Larratt vs Cadorette

David_wigren

This picture Devon posted the other day where he poses with a flop press instead of a flexed arm cracked me up! 🤣 I have nothing against the flop wrist press but this was just too funny!

BTW, I think their match is this weekend right? Cadorette was looking real big the other day so I think it’s going to be an interesting match!

• Like 2

Oh, their match was already up before I posted. I’m not sure I like it. It seems horribly staged. Devon is just monkying around. Looks like he could’ve smashed Cadorette 3-0 in a flash. Is this the new WAL? Staged like WWE? I can understand that some people are asked to hold back a little if there is a clear difference in strength, like the old Armwars supermatches, but this here felt like it was taking it too far.

https://www.facebook.com/brazoregiomty/videos/1002234519932596/?hc_ref=ARSGGq_BBIhSe1pPUcH7vpK5Sl7ovkM2Tm8OWv5ekHjQERzTW1cVJvQcBiFAyuxsWoA

On 5/18/2018 at 7:04 AM, David_wigren said:

Oh, their match was already up before I posted. I’m not sure I like it. It seems horribly staged. Devon is just monkying around. Looks like he could’ve smashed Cadorette 3-0 in a flash. Is this the new WAL? Staged like WWE? I can understand that some people are asked to hold back a little if there is a clear difference in strength, like the old Armwars supermatches, but this here felt like it was taking it too far.

https://www.facebook.com/brazoregiomty/videos/1002234519932596/?hc_ref=ARSGGq_BBIhSe1pPUcH7vpK5Sl7ovkM2Tm8OWv5ekHjQERzTW1cVJvQcBiFAyuxsWoA

I cannot see why anyone would be asked to hold back their strength in any way in an athletic competition. If the person can’t handle it... they should not be on the table or should lose accordingly. Anything less is fake.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I cannot see why anyone would be asked to hold back there strength in any way in an athletic competition. If the person can’t handle it... they should not be on the table or should lose accordingly. Anything less is fake.

Yes, I agree. But in a way I can understand it. In many cases matches would probably end with 6-0 with 6 flash pins. It was televised and I can imagine that 6 straight flash pins would not be very good TV. I’ve heard some of the swedes talk between rounds after it had become obvious that there was a class difference. I’ve heard things like “well, try to hook instead, for the sake of the show”. Where the fighter is suggested to hold back or use a weaker technique, just to add some excitement into the match.

I don’t think it’s in every match, and in some cases I think it’s the fighters themselves who choose to do it. I’m sure it happens in other combat sports as well, where a fighter will intentionally prolong the fight just to let the audience get their tickets worth.

2 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Yes, I agree. But in a way I can understand it. In many cases matches would probably end with 6-0 with 6 flash pins. It was televised and I can imagine that 6 straight flash pins would not be very good TV. I’ve heard some of the swedes talk between rounds after it had become obvious that there was a class difference. I’ve heard things like “well, try to hook instead, for the sake of the show”. Where the fighter is suggested to hold back or use a weaker technique, just to add some excitement into the match.

I don’t think it’s in every match, and in some cases I think it’s the fighters themselves who choose to do it. I’m sure it happens in other combat sports as well, where a fighter will intentionally prolong the fight just to let the audience get their tickets worth.

It’s a sport though... it’s not about good TV If it’s a sport.... it’s about win or lose... can’t water down a sport for sake of entertainment... then it becomes fakery.

I didn't get the impression anything was staged. Devon was just purposefully prolonging some of the matches for the sake of draining Jerry. He's not prolonging the match for the audience -- he's prolonging it so that his opponent will have less strength for the subsequent matches.

I also don't think Devon was monkeying during the set-ups. He was just genuinely worried about Jerry's ability to get a quick pin and wanted to make sure that he could quickly get into position to avoid it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

It’s a sport though... it’s not about good TV If it’s a sport.... it’s about win or lose... can’t water down a sport for sake of entertainment... then it becomes fakery.

You're too honest haha, rules always get bent when money is involved. This happens in every sport and competition. I think grip is small enough and the prizes are low enough so that we don't see much but if big money ever got into this there would be the same corruption involved in every other activity.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

I didn't get the impression anything was staged. Devon was just purposefully prolonging some of the matches for the sake of draining Jerry. He's not prolonging the match for the audience -- he's prolonging it so that his opponent will have less strength for the subsequent matches.

I also don't think Devon was monkeying during the set-ups. He was just genuinely worried about Jerry's ability to get a quick pin and wanted to make sure that he could quickly get into position to avoid it.

I can agree with this statement for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

You're too honest haha, rules always get bent when money is involved. This happens in every sport and competition. I think grip is small enough and the prizes are low enough so that we don't see much but if big money ever got into this there would be the same corruption involved in every other activity.

Can’t fake grip though. Either you lift it or you don’t. Unfortunately, everyone man has his hand in has some corruption. It’s up to the honest ones with integrity to police them and call them out. 

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Can’t fake grip though. Either you lift it or you don’t. Unfortunately, everyone man has his hand in has some corruption. It’s up to the honest ones with integrity to police them and call them out. 

There is a way to cheat in every sport, humans are very creative. In the 80s cyclists used to cheat by biting a cork tied to fishing line that was pulled by their pace car. Someone always finds a way.

50 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

There is a way to cheat in every sport, humans are very creative. In the 80s cyclists used to cheat by biting a cork tied to fishing line that was pulled by their pace car. Someone always finds a way.

Grips hard to cheat at.

Ok, I saw the match from a better angle. I take back what I said earlier. Not much fakery here.

Why does everyone put Larratt on a pedestal and whenever he struggles use “its for the audience” as an excuse to attempt to prove that he is so damn strong that no one can come close to him? This is just terrible thinking and for some reason is always and only used for Devons matches. Devon nearly getting pinned by an irrelevant guy, “Devon was just testing him out”, Devon having a hard time with heavyweight puller in his malaysia trip “Devon is a titan, he is just letting him win”. HOW DO YOU KNOW? You aren’t Devon, and you can’t know if he’s being beaten or if he’s so incredible strong that he never feels another persons pressure but putting on an act “for the crowd”. What if the other dude is strong? He deserves recognition and respect. If Cyplenkov loses to Devon I might aswell say that Cyplenkov was just putting on an act and just “playing around” or “feeling Devons angles”. My point is, when Devon is having a hard time, and if he gets pinned, stop assuming that he wasn’t trying. This type of thinking is just not healthy and makes you look like a nut hugger. If Jerry got into position and won Devon easily in one of those rounds and made Devon work for it for all matches, give him credit he deserves.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:04 PM, David_wigren said:

Is “looking like” he could smash Cadorette a reliable form of data to prove he could of smashed him? For all we know, Jerry was too strong for Devon as seen in round 2 or 3 (I can’t remember what round) and was just messing around on the other rounds to put on a show, you know, the show that Devon fanboys always talk about when they see Larratt even slightly struggling. Back to the main point of my comment. I am sure when 99.9% of the population see Denis Cyplenkov and Devon Larratt in person, Cyplenkov ‘looks’ like he could smash Larratt, so if Devon does beat Denis in their supermatch, is it okay for me to say that Denis looked like a silverback gorilla and could have smashed  Larratt? I think it would be unfair on Larratt if he wins and people decided that Denis wasn’t trying. Just be thoughtful for both sides.

Edited by Nathan9

10 hours ago, Nathan9 said:

Why does everyone put Larratt on a pedestal and whenever he struggles use “its for the audience” as an excuse to attempt to prove that he is so damn strong that no one can come close to him? This is just terrible thinking and for some reason is always and only used for Devons matches. Devon nearly getting pinned by an irrelevant guy, “Devon was just testing him out”, Devon having a hard time with heavyweight puller in his malaysia trip “Devon is a titan, he is just letting him win”. HOW DO YOU KNOW? You aren’t Devon, and you can’t know if he’s being beaten or if he’s so incredible strong that he never feels another persons pressure but putting on an act “for the crowd”. What if the other dude is strong? He deserves recognition and respect. If Cyplenkov loses to Devon I might aswell say that Cyplenkov was just putting on an act and just “playing around” or “feeling Devons angles”. My point is, when Devon is having a hard time, and if he gets pinned, stop assuming that he wasn’t trying. This type of thinking is just not healthy and makes you look like a nut hugger. If Jerry got into position and won Devon easily in one of those rounds and made Devon work for it for all matches, give him credit he deserves.

I will second that and also what Eric wrote. I was in Malaysia, hanging out with Devon, training with him, competing, talking a lot. And i know his opinion about who is the best armwrestler in the world right now. He knows his place, where he stands. For sure Devon wasn`t fooling around with Jerry.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:53 PM, Schweinemann said:

I will second that and also what Eric wrote. I was in Malaysia, hanging out with Devon, training with him, competing, talking a lot. And i know his opinion about who is the best armwrestler in the world right now. He knows his place, where he stands. For sure Devon wasn`t fooling around with Jerry.

Tell us more!!😀😀

On 5/27/2018 at 8:53 PM, Schweinemann said:

Tell us more!!😀😀

On 5/27/2018 at 10:34 AM, Nathan9 said:

Is “looking like” he could smash Cadorette a reliable form of data to prove he could of smashed him? For all we know, Jerry was too strong for Devon as seen in round 2 or 3 (I can’t remember what round) and was just messing around on the other rounds to put on a show, you know, the show that Devon fanboys always talk about when they see Larratt even slightly struggling. Back to the main point of my comment. I am sure when 99.9% of the population see Denis Cyplenkov and Devon Larratt in person, Cyplenkov ‘looks’ like he could smash Larratt, so if Devon does beat Denis in their supermatch, is it okay for me to say that Denis looked like a silverback gorilla and could have smashed  Larratt? I think it would be unfair on Larratt if he wins and people decided that Denis wasn’t trying. Just be thoughtful for both sides.

Nathan great point, there is alot of Devon nut hugging going on, protecting his awesome reputation by making excuses for every time he seems vulnerable on the table.

It is what it is, I think everyone can judge for themselves. Alot of it comes from the fact that its maybe not cool to struggle with your opponent! You have to smash him or nothing!

The way Denis or Pushkar do.

What do you guys think about the last few supermatches with Devon? The one with Frank and that Norwegian guy? Surely, those matches must’ve just been for show? 

Not trying to hang off of Devon’s nuts, although that would be pretty good grip training. But I just don’t see a guy like Devon having to excert himself to pull those guys.

18 hours ago, David_wigren said:

What do you guys think about the last few supermatches with Devon? The one with Frank and that Norwegian guy? Surely, those matches must’ve just been for show? 

Not trying to hang off of Devon’s nuts, although that would be pretty good grip training. But I just don’t see a guy like Devon having to excert himself to pull those guys.

Its hard to say. ...with Frank there was some showboating for sure....but Frank would be a very strong dude. I dont think he was much of a problem for Devon, and not sure about which Norwegian guy?

On 5/31/2018 at 12:59 PM, kasparov said:

Tell us more!!😀😀

In January he valued Pushkar as the strongest armwrestler right now, i dont think his opinion has changed.

I believe Devon underestimated Frank during the setup (a mistake I also make) which resulted in him losing one round by taking it too easy. One thing people don’t understand is Frank wasn’t just a bodybuilder who decided to have a match with Devon. He was incredibly strong, does grip training and has been practicing armwrestling with Dave Chaffe years before everyone knew about him. They thought he was just another roid monkey so when Devon looked like he was having a bit of a hard time they assumed he was just joking because of the same old prejudice of lifters having “non functional” strength. The match with Robert looked to be legit to me. The main problem I find is people thinking Devon wouldn’t need to exert himself to beat anyone because he’s the best right? Well what stats are we looking at? Is Devon the same as he was in 2012 when he beat Pushkar? Well, he mentioned he did have surgery and since then we haven’t seen him at the same level. I know people like to say he is just putting on a show with Matt Mask and Barboza but It is what it is. We base our opinions on what we see on the table, not some theoretical thoughts such as “If he tried”.

1 hour ago, Nathan9 said:

I believe Devon underestimated Frank during the setup (a mistake I also make) which resulted in him losing one round by taking it too easy. One thing people don’t understand is Frank wasn’t just a bodybuilder who decided to have a match with Devon. He was incredibly strong, does grip training and has been practicing armwrestling with Dave Chaffe years before everyone knew about him. They thought he was just another roid monkey so when Devon looked like he was having a bit of a hard time they assumed he was just joking because of the same old prejudice of lifters having “non functional” strength. The match with Robert looked to be legit to me. The main problem I find is people thinking Devon wouldn’t need to exert himself to beat anyone because he’s the best right? Well what stats are we looking at? Is Devon the same as he was in 2012 when he beat Pushkar? Well, he mentioned he did have surgery and since then we haven’t seen him at the same level. I know people like to say he is just putting on a show with Matt Mask and Barboza but It is what it is. We base our opinions on what we see on the table, not some theoretical thoughts such as “If he tried”.

Matt Mask has a stronger Hand than Devon. I know that, because he personally told me. Matt`s Handstrength is incredible. Ther eis no show unless it goes inside. But Mask looks like he gained some more serious power since their last encounter. The way he handled Barboza is impressive. I wish we could see him against the big dogs.

Edited by Schweinemann

On 5/18/2018 at 6:04 AM, David_wigren said:

Looks like he could’ve smashed Cadorette 3-0 in a flash. Is this the new WAL? Staged like WWE? 

Staged?  Who knows for sure. 

But WAL is made-for-TV arm wrestling. No disrespect to the athletes. The WAL federation was put together for the same purposes as any pro sport: to make money. 

• Like 1