Anyone CCS'd a COC 4 yet?

kasparov

In terms of certifications Valery Tolstyh certed the GHP9 and Sl-Ghi Choi became the first to certify on MM8. That is the closest (but still very far away).

No

Ioan Cristian Puscasu has come the closest to an official attempt. 

http://www.ironmind.com/news/Ioan-Cristian-Puscasu-Close-But-No-Cigar-on-the-CoC-No.-4-Gripper/

There is a video, I believe, and he took it for a massive ride.  Closed down to ~2mm according to the IM article. 

That was almost 6 years ago wow. 

Edit: Found his video

• Like 2

This is one of the wider closes I can remember.  Not sure if John is still training.  Nothing from him in a really long time. 

Those thumb pads! Definitely the common denominator for elite crushing near 4 cert level. Are there any top closers who don't have monster thumb pads?

Edited by jvance

I don’t think Vogt trains anymore. Morgan has gotten the closest that I have seen with a rated Gripper. Haven’t seen Morgan post lately though. This is how he did on 204 rated 4 back in October 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jvance said:

Those thumb pads! Definitely the common denominator for elite crushing near 4 cert level. Are there any top closers who don't have monster thumb pads?

It's pretty much impossible to keep the gripper in place otherwise so I'd say no. That's actually one of the biggest problems I've had in that the gripper moves slightly so it stops at 2mm as my hand can't really close any more in that position. I've had that happen probably 50 or so times.

On 26/04/2018 at 7:34 AM, kasparov said:

Hi Everyone,

Havent been on the board for 4 years, has anyone accomplished the Coc 4 CCS? Or any other big gripper?

I've ccs'd a Thor bbse that's a little under #4 level (no video sorry) and ccs'd Vulcan v2 adjustable gripper at level 20 with CROM spring (video on my YouTube channel). Obviously its slightly different but I'd say the Vulcan close is slightly harder than the super elite. I think level 21 with this spring (very hard through the sweep) is equal to an average #4 as had both to 2mm multiple times.

I'm sure I'll take another run at it at some point but have done several in the past with no closes, it is extremely hard to do even on easier #4's and then of course to do it officially you could easily get a 220lb rgc gripper and have to do it on a set day rather than on a day that happens to be strong in training so its even tougher than just closing an average one.

• Like 1

I was always amazed at Vogt’s thumb pads. It looks like a butt is growing out of his wrist 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Chez said:

I was always amazed at Vogt’s thumb pads. It looks like a butt is growing out of his wrist 

Apart from his strength I'm amazed by his set technique, it's so weird but it works for him!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chez said:

LOL! :)

8 hours ago, Cannon said:

Where were you guys in the “training thumbs for grippers” thread!? 😜

Was just thinking the same thing! It’s definitely beneficial! Hand works as a unit.

According to words of Chris James. Nathan Holle closed CoC#4 CCS. On his eyes on 4 different samples CoC#4.

But Nathan not on Gripboard.

Is the 4 ccs cursed? The few that have gotten close disappeared from grip shortly thereafter. Injury? Burn out? Loss of drive? 

Edited by jvance

1 hour ago, jvance said:

Is the 4 ccs cursed? The few that have gotten close disappeared from grip shortly thereafter. Injury? Burn out? Loss of drive? 

It’s tough to stay motivated for that long. I have to think of short term goals for myself constantly to keep motivated 

1 hour ago, jvance said:

I'm not so sure if anyone has really been that close to a cert to  be honest except for Puscasu. Because of what Paul said earlier. Closing a gripper and certing is totally  different. Certification on the #4 with the new rules is just an extremely difficult feat to accomplish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

I'm not so sure if anyone has really been that close to a cert to  be honest except for Puscasu. Because of what Paul said earlier. Closing a gripper and certing is totally  different. Certification on the #4 with the new rules is just an extremely difficult feat to accomplish.

Yep. Even the 3.5 cert is super tough because you could get mid 180s-190 on cert day. It’s one of the reasons why I think the mash monster cert is the best since there is just one Gripper at every level 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Yep. Even the 3.5 cert is super tough because you could get mid 180s-190 on cert day. It’s one of the reasons why I think the mash monster cert is the best since there is just one Gripper at every level 

I agree.

15 hours ago, Kashtan said:

According to words of Chris James. Nathan Holle closed CoC#4 CCS. On his eyes on 4 different samples CoC#4.

But Nathan not on Gripboard.

I meant to say this but then forgot. I fully believe Chris, I also remember people saying they had seen a video of him doing this but i have never found it.

Wade Gillingham posted that Nathans ghp block cert on #9 was not the widest set he shown so that may mean a credit card set. Of course at what poundage is the question. Would be very interesting to see a recertification attempt on the coc #4 by Nathan, I know some have done this with the #3.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 7:01 AM, Paul Savage said:

I know some have done this with the #3.

Richard Sorin.

On 4/29/2018 at 4:11 AM, kasparov said:

Does Nathan still have the bighest gripper close with the block set GHP9?

Right now it’s the best we have seen since he dominated it. Another man certified the ghp 9 not long ago but not as easy as Nathan. No one knows what they rated though but when Nathan did it I don’t believe the ghp 9s we’re rating as low as they are now. I have see several lows 200s and a couple sub 200 ghp 9s now. When they first came out it’s was more common for the them to be higher 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1