Mystery grip competition

Hello All,

Was at the barber shop today discussing grip sport and arm lifting with some of the patrons. We came up with an interesting idea for a grip showdown. It would be a mystery grip competition where the only person that will know what the events are is the one holding the competition. They of course would be sworn to secrecy on their honor to not reveal the griplements being tested until the morning of the competition. They also obviously would not be competing.This would truly be a test to see who had the best grip with sight unseen events given the day of the comp.

Now my question is, would anyone be interested in this type of an event. It may become a reality if enough would be willing to throw their hat in the game. I would also like to hear from those who would not be interested in an event such as this and what their thoughts are on why.  This would be a very interesting Event IMO . Have a great day everyone and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Joe

love it i would def be down for this type of comp. always planned on a mystery event at my own comp. you could count my whole crew in if its in NY

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tank Andrade said:

love it i would def be down for this type of comp. always planned on a mystery event at my own comp. you could count my whole crew in if its in NY

Tanker, I knew you’d be on board brother!!!!

For years I kept my Medley a secret - but then because I was competing - people starting saying I had an unfair advantage.  Hell at my age I'll take every advantage I can find - and not feel bad about it either :)

Edited by climber511
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

For years I kept my Medley a secret - but then because I was competing - people starting saying I had an unfair advantage.  Hell at my age I'll take every advantage I can find - and not feel bad about it either :)

Yea the only caveat is the promoter will not compete

42 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The events would be a thick bar, pinch,  crush and wrist

Anytime the bold is mentioned and its relatively close, i'm game  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

I had no fear that my NYC brethren would shy from this!!!!

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

And if it’s held it will be here in the northeast I am sure. PA/NY.

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

And if it’s held it will be here in the northeast I am sure. PA/NY.

Cool with me. Its doesn't matter what you pick for crush = grippers with any set or no set, dynameter, any adjustable gripper...................My hand was made to crush stuff.  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Cool with me. Its doesn't matter what you pick for crush = grippers with any set or no set, dynameter, any adjustable gripper...................My hand was made to crush stuff.  

It will be crush, thick bar, vertical bar and pinch as standard for NAGS/arm lifting comps... just.... a mystery muahahahaha

Cool idea! I think there should be stub-like events only 😉 But yea, that definitely adds an extra excitement factor to the table

• Like 1

Also... Ideally there will be no silly events permitted. Just pure, spirit of grip events that have functionality in real life, and no events that would put the participant at unnecessary risk for injury to their hands. This is grip sport, not how much skin can I rip off my hand and take me out of the contest sport. I’m sure most of you can come up with a few contraptions that do just that. In order for this sport to become more main stream there has to be events that the general public can relate to. There seems to be just way too many implements out there that are kind of odd and don’t seem to have much carryover into real world grip. This is just my opinion... and I’m a new born baby to this  game and my 2 cents may mean nothing to you... but this is what I see as a newcomer . Would love to hear opinions on that as well. It seems every 5 minutes there is a new piece of strange gear we have to go out and buy for the latest contest.  

3 minutes ago, temmmeeee said:

Cool idea! I think there should be stub-like events only 😉 But yea, that definitely adds an extra excitement factor to the table

Hahah STUB FO LIFE

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

In order for this sport to become more main stream there has to be events that the general public can relate to

so are you thinking of not using any of the current popular events and creating your own events?

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

so are you thinking of not using any of the current popular events and creating your own events?

No not at all.... just the main strength events. Such as thick bar, V bar, grippers. Hub and pinch devices .... things of that nature that are already the meat and potatoes. There are just too many other things. .... and this is only my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.... that seem useless or can injure the hands.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

No not at all.... just the main strength events. Such as thick bar, V bar, grippers. Hub and pinch devices .... things of that nature that are already the meat and potatoes. There are just too many other things. .... and this is only my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.... that seem useless or can injure the hands.

ok. Cool. Just didn't want to drive hours to crush apples (crush) or pinch 2x4s (pinch) etc and not knowing I signed up for that BS ahead of time 🤣

Edited by Chez

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

V bar

One more thing. If this is in the comp. I want to know ahead of time. You can PM me because I won't do this event. I tore my bicep on the V bar back in 2015 and it took 2.5 years of training and rehab to get my strength back. I think its unnecessarily dangerous. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

One more thing. If this is in the comp. I want to know ahead of time. You can PM me because I won't do this event. I tore my bicep on the V bar back in 2015 and it took 2.5 years of training and rehab to get my strength back. I think its unnecessarily dangerous. 

This is all just speculation and the one running it would know the events. 

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

ok. Cool. Just didn't want to drive hours to crush apples (crush) or pinch 2x4s (pinch) etc and not knowing I signed up for that BS ahead of time 🤣

All events would be legit meat and potatoes Events

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

Like I said... there will be no silly events ideally

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Are you against any kind of V bar lift such as little big horn? Excalibur? The jug? because that narrows the choices down a bit. Plus we are not to know the events ahead of time. Would one of the events being VBAR stop you from doing the others? 

19 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Are you against any kind of V bar lift such as little big horn? Excalibur? The jug? because that narrows the choices down a bit. Plus we are not to know the events ahead of time. Would one of the events being VBAR stop you from doing the others? 

I’m fine with those. Those are “vertical lifts” and they have give since they attach to a loading pin with a carabiner so they have movement. You said “v bar” and that’s what I’m against. It has no give and locks a person in place and that’s why it’s dangerous. 

You have to think about that if you pick events and don’t tell people ahead of time. Many people have torn a bicep on the v bar over the years. People would be upset if there is a dangerous event in the mix and they don’t know until they show up because they already paid and traveled to get to the comp. only reason why I mention it dude. Secret events that people have an issue with but don’t know till they show up can cause an issue . I would be upset if the v bar is an event and I didn’t know until I showed up. I’m looking out for you. 

Edited by Chez

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

I’m fine with those. Those are “vertical lifts” and they have give since they attach to a loading pin with a carabiner so they have movement. You said “v bar” and that’s what I’m against. It has no give and locks a person in place and that’s why it’s dangerous. 

You have to think about that if you pick events and don’t tell people ahead of time. Many people have torn a bicep on the v bar over the years. People would be upset if there is a dangerous event in the mix and they don’t know until they show up because they already paid and traveled to get to the comp. only reason why I mention it dude. Secret events that people have an issue with but don’t know till they show up can cause an issue . I would be upset if the v bar is an event and I didn’t know until I showed up. I’m looking out for you. 

That’s why I said any events that may cause unnecessary risk for injury would be avoided. To me a vertical bar event is classified as any of the variations I mentioned above whether fixed or attached with the caribeaner. Your specific worry is about the fixed VBAR. Yes I’ve heard there can be some issues with that one. 

6 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

If there was ever an event designed to tear skin off - it has to be the V Bar.  2" is better but not immune - 1" should be banned in my opinion.  The carabiner version is not strictly a V- Bar in my opinion.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1