would compete if I knew 2" v-bar was in the contest because that eliminates @Chez right off the bat.  Any other top gripsters out there that have an event they won't do?  I vote for those.  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In all seriousness Chez is probably right.  I still do heavy 2" v-bar from time to time, but tha's because I'm an idiot.  I think the partial biceps tear and some of the other shoulder damage I've been fighting was from the 2" vbar.  The rest was from years of misuse and faulty bench technique.

There was a time when the 1" V-Bar was extremely popular, but the weights got so high on it that there was a rash of biceps tears.  So the 2" became more popular because it was lighter weight and actually worked the grip more.  But the weights on the 2" have now climbed up to dangerous levels as well.  Every recent contest I've seen it contested, the winner was 300+.   I like the v-bar, because I'm decent at it, but it probably does keep a few competitors from showing up to events where it is being contesed.  LBH or a 2" vert attachment works well, although, you can twist the slack out of the chain and basically turn those into pseudo solid v-bars for the big lifts, so....

Other than that, the idea sounds fine.  I really don't care what the events are or if we know them in advance.  I just come to hang out with the guys and have a blast a couple times a year.  I'll pick up whatever you tell me to pick up. 

3380918.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

This was a really bad one by one of the strongest gripsters on the planet.  Chris James doing 353 lbs on the 1" vbar.  Pop.

https://youtu.be/wlyb5pldMiU

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I would love to attend, pretty much regardless of the events, and will try to do so simply based on whether I am available.  I am new enough at this hobby/sport/pastime/addiction and would like to try all different implements and gradually find my best ones and improve my worst ones.

One idea:  I would love to see a TNS (table no set) or NS gripper event (In reality, I don't really understand how TNS and NS are really different, because if it has to be fully closed with one hand without any use of the other to set it, I am not sure why it matters if the second hand touched it on its way to the only hand closing it.  But whatever.)

I bet Chez would support this one!

The difference is that you have the off hand in NS to position the gripper optimally rather than a TNS  which is picked up with one hand and cannot be optimally positioned in the hand. And yes I would love a TNS or NS gripper event . Being able to cradle the gripper in your hand in a NS style makes a huge difference in the success over TNS

Edited by Guest

57 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I would compete if I knew 2" v-bar was in the contest because that eliminates @Chez right off the bat.  Any other top gripsters out there that have an event they won't do?  I vote for those.  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In all seriousness Chez is probably right.  I still do heavy 2" v-bar from time to time, but tha's because I'm an idiot.  I think the partial biceps tear and some of the other shoulder damage I've been fighting was from the 2" vbar.  The rest was from years of misuse and faulty bench technique.

There was a time when the 1" V-Bar was extremely popular, but the weights got so high on it that there was a rash of biceps tears.  So the 2" became more popular because it was lighter weight and actually worked the grip more.  But the weights on the 2" have now climbed up to dangerous levels as well.  Every recent contest I've seen it contested, the winner was 300+.   I like the v-bar, because I'm decent at it, but it probably does keep a few competitors from showing up to events where it is being contesed.  LBH or a 2" vert attachment works well, although, you can twist the slack out of the chain and basically turn those into pseudo solid v-bars for the big lifts, so....

Other than that, the idea sounds fine.  I really don't care what the events are or if we know them in advance.  I just come to hang out with the guys and have a blast a couple times a year.  I'll pick up whatever you tell me to pick up. 

3380918.jpg

exactly Rindo !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Am I the only one that LOVES VBAR?

There are plenty of people who like it but I still don't think its a good idea to have at a competition. Especially if you want to attract new people. Another guy who was suppose to come to my location for KK and was at the training session where I tore my bicep, tore his the next week during the comp and he was new to the sport.

If experienced grip guys can get hurt on it, newbie's have an even higher chance of getting hurt. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

There are plenty of people who like it but I still don't think its a good idea to have at a competition. Especially if you want to attract new people. Another guy who was suppose to come to my location for KK and was at the training session where I tore my bicep, tore his the next week during the comp and he was new to the sport.

If experienced grip guys can get hurt on it, newbie's have an even higher chance of getting hurt. 

Stub should be off the table too then. That rips your hand up for no good reason. But I know that.... STUB IS LIFE for some 

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

Stub should be off the table too then. That rips your hand up for no good reason. But I know that.... STUB IS LIFE for some 

Torn bicep vs ripped finger skin isn't the same. 

I love vbar.  I'v done 334 on a 1" and 291 on a 2", so I'm decent at them too.  Vbar in a contest typically helps me move up the leaderboard a bit.  I still think they probably shouldn't be in an open contest.

Great for certing and going as heavy as you want as an individual willing to take the risk.  But too much risk of injury at a comp and too much liability for promoter.  I had 1" vbar in my DC comp years ago.  Wouldn't do it again knowing what I know now.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Am I the only one that LOVES VBAR?

I love the 2" FBBC V-bar. Very fun implement to lift with. However, I agree with Chez and Mike -  the injury factor makes it difficult for comps. 

Edited by FrankD
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FrankD said:

I love the 2" FBBC V-bar. Very fun implement to lift with. However, I agree with Chez and Mike -  the injury factor makes it difficult for comps. 

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

Torn bicep vs ripped finger skin isn't the same. 

The ripped finger skin can take us out of the comp in a heart beat... but yes the Vbar has more serious possibilities of screwing one up for a long time if technique compromises that biceps tendon. Are there any other events that one would not like due to injury or just plain silliness ?

4 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Do you guys know of any bicep injuries from the 2" v-bar either from training for or competing in King Kong 2017? Were the bicep injuries that you know of all from the 1" v-bar?

From my training if I use an overhand grip as opposed to a supinated grip there seems to be no more risk of bicep injury than any other pull from the ground. Sure, you would be giving up lbs with the overhand grip.

Mine and the other guy I mentioned who did it a week later were the 2" v bar training for/competing in KK 2015. I think Eric injured himself on the 2" V bar last year also but not as serious as us. 

Ya, I know about the grip. The problem is it can spin on you etc and if your not paying attention a slight mistake in technique engages the bicep. New people aren't going to know all this. If someone tears there bicep and its just starting out, they probably aren't coming back for more competitions. 

Edited by Chez

4 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Do you guys know of any bicep injuries from the 2" v-bar either from training for or competing in King Kong 2017? Were the bicep injuries that you know of all from the 1" v-bar?

From my training if I use an overhand grip as opposed to a supinated grip there seems to be no more risk of bicep injury than any other pull from the ground. Sure, you would be giving up lbs with the overhand grip.

That’s what I meant on depending on technique. Myself have no issues or stress from VBAR with any technique and I have pulled 308.... but yes you are correct for sure. Some may just not want to put themselves in that position because they will pull less weight 

2 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

2 1/2" Jug @ 190lb - no pain at all.

I think the jug is a great alternative and I actually suggested it after my injury. The movement on the carbiner makes it much safer. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

I think the jug is a great alternative and I actually suggested it after my injury. The movement on the carbiner makes it much safer. 

The jug is great and is a good vertical lift choice for those on the fence with fixed V BAR. Whoever that holds the competition will be the one who decides what goes. The whole point of a competition like this would be to come in sight unseen and just compete on what is given. I am with West slope on never having experienced any issues with Vbar. There is risk will all lifts no matter what they are, however, the fear that many have of the fixed Vbar will be discussed with whoever holds this if it ever comes to fruition. Now if there are any others who would like to chime in and give their thoughts and whether or not they would compete in a contest of this sort the floor is yours. 

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Do you think the hinged vertical lift safer because you can more easily maintain an angle with your arm at the elbow or does it also have something to do with the wrist and shoulder?

its not as awkward to lift and has give so a person can find a safer hold point. The fixed part of the V bar locks you in so if you make a mistake with a lot of weight, it can go south quickly. On the Caribiner the device moves so you don't have to be as perfectly vertical. Its hard to explain through text.  

and obviously, the less weight you lift, the less dangerous. Many are close to or over 300 lbs on the 2" v bar. If you make a mental mistake, one bicep can't handle that weight and tear happens quickly. 

Edited by Chez

3 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I would not travel far (fly, rent car, etc) for a comp that I couldn't specifically train each event. I love the process of systematically training and getting stronger, crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me, and hearing the lamentations of their women.

I would always hit this sort of comp if it were in my backyard.

That’s the point of the forum. To see who would and would not do it. There will be a thick bar, pinch, gripper and V bar component so there would be no mystery there as far as being able to basically train for what’s coming ... you can still train and get just as strong with what you choose from those options, you just won’t know the “exact” implements. It would show who had the strongest grip without  training on specific implements. Very interesting IMO. Most probably would not be down to being exposed to something of that nature.

3 hours ago, richcottrell said:

This was exactly my thoughts as well.

Another suggestion. I think it would be nice to see some endurance events as well, not just max effort 1RM contests all the time. Silver Bullet, pinch and thick bar holds etc. Even reps with a specific gripper would be interesting.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s the point of the forum. To see who would and would not do it. There will be a thick bar, pinch, gripper and V bar component so there would be no mystery there as far as being able to basically train for what’s coming ... you can still train and get just as strong with what you choose from those options, you just won’t know the “exact” implements. It would show who had the strongest grip without  training on specific implements. Very interesting IMO. Most probably would not be down to being exposed to something of that nature.

I actually don't train for specific events.  Mostly because I don't have the toys.  For instance, going into NAGS I have 1 gripper, no euro, no napalms nightmare, and no wrist roller.  So I just trained a bunch of different types of pinch and thickbar.  I just bought my first rolling handle ever, but it isn't a brand name used in a contest.

I just train generally and hope it carries over.

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

3380918.jpg

This can be solved by using the HorneTop from the GripTopz series. You're not gonna pull a bicep on that one unless your bicep is very weak and unhealthy. The WR is "only" 100 kg I believe (which most people won't get near anyways).

Or you could just use real anvils, do holds etc, everything doesn't need to be a 1RM contest.