Rules Overview – 10:45am
Contest Start – 11am

Events:

Rolling Thunder
Silver Bullet
Hub
Blockbuster Pinch Block
Little Big Horn

Maximum 4 Attempts, Rising Bar Format (Silver Bullet will be single successful attempt within one minute)
Official IronMind rules will be used for all events. 
All IronMind grippers will be available for the Silver Bullet (from Guide through to #4).

Weight Classes:

Men’s 80 kg
Men’s 100 kg
Men’s 100+ kg
Women’s Open

Percentage-based Scoring

Awards for the top three finishers in each class

Entry Fee - $30

Open to All!

Contact Eric Roussin via private message, email (eroussin@rogers.com) or phone (613-986-1724) to register or for further information, including venue details.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2018 at 11:34 PM, Eric Roussin said:

Ontario Armlifting Open

Saturday, July 14th, 2018

Ottawa, ON

Weigh-ins – 10am to 10:30am
Rules Overview – 10:45am
Contest Start – 11am

Events:

Rolling Thunder
Silver Bullet
Hub
Blockbuster Pinch Block
Little Big Horn

Maximum 4 Attempts, Rising Bar Format (Silver Bullet will be single successful attempt within one minute)
Official IronMind rules will be used for all events. 
All IronMind grippers will be available for the Silver Bullet (from Guide through to #4).

Weight Classes:

Men’s 80 kg
Men’s 100 kg
Men’s 100+ kg
Women’s Open

Percentage-based Scoring

Awards for the top three finishers in each class

Entry Fee - $30

Open to All!

Contact Eric Roussin via private message, email (eroussin@rogers.com) or phone (613-986-1724) to register or for further information, including venue details.

Hey Eric this sounds great! It’s open to US participants? May have to take the ride up!

Yes, everyone's invited!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 10:45 PM, Eric Roussin said:

Yes, everyone's invited!

I may be coming to this competition for sure! The events are great! Been thinking about it more and more!!

There is a small chance I can make this.  Questions: 

1) is there a cheap motel nearby?;

2) if weight classes are not NAGS 66-74-83-93-105-120-120+, do the stats not count for NAGS, or do they just use your actual weight for those?;

3) Dan, if I come all the way up to the tundra for this, would you please stay the f at 177.5 so you can be in the 100 kg class and let me have a shot at the 80?

4) anyone from NYC area wanna carpool this?

I'm getting divorced and need to keep costs down, so I'm trying to see if I can make this work.  Looks fun.

I can answer some of these questions:

1) I'll be running this contest out of my basement gym. There are no motels/hotels within walking distance, but several that are within a 10-minute drive. Search "hotels in Ottawa Ontario" and you'll find a bunch. I live in Orleans, in the eastern part of the city. Cheap options start at about $80 USD equivalent per night.

2) Stats will be recorded for the Armlifting USA site. Weights will be recorded based on the competitors' actual weight. So If I weigh 90kg and I compete in the 100kg class, my lifts will be included in the 90kg class on the Armlifting USA site. As of right now, the lifts will not be recorded in the NAGS database, due to NAGS' current definition of "attempt". Under Armlifting USA rules, "attempt" is defined as "unlimited attempts within a minute". Under current NAGS rules, "attempt" is understood as "one minute within which to make a single attempt". This topic is currently under discussion with the NAGS committee, and there's a possibility this rule may change. If it does, then the results could also be entered on the NAGS site (based on actual competitor weight). The biggest barrier seems to be regarding the comparability of results going forward with historic results. I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on this issue.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

I can answer some of these questions:

1) I'll be running this contest out of my basement gym. There are no motels/hotels within walking distance, but several that are within a 10-minute drive. Search "hotels in Ottawa Ontario" and you'll find a bunch. I live in Orleans, in the eastern part of the city. Cheap options start at about $80 USD equivalent per night.

2) Stats will be recorded for the Armlifting USA site. Weights will be recorded based on the competitors' actual weight. So If I weigh 90kg and I compete in the 100kg class, my lifts will be included in the 90kg class on the Armlifting USA site. As of right now, the lifts will not be recorded in the NAGS database, due to NAGS' current definition of "attempt". Under Armlifting USA rules, "attempt" is defined as "unlimited attempts within a minute". Under current NAGS rules, "attempt" is understood as "one minute within which to make a single attempt". This topic is currently under discussion with the NAGS committee, and there's a possibility this rule may change. If it does, then the results could also be entered on the NAGS site (based on actual competitor weight). The biggest barrier seems to be regarding the comparability of results going forward with historic results. I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on this issue.

Being known as the cardiac kid by my man Lucas Raymond… I am all for the one minute time limit as a lot of times on the first attempt  It slips out of the handsrjust because you’re not adjusted right or for some other reason with the chalk.

Edited by Guest

Also everybody elses greasy hands on it could affect the seasoning of it Making it slip out of your hand On the first try especially Vbar or Little Big Horn

Anyone who’d like to try to officially certify on the Crushed to Dust Challenge will have the opportunity to do so at this contest.

15 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Anyone who’d like to try to officially certify on the Crushed to Dust Challenge will have the opportunity to do so at this contest.

Sweet

Lifts made in this contest will be recorded in the GSI Top 100 database. The results will be entered into the appropriate weight class (based on the competitor's actual weight).

14 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Lifts made in this contest will be recorded in the GSI Top 100 database. The results will be entered into the appropriate weight class (based on the competitor's actual weight).

That’s great!

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, Eric Roussin said:

Ugh, maybe when Ironmind makes the rolling thunder number sub-superhuman.  It may as well be called rolling thunder challenge, because who in heck can do 90 kg on rolling thunder and NOT close a COC2 and hub 20kg EASILY?  I can close a COC3 and hub 25 kg and I will never come CLOSE to 90kg on rolling thunder, and that is kind of what almost everyone who can't do this challenge says.  Such a weird feat.  Not saying challenges should be doable by everyone, either -- just that the numbers on this one don't make sense.  Up the gripper and hub, or lower the rolling thunder, or just call it the rolling thunder challenge that it is.  Anyone with me on this?  No big deal I guess, the odd disparity just annoys me and I had to vent.

I also have a question on the Silver Bullet.  How is the scoring done if all different grippers are available for use?  Obviously there must be some premium for doing it with a harder gripper, but depending on how much the length of time counts as compared to the difficulty of the gripper, a competitor may not wish to use the hardest gripper he/she can hold for any amount fo time, right?  Because one kind of needs to know how the scoring will rank 10 seconds on a COC 3 versus, for example, 60 seconds on a COC 2.5 or 2, in order to know which gripper to attempt?

47 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Ugh, maybe when Ironmind makes the rolling thunder number sub-superhuman.  It may as well be called rolling thunder challenge, because who in heck can do 90 kg on rolling thunder and NOT close a COC2 and hub 20kg EASILY?  I can close a COC3 and hub 25 kg and I will never come CLOSE to 90kg on rolling thunder, and that is kind of what almost everyone who can't do this challenge says.  Such a weird feat.  Not saying challenges should be doable by everyone, either -- just that the numbers on this one don't make sense.  Up the gripper and hub, or lower the rolling thunder, or just call it the rolling thunder challenge that it is.  Anyone with me on this?  No big deal I guess, the odd disparity just annoys me and I had to vent.

I have done 90 kilos and of course can close a # 2 and a 45 hub.... I do agree that a 90 kilo RT Is light years ahead of a number 2 close and 45 hub. It is a big disparity. Haha

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I know a guy for whom 45 on the Hub is more difficult than 200 on the RT. A few bigger handed guys are in the same boat. But I agree that there are way more people who are stumped by the RT requirement for the CTD Challenge. One thing I haven’t seen yet is someone who’s having trouble certifying because of the gripper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I also have a question on the Silver Bullet.  How is the scoring done if all different grippers are available for use?  Obviously there must be some premium for doing it with a harder gripper, but depending on how much the length of time counts as compared to the difficulty of the gripper, a competitor may not wish to use the hardest gripper he/she can hold for any amount fo time, right?  Because one kind of needs to know how the scoring will rank 10 seconds on a COC 3 versus, for example, 60 seconds on a COC 2.5 or 2, in order to know which gripper to attempt?

The scoring is explained in detail on the Armlifting USA site, but I can confirm that a hold of any duration on a gripper will score higher than a hold of any duration on an easier gripper.

• Like 1

^Also, you have the opportunity to drop down to an easier gripper if you fail to get a hold with the first gripper you select. But your hold has to be started within 60 seconds.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

^Also, you have the opportunity to drop down to an easier gripper if you fail to get a hold with the first gripper you select. But your hold has to be started within 60 seconds.

Even without going to the site, your responses completely answer my question, thanks.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

I know a guy for whom 45 on the Hub is more difficult than 200 on the RT. A few bigger handed guys are in the same boat. But I agree that there are way more people who are stumped by the RT requirement for the CTD Challenge. One thing I haven’t seen yet is someone who’s having trouble certifying because of the gripper.

I can name one , at the Philly comp. 

Edited by Guest

^Really? He got the RT and the Hub but failed on the gripper? I suspect that’s a strong dude who just needs to work on his set.

1 minute ago, Eric Roussin said:

^Really? He got the RT and the Hub but failed on the gripper? I suspect that’s a strong dude who just needs to work on his set.

Yes exactly! I’m sure he is capable... just didn’t get it there

18 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yes exactly! I’m sure he is capable... just didn’t get it there

Wow, that is surprising.