Braced bending training advice

Jose Cabrera

Im curious to know how you guys train for braced bending, particularly long bar bending but any advice is welcome. How do you guys go about it, how frequently, with other full body stuff? Do you do any unbraced or grip on those days? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Hi Jose,

I Bend 2x a week. I do my braced bending after my unbraced. I normally do a couple bends. When I can do a bend I either work on it until I can do it faster or I cut length off the next workout. If I can’t do a bar, I do ISO’s on it or just move it little by little until I can do it. I think overall strength is important and lifting does help. The days I bend, I just bend. What are you working on now?

Don

• Like 1

Anton and I just ordered a big batch of 5/8 bars, I gotta see where I'm at. I'm looking to train DU along with some long bars. Right now we get together on Saturdays and do some lifting, grip and throw in bending now and again but after the baystate bash we've been hooked and bending consistently.

• Like 6

I got my eye on the 5/8 x 30"! Since the battle of Massachusetts I do believe we're stronger - victory will be ours!

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

I got my eye on the 5/8 x 30"! Since the battle of Massachusetts I do believe we're stronger - victory will be ours!

Hell yeah! You got this! Post your progress. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jose Cabrera said:

Im curious to know how you guys train for braced bending, particularly long bar bending but any advice is welcome. How do you guys go about it, how frequently, with other full body stuff? Do you do any unbraced or grip on those days? Thanks in advance!

Jose - When I was first starting out with braced (long bar), I would train it 1-2 x/week, probably a warm-up bend and a near-max/max attempt.  Say if my max was 5/8 x 25" at the time, I'd do a 32" bar and then a 25.5" bar.  Every 4th week, I'd back off with either some easy 1/2" stuff or skip the week entirely.  During those days, I didn't have any rhyme or reason as far as what specific days I bent.  Sometimes, it'd be with squats or deads; others, it was when I had the time or felt like taking down a PR bend.  Braced didn't affect unbraced too much for me.  

One of the biggest eye-openers for me over the years has been the huge variance in hot-rolled steel from different suppliers.  If you find one that puts out consistent stuff, stock up on it.  Stay away from the big box store steel, as it seems to be more like CRS.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Anton, you will kill this bar!  It'll just me a matter of technique and positioning.  Don't get frustrated with this stuff ... enjoy the journey!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Jose - When I was first starting out with braced (long bar), I would train it 1-2 x/week, probably a warm-up bend and a near-max/max attempt.  Say if my max was 5/8 x 25" at the time, I'd do a 32" bar and then a 25.5" bar.  Every 4th week, I'd back off with either some easy 1/2" stuff or skip the week entirely.  During those days, I didn't have any rhyme or reason as far as what specific days I bent.  Sometimes, it'd be with squats or deads; others, it was when I had the time or felt like taking down a PR bend.  Braced didn't affect unbraced too much for me.  

One of the biggest eye-openers for me over the years has been the huge variance in hot-rolled steel from different suppliers.  If you find one that puts out consistent stuff, stock up on it.  Stay away from the big box store steel, as it seems to be more like CRS.

Thanks Carl, that's kinda what i was thinking, once a week one good effort along with some lifting as a "warmup" of sorts. We have a steel supply that even delivers over here but we have to see about consistency in the next couple orders.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 2:34 PM, Donc101 said:

Hell yeah! You got this! Post your progress. 

Thanks! I just picked the a36 up today - we're bending saturday and I'll let you know how I do

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Anton, you will kill this bar!  It'll just me a matter of technique and positioning.  Don't get frustrated with this stuff ... enjoy the journey!

Thanks! Yea like you said I just gotta sharpen my skills - Definitely loving every work out!