2018 April - Philadelphia ViseGrip Viking - Riccardo Magni

riccardomagni

2018  ViseGrip Viking contest in Philadelphia

Bodyweight 222.9# (101.1kg)

This was a two day contest packed with 6 events. There was a star-studded line up and I was excited to be a part of not only competing, but also organizing this contest along with the ViseGrip Viking himself, Odd Haugen.

The trip started off for me with a screw in my tire before my 3.5 hour drive to LAX before my 5 hour flight to Philly. No problem.

Day 1

Rolling Thunder

I felt great.  Right off the bat, there was lots of strategy at play.  I went with 80kg, 87.5kg, and 90kg. I have lifted 90kg at my last two contests and really wanted 92.5kg.  However, the percentage based scoring system was in full effect - giving away any kilos is not a good idea with so many stars in attendance. It was difficult taking so many attempts close together as most of the field was out at 90kg.  I made 90kg very easily and then I went for 92.5kg on my 4th attempt. I Iifted it high enough, I couldn't quite hold it long enough at the top of the lift. I won my class and got 3rd overall out of 16 men.

Apollon's Axle

Again, more strategy at play.  I made 155kg and 165kg easy enough (PR at this weight class), but then I went for it.  I went to 172.5kg for a lifetime PR and more importantly, 2nd place in the event. I pulled it easily, but unfortunately Iost it right at the top.  Total bummer, but that's what happens when you go for it. I ended up with my worst finish of the contest in 5th place.

Silver Bullet

Knowing that Jedd Johnson was a former WR record holder in this event, I knew that I needed to really make something happen here.  Unfortunately, I only held the #3.5 for 6.16 seconds. This was 4th place. I was a bit disappointed with this result, but that's all that I had on that day.

I was in 4th place in the overall after day 1.  I ate 2 dinners and knew that I had to be “on” on Day 2 in order to finish on the podium.

Day 2

One thing that I have been working on is my peaking strategy.  I trained many times prior to this meet, including 2 times per day most days since California's Strongest Hands in February. I have been openly criticized by more than one person that I train too much, can't possibly get stronger, are going to get hurt, etc. Let's see how it turned out.

The Hub

My first attempt was 27kg (59.5#).  Easy. I went to 29.5kg (65#). Easier.  32kg (70#) easy. I went for 33.75kg (73#) to tie Lucas Raymond on points and set a PR.  EASY. For fun, I loaded 34.5kg (76#) for the crowd, which was growing larger by the lift.  GOOD LIFT! I wonder how much I left on the table… This hurt me in the overall because if I had won by even more, I would have gotten even more points. Much thanks to the Chalk Whisperer, Lucas Raymond, for performing magic on the Hub AND for pushing me with a fantastic performance.

1st place.

Blockbuster Pinch Block

This is an event that is improving for me. I opened safely with 30.5kg (67.2#).  I went to 33kg (72.7#). Easy. I then went to 35.5kg (78#) and made it for a PR!  Still going strong, I then went to 38kg (84#) and made it easily. 88-91# was certainly possible. Again, more magic from the Chalk Whisperer.

3rd place again.

2” Country Crush Deadlift

In powerlifting, there is a famous quote that the meet doesn't start until the bar hits the floor.  There were several possibilities in the overall going into this final event. My PR was 361# going into this event.  I’ll be honest; I had tons of energy. My insane training schedule paid off. I looked around and saw lots of tired faces. I had to be aggressive. Opener 144.5kg (318#) was easy.  Then 154.5kg (340#) was strong. I went for a PR on my 3rd at 164.5kg (362.6#). It wasn't easy, but I got it!! I had to follow myself with 5kg more and it wasn't going to happen.

Overall:

Jedd Johnson 1st

Eric Roussin 2nd

Me  3rd

I was very happy with this result.  I worked hard. Lots of people helped me get ready and stay ready.  Thank you.

To the new friends I made, thank you!

To all competitors, thanks for having the courage to put it all on the line… I hope that you had fun. Lots of PR's were set. I think a good time was had by all.

Next contest, July 8 in the Training Hall in Newbury Park, CA.

Thanks for reading. Video to follow in the next couple of days…

• Like 9

Great write up and congrats on the fantastic performance. Too bad about the axle, you'll get it next time!

22 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Fantastic I would say. Congratulations and cool write up.

Thanks!  Fun event with some very talented folks...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Great write up and congrats on the fantastic performance. Too bad about the axle, you'll get it next time!

Thanks!! Training for able has moved to the top of my priority list now.

Riccardo, wonderful write-up and once again great results. You are the hardest working man in grip and you continue the big-time results.

5 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Riccardo, wonderful write-up and once again great results. You are the hardest working man in grip and you continue the big-time results.

Dude the guy was on fire. He’s made so much improvement with all the weight loss and looks muscular too! Didnt lose the weight and look weak!!

14 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Dude the guy was on fire. He’s made so much improvement with all the weight loss and looks muscular too! Didnt lose the weight and look weak!!

Yes, and Riccardo didn't lose any strength but actually gained!! I asked him few months ago if he flexes in front of his wife- then I remembered Iam the one that does that silly stuff to my wife:)

2 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Yes, and Riccardo didn't lose any strength but actually gained!! I asked him few months ago if he flexes in front of his wife- then I remembered Iam the one that does that silly stuff to my wife:)

Same here bro. She’s not impressed. Haha. I’m just a normal dude to her. (My wife not yours) haha

Edited by Guest

It was a pleasure competing with you...nice when you have a group that pushes each other to do better. 

Great job Riccardo.  You made me push my game up at the contest.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Thanks Michael.  I am having a lot of fun. 

12 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Thanks Joe.  Besides looking muscular, the muscles can actually lift something also! 😇

9 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

It was a pleasure competing with you...nice when you have a group that pushes each other to do better. 

Agreed 100%.  You are a world class armlifter and I would be lying if I said I wasn't partially planning my attempt strategy to stay ahead of you... Great job! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Great job Riccardo.  You made me push my game up at the contest.

Thanks, Jedd.  Great job to you as well.  I did my best but wasn't quite strong enough to get you this time...we'll see if I can make you work a little harder next time! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, riccardomagni said:

Thanks Joe.  Besides looking muscular, the muscles can actually lift something also! 😇

That’s the name of the game man! You saw my 150 pound brother. He’s got quite a grip. When it was audience time to test the the rolling thunder he pulled 135 which is almost body weight and this after Him  big gorilla couldn’t budge it.

Very well done and nice write up. Congrats

9 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Very well done and nice write up. Congrats

Thanks!

• Like 1