Old Dax

Basic Hub training

Old Dax

Hi, just got a hub (not sure what the brand is) off eBay. How do I go about training on it, should I aim for reps at a certain weight (say 10 kg for 3 sets of 12) or go for timed sets (say hold the 10kg for 15-20sec) ? Should I ramp up to find a max at any time?

As you might guess I'm pretty weak on this.

Buccos1

I've done a lot of experimentation with the Hub and have had the most success with bi-weekly sessions, low reps and heavier weight.  

• Like 1

Old Dax

Thanks Buccos I'll start on that tack.

:)

wobbler

First time do a couple reps after you're, already warmed up, build up to a comfortable but challenging weight, then see how you feel the next day. Hub hits the fingers a little different than anything else, need to get used to the stress.

• Like 2

FrankD
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wobbler said:

First time do a couple reps after you're, already warmed up, build up to a comfortable but challenging weight, then see how you feel the next day. Hub hits the fingers a little different than anything else, need to get used to the stress.

I agree with this. I badly injured a finger tendon going to heavy on the hub and missing/dropping a lift. The implement came loose from my hand near lockout and my index finger felt like something popped. This happened after a long layoff from training it, and I was going too heavy, too fast. My hands were not yet re-accustomed to the lift. I know others who have done this as well.  Just be careful with it. 

Edited by FrankD
  • Like 1

wobbler

Yeah, you do not want to drop a hub lift. If you start to slip, bail immediately. Best case scenario, part of your thumb goes numb for 5 minutes. And it will get in your head too.

Adam Juncker

I find it to be really hard on the fingers and skin. I don't even really train it anymore unless for a contest. To prep for the 4forFeb contest I think I only trained hub about 6 times in 9 weeks. I still pulled 29.8k. 

My prep for the contest consisted of a max test, then doing timed holds at 75-85% of my max.  

John McCarter

Don't rush anything, just start out light, I think I started out with 13 lbs. Just get use to using it and just add weight at a comfortable and controllable rate as you progress.

• Like 2

Old Dax
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:37 AM, John McCarter said:

Don't rush anything, just start out light, I think I started out with 13 lbs. Just get use to using it and just add weight at a comfortable and controllable rate as you progress.

I certainly stated light 5kg plus a v. light pin. doing about 8.5kg (18.7 lb) for 4 sets of eight.

Weirdly my left hand seem better (slightly) than my dominant right.

I'm doing these once per week after Rolling thunder (poor man's version- Fat Gripz on a cable handle).