2018 April - Philly Fit Expo - Joe Sullivan

What can I say about this weekend! It was phenomenal. I met so many gripsters that I have not gotten a chance to meet until now. Riccardo Magni, Steve Nichols, Eric Roussin, Pat Maizels, John Mauser, Odd Haugen and many I have never heard of but were very impressive!

As many of you know I am recovering from a torn pulley in my left middle finger. I was not expecting much out of this competition. I surprised myself as I have zero experience with iron mind implements. First event was great with 90 kilo rolling thunder and even pulled a medal out of the deal! Happy days are here again!! 

Second event was axle with an easy opener of 330 pounds. Jumped to 341 and the finger would not cooperate. Dropped it at lockout 2x and by the grace of God and a change in hand position from wide to narrow clinched it at 10 seconds remaining!JOYOUS!! I’ve gotten 370 in training but the finger wouldn’t allow it. Such is life. 

Final event for Saturday was Silver bullet. Another new one for me. Was going to do the #3 but I said to  myself “no risk no reward”. I went for the 3.5 and got a hold on the bullet for 2.37 seconds which would have superceded any 3 time so was happy. Only used the 3.5 once before this and got 5 seconds.

Now for what I snapped the pulley in in training THE FIRST TIME HUBBING! got 56 pounds which I was happy with never having trained it. 

I pulled another one out with a 77 pound blockbuster pinch with 2 drops and a save at the final 10 seconds AGAIN! @Lucasraymond now calls me the cardiac kid!!

Now for the final event... 2 inch country crush!!! So slick!!! The forearms were sore after this one. Pulled out a 317.5 pull and was happy to call it a day! 

I hope this happens again next year and I highly recommend it to all the east coast gripsters to make the trip and throw their hat in the game! Win, lose or draw you will have a great time and experience something you might not have before!

Joe

It was awesome to see you successfully make your attempts with the axle and pinch block with just seconds to spare after the initial misses!

Great job Big Baad Joe!! You had a bad finger(s)no experience on some implements and still put up fantastic numbers!!

22 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

It was awesome to see you successfully make your attempts with the axle and pinch block with just seconds to spare after the initial misses!

Thanks Eric! I was extremely impressed with your strength! I think you got back to Canada before  I got back to Syracuse!! You had your post up when I got home!!!!

19 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Great job Big Baad Joe!! You had a bad finger(s)no experience on some implements and still put up fantastic numbers!!

Mikey I gotta say.... I had to make those lifts!!! Did not want to disappoint Greshy!!!!

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Mikey I gotta say.... I had to make those lifts!!! Did not want to disappoint Greshy!!!!

Disappointing Greshy - bad.

You did a great job.  We are all rooting for you to make those lifts.  Super fun to see you get focused and execute!!

• Like 1

Joe, Great job.  Still very new to grip competition, and looking like an experienced veteran.  Way to not lose your cool when you initially missed on those attempts.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Joe, Great job.  Still very new to grip competition, and looking like an experienced veteran.  Way to not lose your cool when you initially missed on those attempts.

Thanks brother! I had the time of my life my man! Can’t wait to do it again! Always a pleasure being around you guys!!

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Jedd, also super congrats on YOUR PERFORMANCE! Never cease to amaze and I’m proud to have you as a good friend!!

Well done and congrats

17 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Jedd, also super congrats on YOUR PERFORMANCE! Never cease to amaze and I’m proud to have you as a good friend!!

Thanks man.

Joe, it was great to meet you too! To me you were the most impressive. To fail multiple times in 1 minute and end up succeeding with only a few seconds left is unreal, and to do it twice in one comp is unheard of! For that reason alone I can tell how tough your going to be to compete against in further competition. Looking forward to our next Battle of the Hands. (That’s a good name for a comp.🤓) speedy recovery Joe!!!

6 minutes ago, SNichols said:

Joe, it was great to meet you too! To me you were the most impressive. To fail multiple times in 1 minute and end up succeeding with only a few seconds left is unreal, and to do it twice in one comp is unheard of! For that reason alone I can tell how tough your going to be to compete against in further competition. Looking forward to our next Battle of the Hands. (That’s a good name for a comp.🤓) speedy recovery Joe!!!

Steve I have not stopped telling people how impressed I am with you brother! Thank you for your kind words my man. I am determined to be the best I can at this!! I enjoyed our time this weekend my man! Wished we lived closer so we can hit some training together bro! We will cross paths again soon!!!! Congrats on your awesome performance!!!!

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Steve I have not stopped telling people how impressed I am with you brother! Thank you for your kind words my man. I am determined to be the best I can at this!! I enjoyed our time this weekend my man! Wished we lived closer so we can hit some training together bro! We will cross paths again soon!!!! Congrats on your awesome performance!!!!

Steve, Do you have an Instagram brother? I just got one. It’s grippingforJesus78 

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Steve, Do you have an Instagram brother? I just got one. It’s grippingforJesus78 

No, not yet. I might get one. Gotta talk to the wife about it. We share a FB account. Keeps the fighting to a minimum! Lol. 

Just now, SNichols said:

No, not yet. I might get one. Gotta talk to the wife about it. We share a FB account. Keeps the fighting to a minimum! Lol. 

Dude I’ve held out for so long without it.... only got it to keep track of the Grip game. My wife and I share email!!! Haha!! I am very anti social media.... but for grip and strength it’s great!

Yea I originally got FB for armwrestling. Haha. Now Instagram is getting more popular. Another year or two they’ll have something else.

12 hours ago, SNichols said:

Yea I originally got FB for armwrestling. Haha. Now Instagram is getting more popular. Another year or two they’ll have something else.

1EFB1FDB-CE6D-452E-9E14-4ABCC2E660C3.jpeg