Unbraced Benders Where Ya'll At???

Martin Gaisser

5 hours ago, Gary Brown said:

I just started bending again as of today. I certified on the Red in 2005. Worked on other things and want to do the Red again. Kinked it in leather today on my first day back. I'm not a big fan of leather wraps but I'm using it as kind of a bridge between Blue in IMP and Red in IMP.

Cool ... welcome back.  Personally, I wouldn't mess around with leathers, especially if you're trying to do the Red again in single IMPs.  There are a lot of ways to step up from the Blue, to assure incremental gains, safely and consistently.  Have you bent any drill rod?  A great in-between bar (below the Red) is 1/4 x 7" square.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gary Brown said:

Thanks I'm looking for tips. How frequently do you bend and volume too?

My volume is way down from what it used to be due to age and injuries.  The first few years I bent, I'd bend every 3-4 days, prob 8-10 bars per session, most of them easier, leading up to 1-2 big/goal bar attempts.  Now, I usually do a double-over session every 10 days, with 4-5 bars per session.

I found some quarter inch square in the building and cut them to 7". I'll try it next workout. Thanks for the tips. How old are you? I'll be 50 soon and I can tell.

38 minutes ago, Gary Brown said:

I found some quarter inch square in the building and cut them to 7". I'll try it next workout. Thanks for the tips. How old are you? I'll be 50 soon and I can tell.

One caveat ... I bought some 1/4" x 3' at a home improvement store and it was ridiculously easy.  Almost a joke.  Most of the 1/4" square I've had has been tough with this exception.  I'm 45 and have been bending for 10 years consistently.  Injuries have been piling up the past year-or-two, but I'm still plugging along, at least as long as I can continue (in a semi-respectable way).  

1/4" Grade 5s are a good stepping stone and great stock to train volume, but are considerably lower (on average) than the square.  If you want to do the Red in IMPs again, I'd keep a focus on the longer stuff.  6" stock can really help with the crush, but won't have much carryover with the kink.  Another great bar to target would be 19/64" drill rod.  Not-so-far-off from the Red and is tough on the transitions.

• 8 months later...

I thought it´s time to take the dust from this thread.

In a time where only a few unbraced benders are active and all the big certs like FBBC and Iron Grip didn´t work anymore. Very sadly!

Who is active at the moment and which goals are set?

Actually I´m working on the 10.9 or Grade 8 Bolt.

Here are some bends from me in the last months:

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Horrido said:

In a time where only a few unbraced benders are active and all the big certs like FBBC and Iron Grip didn´t work anymore. Very sadly!

Actually I´m working on the 10.9 or Grade 8 Bolt.

Here are some bends from me in the last months:

Theres quite a few of us floating around. But most are not on the gripboard. You will most likely find them on instagram or facebook.

I follow you on instagram. Peter W is still at it, you got Tom F, David Horne, Danny Young (on here) Tony Reid dabbles in unbraced once in awhile. Don cummings is active in just about every facet of bending. 

Honestly the gripboard isnt the place for benders anymore. No one but a few give a damn and non benders are more interested in inch lifts then what we do anyways. I tried to start a hashtag (thisweekinbending) that way we could all keep track of each other on social media. But no one adopted it. 

• Like 7

Yes, I know. I am active on Instagram but not on Facebook. I know the listed guys. I am in contact with Peter and it was great to see the bending contest from Don.

There are always some guys in russia and italy, but it's only a few and since the big certs are not longer active it's hard to see new benders or newcomers.

But I see that I have to cert at GBI. Will try some steel in the next sessions maybe.

I am always interessted in other benders especially DO so I thought to ask some goals from the others.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Horrido said:

Yes, I know. I am active on Instagram but not on Facebook. I know the listed guys. I am in contact with Peter and it was great to see the bending contest from Don.

There are always some guys in russia and italy, but it's only a few and since the big certs are not longer active it's hard to see new benders or newcomers.

But I see that I have to cert at GBI. Will try some steel in the next sessions maybe.

I am always interessted in other benders especially DO so I thought to ask some goals from the others.

Really big bends you are doing! Your unbraced and Carl’s Braced are really high level right now. I have a bunch of goals I want to do, some of them DO. I need to figure out what I want to go for first, so I can dedicate my efforts correctly. I will let you know what I come up with.

We had 2 newer benders at the contest, Chris and Amir. They both started bending to help their martial arts. They both have a bright future with bending. It’s good to get new people exposed to this madness.

Have a good one!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Horrido said:

Actually I´m working on the 10.9 or Grade 8 Bolt [....]

I'm still active! I'm currently working on the Red DO (bending M drill rod as my working bends), aiming for a grade 5 bolt reverse (my weakest style), and working on the 1/4 Square double underhand (knocked out some 9/32 this weekend and bent the square to 7 degrees at Don's competition).

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Donc101 said:

We had 2 newer benders at the contest, Chris and Amir. They both started bending to help their martial arts. They both have a bright future with bending. It’s good to get new people exposed to this madness.

Chris and Amir were both very impressive. Amir's medley showing was extremely fun to watch, and Chris was throwing everything he had at his wrench, right down to jamming the head into his thigh after the wrap fell off with short time left. They're both going to be excellent if they stick with it.

• Like 5

@Donc101 cheers man! Your feats in every bending aspect are also very impressive.

And with your log here and your contest your are doing a great job for the bending community. Huge thanks for that!

And yes, let us destroy some big steel DO!

Always great to hear, when new guys jump into this wonderful bending thing, I hope to hear something in future.

Carl, Martin and I are also on a mission to keep some guys to the bending feats.

@Tom Flesher sounds good and thanks for info. Keep going!

• Like 4

Ive put bending on Hiatus until my weight is where I want it. My body wont allow crossfit and bending..so Im stuck at DU red until whenever.

but I can bend just about anything under reds. Kinked a 5.5” grade 8 DU, bent 5.5  1/4 square, kinked a 5” 1/4 square as well. Bent 6.5” “L” drill rod.  The list goes on. But none of that matters if you cant bend a damn red..none of it. Best of luck with everyones goals.

• Like 2

Working on a red nail cert but had some setbacks lately. Pretty weak reverse and underhand so slowly working those in.

• Like 3

I love DO bending too - its definitely my favorite - I got up to doing O and P drill rod in IMPs about 16 months ago or so, then I lost about 50 pounds and it turned out I wasn't so good at bending anymore - who would have guessed - also cause I stopped training it really - Don's bending comp last weekend was really awesome and definitely re-lit the bending fire in me - I was happy to bend that FBBC bastard in 10 seconds or so, even though it was definitely an easier bastard than I remember - I never consistently trained reverse or DU, and both the 11 degree movement on the gr5 reverse and the 4 degree movement on the 1/4 square DU were PRs for me - I'd love to be able to finish both bars in that style in the future - so many techniques, so little time! Haha - I gotta actually bend a 3/4x40" bar braced now though - last 2 times I tried it wobbled itself in pity of me and called me a bunch of mean names - I heard it - victory will be mine though - that 8mm x 7" grade 8 bolt @Horrido bent above is about 5/16" thickness right? Thats insane - all 3 of those bends are - I remember trying a 5/16x7" gr5 and it was like bending a brick - really amazing man! Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the awesome steel destruction! Long live the love of steel bending gentlemen!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Anton.Torrella said:

I love DO bending too - its definitely my favorite - I got up to doing O and P drill rod in IMPs about 16 months ago or so, then I lost about 50 pounds and it turned out I wasn't so good at bending anymore - who would have guessed - also cause I stopped training it really - Don's bending comp last weekend was really awesome and definitely re-lit the bending fire in me - I was happy to bend that FBBC bastard in 10 seconds or so, even though it was definitely an easier bastard than I remember - I never consistently trained reverse or DU, and both the 11 degree movement on the gr5 reverse and the 4 degree movement on the 1/4 square DU were PRs for me - I'd love to be able to finish both bars in that style in the future - so many techniques, so little time! Haha - I gotta actually bend a 3/4x40" bar braced now though - last 2 times I tried it wobbled itself in pity of me and called me a bunch of mean names - I heard it - victory will be mine though - that 8mm x 7" grade 8 bolt @Horrido bent above is about 5/16" thickness right? Thats insane - all 3 of those bends are - I remember trying a 5/16x7" gr5 and it was like bending a brick - really amazing man! Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the awesome steel destruction! Long live the love of steel bending gentlemen!

Congrats on the weight loss dude

• Like 2

@Anton.Torrella

Cheers man!

The bolt in the video above is a 8.8 this is similar to Grade 5.

Grade 8 is my goal, of course the 5/16 x 7" one.

I am also a only DO bender. Never tried DU and reverse. I have only a few braced bends, because Carl forced me to them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1