Unbraced Benders Where Ya'll At???

Martin Gaisser

Hey guys was just wondering who all is doing unbraced bending right now.  Seems like this area of grip is kinda in a slump right now.  If you are a bender or you have interest in being one just leave a reply if you don't mind.  If you'd like to add in what piece of steel your working on right now that would be cool to know.  Maybe we can come out of this dry spell or what seems like one to me and maybe even get some challenges going.

Thanks,

Martin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Martin, I'm in hibernation atm, but I plan to pick back up in in full swing starting in June. I have some lofty goals that I still need to accomplish. Challenges sounds fun though

• Like 5

I’m working at it! I had a newbie wrist sprain that I’m building back up from. I’m getting some good coaching with the Astoria group and making good progress.

I’m waiting on some 8” stock from FBBC to work on my technique. I’d like to get to the Tall Bastard in IMPs relatively soon and the Bastard in the medium term.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, crushonomics said:

I’m working at it! I had a newbie wrist sprain that I’m building back up from. I’m getting some good coaching with the Astoria group and making good progress.

I’m waiting on some 8” stock from FBBC to work on my technique. I’d like to get to the Tall Bastard in IMPs relatively soon and the Bastard in the medium term.

Good luck dude! Really hope you nail it. Do you have a social media account by chance? 

Cert red and bastard DU are my current goals. I can kink 5/16 crs 1-10 degrees. But I cant seem to finish. 

I had the same issue with 1/4 squares and then out of random I bent one and a grade 5. Not sure what I did to move over the humpbut it was glorious.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Good luck dude! Really hope you nail it. Do you have a social media account by chance? 

I’m tomcrusher on Instagram. I don’t post often, but it’s fun stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been mainly training for the bending comp this weekend. After the comp, I will descided what to focus on moving forward, but I will definetly be doing some type of do, du and reverse training.

• Like 4

Injured my wrist and then broke a finger but looking forward to getting back into snapping the easy stuff soon. Then some harder bending (I am very much a novice). I stick with reverse grip.

• Like 3

I'm currently working on bending an Ironmind red DU while bending DO at the same time. Once I bend an edgin I will be retiring from bending.

• Like 2

I'm pretty new to this, but I am trying to get a 6.5mm by 16cm nail DO currently, Limiting factor currently is a mix of the kink and finding the 2 hours to travel to the closest hardware store to resupply :P

• Like 1

Sometimes I bend one or two bars on tuesday/weds, but have been tearing cards instead lately.

New red nail or 1/4×6 g8 are what I'd like to bend DO, and yellow nail barehand.

I can get maybe a couple degrees movement on the first two in imps, but that's it. I have some .2969 and .302 drill rod so I have the bars to get there, just takes more than I'm willing to put in at the moment, and some more upper body strength. I'd guess I'm at low 400lb rating for 7" bars right now

Have done a yellow nail in half sheet paper towel (all DO), and 2.188x7 drill rod barehand. Lacking reverse and under hand strength/technique needed to comfortably/safely get that yellow nail barehand.

Imps are the biggest wraps I use.

• Like 3

I haven't been doing much bending the past few months. Mostly due to focusing on other things but also because of some pain in my right wrist which comes and goes. When I get back to it though I'd like to train to cert the red nail reverse!

• Like 1

I took about 4 months off bending and lost some weight but I'm getting back on track for my goal of bending P x 7" drill rod in less than a minute - I definitely lost some strength from a half year ago though

• Like 2

I unfortunately have an injury in my right middle finger that prevents me from putting any lateral or side pressure on it, so unbraced bending is out right now. I could maybe just about barely bend a yellow nail from Ironmind if my life depended on it, haha. But it doesn’t affect me horribly during braced bends so I’m putting my focus there while my finger gets healed up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I unfortunately have an injury in my right middle finger that prevents me from putting any lateral or side pressure on it, so unbraced bending is out right now. I could maybe just about barely bend a yellow nail from Ironmind if my life depended on it, haha. But it doesn’t affect me horribly during braced bends so I’m putting my focus there while my finger gets healed up.

I've been working through pretty much the same thing, most effective so far is get a regular rubber band or two, extend one finger from each hand and basically do the traveling sign from basketball, like 10 rotations in one direction, 10 in the other. Increase the tension as you can. Seems like s good extensor exercise too.

• Like 1

I’ve been out of it for quite sometime now following some injuries and work/life etc. Just bent a few odd pieces this morning. Hoping to get back into things more seriously soon. 

I also just just need to steer clear of too much social media crap as I end up pushing myself harder than I can recover from. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canthar said:

I’ve been out of it for quite sometime now following some injuries and work/life etc. Just bent a few odd pieces this morning. Hoping to get back into things more seriously soon. 

I also just just need to steer clear of too much social media crap as I end up pushing myself harder than I can recover from. 

Welcome back! I was wondering what you were up to.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Welcome back! I was wondering what you were up to.

Work has been a major up and down as to whether I even had a job for awhile. Still iffy but at this point I am there to the end regardless. 

Need to get me some easy horseshoes to practice on soon. 

Edited by canthar
  • Like 1

Recently certified on the 190kg and 200kg bars from GBI in Italy - double IMP’s

Going for bigger steel - hopefully I will kill the Gold Nail in double IMP’s in a not too distant future 😊

-Peter

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, Jlark27 said:

I second that. Depending on the type of injury, most tend to get better from the use of bands. I seem to bounce back quicker when I train with them on a routine basis. It reduces the chances of injury as well as decreases the duration of recovery. Oh, and really helps with finger mobility as well. That's my experience with them. 

How do you use bands for training for bending, are they rubber bands or the big 42" ones used for barbell lifts?

Thanks.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, wobbler said:

I've been working through pretty much the same thing, most effective so far is get a regular rubber band or two, extend one finger from each hand and basically do the traveling sign from basketball, like 10 rotations in one direction, 10 in the other. Increase the tension as you can. Seems like s good extensor exercise too.

I'm trying to visualize what movement you're doing, could you post a picture or video?

Thanks

• Like 1

I haven't bent anything in a long time.  Tried a yellow - then blue - then a 5" piece of 1/4" stuff reverse and finished them off double overhand - the 5" was tough - boy it's been a while :) 

• Like 3