Human Flag At 97.3kg (215lbs)

patrickmeniru

Weighing a little over 97kg at the moment (97.3 at last check), pretty sure that this is the leanest I've been at this bodyweight, flag is feeling really strong on both sides. Things that I've improved are keeping the top arm locked (it looks a little bit bent but I think that's just the camera angle), maintaining the position on a pole (i.e. not swinging, which I think we a combination of mobility, balance and core control) and not rotating my torso towards the sky (which makes it look better but is also more demanding on the obliques). The one thing I still need to master is remembering to point my toes! I'd like to work towards a 30 second flag (I never do them to failure but I think my best hold is around 10 seconds - although you'll see from the video that the form wasn't quite as good as it is now (video is from November 2017, picture below is from last weekend, although I don't have a current video, so you'll have to take my word for it that I didn't just hop up into the pose for a split second...).

Just to be clear, I haven't used this as a training movement or strength builder so far, more so a party trick, but I think it's a pretty cool one that you don't see too many heavier guys performing.

Edited by patrickmeniru
  • Like 7

That is super impressive stuff, dude! Your flag is stronger than mine and I weigh 10 -15kg less than you, and I probably train the movement more 😅!

But I disagree with the claim that it is not a great strength builder! It is definitely a great strength builder for your core and the lat on your top arm. It also works the shoulder a bit on the lower arm, but granted, not that hard. I’d say that if you work both sides, it will get your core and lats very strong! It’s also great for mobility. If your shoulders and lats are stiff then you can’t do it.

Edited by David_wigren

Thanks David! I agree that it does work the bottom shoulder, top lat and core really hard, I should have been a little more accurate - what I meant was that it hasn't been a great strength builder for me personally so far (have made an edit to the original post) BUT I think a big reason for that was because (1) I haven't trained it that  much, weighted pullups and handstands are my staples for building  my lats/shoulders and (2) I couldn't hold the position for long enough to actually get a good training stimulus (I would start swinging around or otherwise fall out before the abs/lat and shoulder had a chance to really work hard. Now I can hold it a bit longer I think it can be useful, I'm hoping to train it a little more often so I guess I'll soon find out!

And yes, I really like how a lot of bodyweight skills have an integrated mobility element, and encourage me to keep working on getting better positions!

Edited by patrickmeniru
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Find sturdy post. Ask a friend to climb up and stand on top of you during the flag. Bask in eternal glory!