Blob Maintenance

Speezy101

With certain YORK Blobs that i get, thay are either super rusted out or basically white from heavy chalk use. 

So my question is this.   Is it a huge no no to de-rust a blob in vinegar to strip it of rust and spray a light coat of flat black paint?      I don't want to use a rusted out blob and every time I do I have basically red rust all over my hands. With  Fatman YORK blobs , were they not originally painted from the factory or powdercoated black etc etc ?

What " de-values" a original blob if anything?   Does stripping it down to bare metal and lightly painting it diminish the performance or  value/resale at all?  Or it just nice to have a certain "patina" on it etc?  if you bought a blob and it was repainted or reconditioned, would you care ?  After continual use and being banged around the gym, i am sure it will go back to having its own character again on the finish.

What's everybody's thoughts on this?

New paint makes the blob slick in my experience. Even textured spray paint.

Original finish is best, especially from a collector's stand point, but also from a texture standpoint. If it's already been repainted once, then it doesn't really matter.

Take the least aggressive approach before moving on to heavier duty cleaning. Rust and chalk can be brushed off most of the time.

1. Take a brass brush (or nylon wheel brush if you have a high powered drill) to the blob. (A STEEL brush will remove paint.) This should knock off the type of rust that would come off on your hand. Is it good yet?

2. Dunk in vinegar or apply some with spray bottle and hit it again with the brush while it's wet. Wipe dry. Is it good yet?

3. Submerge in vingar for a few minutes, and repeat steps above.

4. All else fails, strip the paint with Citristrip, Acetone, or other stripper of your choice... plus a wire wheel brush. Repaint.

Restoring other rusty vintage weights would include some 3-in-1 oil, but we obviously don't want to grease up our grip toys.

Edited by DAVE101

I would not use power tools. Wipe down with rubbing alcohol and a rag if rusty. Too much chalk, plastic bristle brush by hand then re-chalk.

When there is too much chalk, I wipe it down with one of my used ironmind pads. This also works well to remove/ lessen hand oils between lifts and rechalking.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2015 at 3:21 PM, 1stCoC said:

Altering the surface of the Blob by anything other than natural rust ,wear and patina is kinda defeating the challenge. The shape and finish make it a worthy feat. 50 lb. Isn't much of a pinch otherwise.

Keep hydrated, Blob degreased,and clean , wash Hans right prior to gripping to raise natural ridges of fingerprints and to eliminate oils. Chalk.....never used it with good results . If you keep a warm wet cloth nearby you can easily hydrate your hands. The dryer , and tougher skin is the less chance for success. Let nature do its work.

Here is what the man himself has to say about blob textures.  

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Try using Sentry Products Marine Tuf-Glide. I use it on the FBBC Pro-DB and Iron Mind axle, works great. Available at Amazon.

• Like 1

I cant imagine lifting a blob without chalk .  I always chalk heavy and it works for me.  Im going to give what you said a try though .

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 9:54 AM, acromegaman said:

When there is too much chalk, I wipe it down with one of my used ironmind pads. This also works well to remove/ lessen hand oils between lifts and rechalking.

^ This +1

• Like 1