Anyone CCS'd a COC 4 yet?

kasparov

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Right now it’s the best we have seen since he dominated it. Another man certified the ghp 9 not long ago but not as easy as Nathan. No one knows what they rated though but when Nathan did it I don’t believe the ghp 9s we’re rating as low as they are now. I have see several lows 200s and a couple sub 200 ghp 9s now. When they first came out it’s was more common for the them to be higher 

True. But same goes to CoC #4. I can only ASSUME the #4 he tried was in the mid 220's because the #4 came at that time were all almost same strength. I really dunno but that's a possibility too and will make him one of the best if not the best crusher.

12 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

True. But same goes to CoC #4. I can only ASSUME the #4 he tried was in the mid 220's because the #4 came at that time were all almost same strength. I really dunno but that's a possibility too and will make him one of the best if not the best crusher.

I don't think this is the case. I've heard Magnus Samuelsson say he can still close the old #4 he has but cannot close the new ones out of the package. Which indicates that his old #4 is a lighter one. Since #4 grippers rarely gets closed I don't see how they could lose much strength over time unless you're chest crushing the hell out of them each day :D 

Grippers vary. Period....RGC is a good indicator but then there’s also sweep difference. With all the differences it is hard to say who squeezed the hardest one...but every closed Ghp9 gripper remains a huge accomplishment in my book, with a block even more. Nathan Holle, Valery and Morgan seem to be the strongest thus far. Closely followed by Tim Struse, Paul knight and Jonathan Voght. Paul Savage, Steve Gardener and one other guy (khfm865 on YT) who could do no set level 16 Vulcan and level 22 20 mm blockset. The TNS level 16 always was very impressive for me with that gripper. I think he could have topped even better than what he did. 

If we look at how small the group of 3.5 closers is, I don’t think the 4 will be certed for years with the current rules. Paul Savage stepped up for the cert the way I understand the story but was denied an attempt because he had not closed the 4 ccs earlier. This is, if I remember it correct. I think he was up for it at that moment. After that, his training started to splinter and he lost focus. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Grippers vary. Period....RGC is a good indicator but then there’s also sweep difference. With all the differences it is hard to say who squeezed the hardest one...but every closed Ghp9 gripper remains a huge accomplishment in my book, with a block even more. Nathan Holle, Valery and Morgan seem to be the strongest thus far. Closely followed by Tim Struse, Paul knight and Jonathan Voght. Paul Savage, Steve Gardener and one other guy (khfm865 on YT) who could do no set level 16 Vulcan and level 22 20 mm blockset. The TNS level 16 always was very impressive for me with that gripper. I think he could have topped even better than what he did. 

If we look at how small the group of 3.5 closers is, I don’t think the 4 will be certed for years with the current rules. Paul Savage stepped up for the cert the way I understand the story but was denied an attempt because he had not closed the 4 ccs earlier. This is, if I remember it correct. I think he was up for it at that moment. After that, his training started to splinter and he lost focus. 

That is correct other than the lost focus part. It's not about lost focus as you simply can't focus on it never ending and keep making progress. Unless you have super genetics, something of this level requires a long training cycle leading up to a peak. There's also the factor of overall hand strength so i'm essentially always training for it. At some point I will finally get that last 1-2mm done on an average one and then its one step closer to the certification (really two different goals).

I’m a little unfamiliar with the rules and the whole process of certifying, but is there any restriction on the number of cert attempts someone can make? I mean, if you just keep trying and trying, wouldn’t the odds say that eventually you might draw an “easy” version of the gripper? I don’t know how much it costs to try it though, just seems like there wouldn’t be much downside to keep  trying other than maybe feeling a little embarrassed about missing in front of the judge. I know this may not necessarily apply to the 4, since even the “easy” one would be incredibly hard, but what about the 3.5? 

Edited by Booze

2 minutes ago, Booze said:

I’m a little unfamiliar with the rules and the whole process of certifying, but is there any restriction on the number of cert attempts someone can make? I mean, if you just keep trying and trying, wouldn’t the odds say that eventually you might draw an “easy” version of the gripper? 

For ironmind, there is no limit really but if you keep trying and keep missing they may start checking with you to see if you are really ready. They ask you to fill out a questionnaire when signing up for the cert and some of the questions are geared towards seeing if your ready like how many time you have closed the gripper under cert conditions and if you say only a couple time or not at all they will come back and say you should probably wait. Some of us took this as being turned down but if you say you want to proceed anyway, they will let you. A lot of people wait until they master the gripper because ironmind needs to find a judge near you who meets up with you for their cert process so if you aren't really ready (like its obvious you aren't close) people feel like this is wasting the judges time. Also ironmind sends a brand new gripper to that judge for you to cert on and you get to keep it if you miss or pass so that costs them money also.

This is mute if you cert at one of their events like a competition/expo since they have that gripper and judge on hand already for people who want to cert there.   

I would feel better trying multiple times for the mash monster cert since it only requires the gripper be shipped to you and you cover the shipping costs yourself 

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

For ironmind, there is no limit really but if you keep trying and keep missing they may start checking with you to see if you are really ready. They ask you to fill out a questionnaire when signing up for the cert and some of the questions are geared towards seeing if your ready like how many time you have closed the gripper under cert conditions and if you say only a couple time or not at all they will come back and say you should probably wait. Some of us took this as being turned down but if you say you want to proceed anyway, they will let you. A lot of people wait until they master the gripper because ironmind needs to find a judge near you who meets up with you for their cert process so if you aren't really ready (like its obvious you aren't close) people feel like this is wasting the judges time. Also ironmind sends a brand new gripper to that judge for you to cert on and you get to keep it if you miss or pass so that costs them money also.

This is mute if you cert at one of their events like a competition/expo since they have that gripper and judge on hand already for people who want to cert there.   

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I would definitely be the type that would want to master a gripper before ever trying to cert. 

15 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

That is correct other than the lost focus part. It's not about lost focus as you simply can't focus on it never ending and keep making progress. Unless you have super genetics, something of this level requires a long training cycle leading up to a peak. There's also the factor of overall hand strength so i'm essentially always training for it. At some point I will finally get that last 1-2mm done on an average one and then its one step closer to the certification (really two different goals).

Check. I meant more like that you were aiming arrows on some other goals, as in AW, overall gripcomp etc. So that's what I meant with losing focus. Stay strong, would be cool to knock this one off. 

18 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't think this is the case. I've heard Magnus Samuelsson say he can still close the old #4 he has but cannot close the new ones out of the package. Which indicates that his old #4 is a lighter one. Since #4 grippers rarely gets closed I don't see how they could lose much strength over time unless you're chest crushing the hell out of them each day :D 

I am not speaking about Magnus. Magnus did his certs when it wasn't a GR8 spring. The fact is, GR8 spring tent to be harder in general. I have many #4's trust me. I think more than 30 #4's to 40. The newer ones are the hardest in average. So Ioan I ASSUME had a mid 220's. He attempted 3 times official cert and he was close on every attempt. So close. I haven't seen anyone doing that to a brand new #4 out of a package with a CCS. Maybe there are, but I yet have to see a video. Because of what he did I never saw it by anyone else.

2 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

I am not speaking about Magnus. Magnus did his certs when it wasn't a GR8 spring. The fact is, GR8 spring tent to be harder in general. I have many #4's trust me. I think more than 30 #4's to 40. The newer ones are the hardest in average. So Ioan I ASSUME had a mid 220's. He attempted 3 times official cert and he was close on every attempt. So close. I haven't seen anyone doing that to a brand new #4 out of a package with a CCS. Maybe there are, but I yet have to see a video. Because of what he did I never saw it by anyone else.

I thought you were refering to Nathan Holle and his 7 reps with a #4. 

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Yes I have definitely found the new ones to be harder on average and I've tried many.

As for Loan, his official attempt wasn't as close as people thought from the video. A lot was saying it was 1-2mm but was actually 3-4mm. This was actually his only official attempt and the others (basically training footage) were further off. This may seem close but because of the extreme poundage of the #4 that's actually a long way away from a full close.

I would assume though that he may have done a full close in training since he kept attempting out of the package on video. Of course I don't know either way but I'm positive Nathan has done it on an older model.

Edited by Paul Savage

33 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

Yes I have definitely found the new ones to be harder on average and I've tried many.

As for Loan, his official attempt wasn't as close as people thought from the video. A lot was saying it was 1-2mm but was actually 3-4mm. This was actually his only official attempt and the others (basically training footage) were further off. This may seem close but because of the extreme poundage of the #4 that's actually a long way away from a full close.

I would assume though that he may have done a full close in training since he kept attempting out of the package on video. Of course I don't know either way but I'm positive Nathan has done it on an older model.

We see in this video he MMSed a #4 and banged it with a loud click. You have another cert attempt here which was close but not as close as his first attempt. I know for a fact he had at least 2 official cert attempts. Maybe a third? That one is also close but not as the first video shared on the first page. There are some #3.5 mini reps with clicks and another video with loud clicks here. Then again I have yet to see anyone in the world to replicate his feat, which is getting a CoC#4 directly from IM. New. CCS and go. Chances are it is mid 220's and feels like a brick. Laine Snook words are bond to me. He said he saw Nathan closing a #4 CCS. But that is way different than new one out of the package. I am just being fair. Not saying Nathan cannot do this but I have yet to see a video from anyone on earth replicating it. Just look at Ioan thumb pads how he locks the gripper in place. 

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

If Nathan could CCS a 4 we would probably have a video of it imo...

1 and 1 don't always equal 2. ;)

• Like 1

I thought Loan had three cert attempts as well but Ironmind told me only the first was an official attempt.

I really believe this is just a matter of time now that someone will get a CCS #4 officially.  

If I go back to when I started training grip nearly 20 years ago, very few even knew about grippers. With the exponential growth of the Internet that is not slowing down, more and more people ARE getting into Grip.

7 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

I really believe this is just a matter of time now that someone will get a CCS #4 officially.  

If I go back to when I started training grip nearly 20 years ago, very few even knew about grippers. With the exponential growth of the Internet that is not slowing down, more and more people ARE getting into Grip.

I think so too. I feel like it’s a matter of time before I click on the forum and see a thread titled “Carl Myerscough certifies on COC #4”

Not that I know anything about the guy or if he’s even training for it, but just a hunch he will get it.

Well in that perspective, it always has been a matter time, but on short term, I don't see anybody in the scene that we know do it. Deadlifting a WR is just so different, everyone recognises that. But a gripper, most people just don't understand it. The guys who do train get very close, but then we see everytime life gets in the way as we saw with most top gripsters, or they get physical problems. 

The strongmen are getting bigger and bigger and I do see potential there, but I don't think there's the biggest interest for them because they too would need to focus on it, for which they don't have the time or take the risk getting some tendon injury for a relative small appreciated strengthfeat.  

The open hand strength feats seem to be much more appreciated. 

No hard based opinion here though, pure speculation on my side. Like Badr said, the resistance of the current 4's in the 220 area that's just huge. I do see guys capable of it but if they have relative short but stumpy and thick hands, they're basically screwed by the CCS width. 

I see the Gold nail go down much earlier, in that perspective, as in general, people do seem to progress faster in bending then with crushing, comparing both cert lists. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

"Is the 4 ccs cursed? The few that have gotten close disappeared from grip shortly thereafter. Injury? Burn out? Loss of drive? "

Ironnind should offer some kind of monetary prize for first person to certify on the 4 with new rules.

Some kind of incentive.

Can Ioan actually CCS the 4 in practice or?

Not sure why you would try certify on the 4 if you haven't closed it at home or practice via CCS.

Also why doesnt Ironmind try and standardise the whole process with the 4?

For example rate 50 #4's, take 10 that are avergage rating for example 210.

And when someone wants to try certify post out the 210 #4, so atleast they have a chance of getting it, not this opens the packet and may get a 225lbs RGC #4 and have no chance of closing it.

Atleast make the process fair and achievable, since the ratings vary so much, or does Ironmind not care too much about that issue?

Maybe just with the 4 since no one has certified on it and its so difficult to achieve.

20 minutes ago, kasparov said:

Can Ioan actually CCS the 4 in practice or?

Not sure why you would try certify on the 4 if you haven't closed it at home or practice via CCS.

Also why doesnt Ironmind try and standardise the whole process with the 4?

For example rate 50 #4's, take 10 that are avergage rating for example 210.

And when someone wants to try certify post out the 210 #4, so atleast they have a chance of getting it, not this opens the packet and may get a 225lbs RGC #4 and have no chance of closing it.

Atleast make the process fair and achievable, since the ratings vary so much, or does Ironmind not care too much about that issue?

Maybe just with the 4 since no one has certified on it and its so difficult to achieve.

They obviously don't care since they keep the same certification list for old and new rules.

Do the Mash Monster ladder if you want a fair system, or create your own system.