What steel should I get (braced bending)

Fist of Fury

I want to start with braced bending. I tried this stainless steel bar (yes I know you should not use that but it was the only thing I had) at 10 mm * 545 mm:

I think I'm a little bit stronger than this if my arms are 100% fresh. I'm thinking of buying some steel from David Horne (his shop is closed now that's why I don't ask him directly). Based on this result what range do you think I should go for?

I don’t know much about the hot rolled steel easily available in Europe. Ask David Wigren, maybe message him. He would know and I am pretty sure he is from Sweden too. Good luck.

• Like 1

I was thinking of getting calibrated steel. Bars are kinda pricey so I want to make sure the bars I buy are not too easy or too hard for me.

Braced bending anything but HRS is quite dangerous and highly discouraged from me. Does Europe have steel suppliers? In the states I have about 5 in my medium sized city that sell HRS bar stock all the way from 1/4" to 1"+. If you can find one anywhere that would be by far the cheapest and best option. I think the Europeans bend 12mm for short stuff (sub 20"), 15mm for mid bar, and 18mm for long bar.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2018 at 7:26 PM, Fist of Fury said:

I was thinking of getting calibrated steel. Bars are kinda pricey so I want to make sure the bars I buy are not too easy or too hard for me.

I don't know what you can get in Sweden, but I bought a few 12mm bars from my local hardware shop and from amazon. After a few bars you will get a feeling for what is possible. It also depends on the length. Short braced bending aka spike style is from 8" (or even shorter) to 14". Up to 30" is mid length and long bars are up to 48". You use different techniques to bend the different lengths. So I think you just have to try...

I think I'm going for the mid length bars. I definitely needs it to be less hand strength involved since I want to progress on other grip stuff, so short lengths are out of the question.

I think I could have bent the SS bar I tried. I've watched a few vids and I think I was using a bad technique.

Sorry for not seeing this thread sooner. I get my steel from https://montano.se/product.html/rundstang-langd-1000mm?category_id=377 

They are relatively cheap and ship really fast. I actually have a local supplier but I prefer these anyway. I’d get some 12 mm varmvalsad rundstång and work my way down. You should also get a saw made for cutting steel (En redig bågfil med blad anpassade till att såga stål). A sturdy bolt cutter can also cut the 12 mm, but not anything bigger than that. I’d start cutting them to 50-60 cm and start working my way down from there. They should offer a good challenge at that length.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Sorry for not seeing this thread sooner. I get my steel from https://montano.se/product.html/rundstang-langd-1000mm?category_id=377 

They are relatively cheap and ship really fast. I actually have a local supplier but I prefer these anyway. I’d get some 12 mm varmvalsad rundstång and work my way down. You should also get a saw made for cutting steel (En redig bågfil med blad anpassade till att såga stål). A sturdy bolt cutter can also cut the 12 mm, but not anything bigger than that. I’d start cutting them to 50-60 cm and start working my way down from there. They should offer a good challenge at that length.

Thanks, never seen that site before actually. I will buy a few bars and test.

• 3 weeks later...

I should update this. I did order the 12 mm HRS bar recommended and cut it to 55 cm here was the result. The crush is very difficult for me. Any tips on exercises to strengthen the crush part? Steel is expensive, I have a few easier bars to train with but they are a lot easier, not sure if it will have any effect?

How much of a difference does 5 cm make, if I buy a few more and cut them to 60 cm, will it be a lot easier or just a waste of money? 

IMG_0313.JPG

• Like 2

No real exercise will carry over to the crush, that I know of. Just do hits on that bar until you finish it, then go to a shorter piece. You are so close there, maybe just technique tweaks or getting used to this bending and you will have it. Good luck.

• Like 2

What technique are tou using for the crushdown? Leg crush?

Yes between the legs. I've tried against the chest also but it seems harder to get it all the way with that technique?

17 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

The crush is very difficult for me. Any tips on exercises to strengthen the crush part?

Like Don said, just keep hitting and working it, getting the reps in.  The leg crush is painful no matter what you do or technique you use to position.  The body will start to adapt over time, and it will become less painful and more fluid of a movement.

• Like 1

Cut the last 1 m bar I had in half and tried, managed to get the full bend, a friend did the other one. 

How short do I need to go before moving up to 14 mm x 600 mm? Any ideas, @David_wigren?

Don't feel like wasting money on the 14 mm bars if I can't even put a kink in them yet.

IMG_0333.JPG

• Like 1

I’m actually not familiar with the 14 mm bars, I haveno experience bending them. But if I had to guess. Judging by how the 15 mm feels I imagine that once you can bend a 45 cm 12 mm bar, then you should be able to bend the 60 cm 14 mm bar. 

Edited by David_wigren
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, I should order some 14 mm steel next time then.