Becca no set closing #2 x 10

Paul Savage

Becca with a set of 10 no set on coc #2 (did place the gripper but no actual setting down)

• Like 9

8 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

Wow!

I was expecting to see 10 mini or half reps - not the real thing.

A nice clear clip as well - great job!

Always hard to film grippers but I tried my best :)

50 minutes ago, jvance said:

A 2.5 ccs should be a Sunday stroll for her!! Has she tried one yet?

She's ccs'd the #2.5 in the past but was before her shoulder operation. I agree though, I'm sure she could do it now no problem but she's not peaked, still being in the higher rep stage of the programme. I said from the start she will do #2.5 very easy and have a realistic shot at #3. She didn't believe me but I think after this she is starting to realise what she can really do.

2 hours ago, jvance said:

A 2.5 ccs should be a Sunday stroll for her!! Has she tried one yet?

Idk about her, but I can rep out my 2 no problem and still haven't closed my 2.5

Great stuff, very strong!

3 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Idk about her, but I can rep out my 2 no problem and still haven't closed my 2.5

You need to train on 1RM closes more. If your #2 is harder, 110# or more and you can do 12+ reps or 5x5 you should have the potential to close an average #2.5 with the same set.

52 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Keep in mind this is no set and the certification rules are credit card set, but when she ccs'd the #2.5 she could do 2 savage closes with #2, that would have put her at around 5-6 ccs reps. It really depends on how you train, this is still base work at this point, this is actually the lowest number of reps she done in the programme and actually will go back higher reps for a while yet (aim is #2 x 20 before moving up). Of course heavy singles will come prior to peaking and of course ccs closes and not no sets.

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Im at the same level as you, and honestly have been making more progress the last 2 weeks on the 2.5 than I was the previous 2 months simply by working with the 2.5. I think that jives with what Fist of Fury said about doing more 1RM closes. Ideally youd like to have a few grippers in between or an adjustable, but I dont and am very close. I feel like reps on a lighter gripper help to a certain point, but in order to get that last annoying part of your goal gripper you need to work with that gripper or something close to it. Increasing reps on the 2 doesnt get it done, for me at least.

26 minutes ago, Booze said:

Im at the same level as you, and honestly have been making more progress the last 2 weeks on the 2.5 than I was the previous 2 months simply by working with the 2.5. I think that jives with what Fist of Fury said about doing more 1RM closes. Ideally youd like to have a few grippers in between or an adjustable, but I dont and am very close. I feel like reps on a lighter gripper help to a certain point, but in order to get that last annoying part of your goal gripper you need to work with that gripper or something close to it. Increasing reps on the 2 doesnt get it done, for me at least.

Yes this is not the purpose of the reps on the #2 or any of the previous rep work (last session was a hard #1 for 3 x 20 chalkless). The purpose, along with the other training she's been doing, is to build a base of muscle to work with. You can however, go up from gripper to gripper this way as long as the gap is not too big between. So far she has went from strength shop #1, to coc trainer, to strength shop #1.5, to strength shop #2, to hard coc #1, and now is starting on #2. After building the reps up on the #2, she will then move to strength shop #2.5. All this repetition work builds a big base, and the bigger the base, the bigger the end peak will be (when she eventually goes to lower repetitions, singles etc).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

Yes this is not the purpose of the reps on the #2 or any of the previous rep work (last session was a hard #1 for 3 x 20 chalkless). The purpose, along with the other training she's been doing, is to build a base of muscle to work with. You can however, go up from gripper to gripper this way as long as the gap is not too big between. So far she has went from strength shop #1, to coc trainer, to strength shop #1.5, to strength shop #2, to hard coc #1, and now is starting on #2. After building the reps up on the #2, she will then move to strength shop #2.5. All this repetition work builds a big base, and the bigger the base, the bigger the end peak will be (when she eventually goes to lower repetitions, singles etc).

Gotcha, that makes sense. Well whatever shes doing is definitely working! What is a "savage close" by the way? Was wondering when I saw that in the previous post where you said she could do 2 of those and it would equate to 5 or 6 CCS reps.

Edited by Booze

4 minutes ago, Booze said:

Gotcha, that makes sense. Well whatever shes doing is definitely working! What is a "savage close" by the way? Was wondering when I saw that in the previous post where you said she could do 2 of those and it would equate to 5 or 6 CCS reps.

The training programme I have her on is very simple, yet at the same time there's little things that make a big difference. It's 3 workouts constantly cycled, training every 5-7 days. Workout 1 and 2 are the same then the 3rd is different. Each workout starts with grippers, all are no set full range closes.

For workouts 1 and 2 it's several warm up's then 3-4 sets of repetitions on whatever gripper she is up to for each hand, left currently being slightly behind due to coming off a shoulder operation (she is left handed). What gripper she uses it depends on if she got a set of 20 reps in the last workout. Once she does a set of 20, I move her up to the next gripper in the following workout. The aim on the following two sets in that case would also be 20, if she gets them all or not. If she is struggling and not getting as many repetitions on sets two and three, to bring the total number of repetitions up and the work load up I will in that case have her do a set of max reps on the gripper down, which could be as high as 50-60 depending. Following that I have her do 3-5 sets of high rep ttk thumb pinches to grow the thumb pad, then she finishes up with 3 sets of extensors each hand.

The 3rd workout is the same gripper routine, followed by two hands euro pinch, either heavy or holds, followed again by extensors for 3 sets (done with a regular rubber band).

The suttle tricks are that a lot of the grippers she's using have thinner handles than coc, so essentially beyond the range training, and that no chalk allowed on workouts 1 and 2. Chalkless training develops more control and trains you to prevent the gripper slipping out of position. The important thing is that the routine clearly prioritises grippers, every session they are first and the other exercises are very much purely assistance, they only add to the gripper progress. A lot of people train thickbar, pinch, wrists etc training them heavy and often and that can make gripper progress very hard. I don't even have her do any weights training without straps on the routine.

As for savage close, see video..

1 hour ago, Paul Savage said:

Keep in mind this is no set and the certification rules are credit card set, but when she ccs'd the #2.5 she could do 2 savage closes with #2, that would have put her at around 5-6 ccs reps. It really depends on how you train, this is still base work at this point, this is actually the lowest number of reps she done in the programme and actually will go back higher reps for a while yet (aim is #2 x 20 before moving up). Of course heavy singles will come prior to peaking and of course ccs closes and not no sets.

You can no set for the cert. It’s harder than CCS. I was told... could be wrong... that TNS and NS is acceptable because it’s even wider a close. Anyone know otherwise if that’s wrong info?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Booze said:

That’s correct! Just like levering a 12 pound hammer high reps will never get one to a 16 or 20... without getting a feel for them or something close to it.  Staying high reps will build wicked endurance with that gripper... but won’t build sufficient strength increases to go beyond.

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Great stuff, very strong!

You need to train on 1RM closes more. If your #2 is harder, 110# or more and you can do 12+ reps or 5x5 you should have the potential to close an average #2.5 with the same set.

Yep. My gripper working sets are singles, doubles and triples (I throw in some 4x-8x sets as well at times after for volume). Its always worked for me. 

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You can no set for the cert. It’s harder than CCS. I was told... could be wrong... that TNS and NS is acceptable because it’s even wider a close. Anyone know otherwise if that’s wrong info?

You still have the put card through the handles but ccs is much easier if you have trained it and know the technique so you would be more successful using ccs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s correct! Just like levering a 12 pound hammer high reps will never get one to a 16 or 20... without getting a feel for them or something close to it.  Staying high reps will build wicked endurance with that gripper... but won’t build sufficient strength increases to go beyond.

Not always the case with high reps, as it doesn't just build endurance, it builds muscle, so specific to closing grippers, mid forearm, hands etc. Yes if you up too much in poundage from one to another your going to end up struggling but if you do it in small jumps, that can end up making a big distance and you may end up repping out on your previous best. Becca had infact only ever no set closed #2 for 1 rep before this.

As said, the aim for these high reps is to base build and specifically build muscle, but it does have a big impact on the strength overall. If you just do singles and low reps you arnt going to increase muscle size, which will end up meaning at some point you can't possibly get any stronger e.g your peak can only go so high.

Edited by Paul Savage
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

Not always the case with high reps, as it doesn't just build endurance, it builds muscle, so specific to closing grippers, mid forearm, hands etc. Yes if you up too much in poundage from one to another your going to end up struggling but if you do it in small jumps, that can end up making a big distance and you may end up repping out on your previous best. Becca had infact only ever no set closed #2 for 1 rep before this.

As said, the aim for these high reps is to base build and specifically build muscle, but it does have a big impact on the strength overall. If you just do singles and low reps you arnt going to increase muscle size, which will end up meaning at some point you can't possibly get any stronger e.g your peak can only go so high.

I do high reps all the time. I warm up with 20-26 TNS reps of the # 2 because I love the forearm pump and the actual visual forearm muscle it puts on the frame. My first set is always a high rep set and it works for me... but... just doing high reps would not have me closing higher grippers. As you said, there is a place for everything in a well balanced routine 

Becca is strong as hell ! So are you Paul. Great vids!

Unreal strength for a lady keep going Becca !

11 minutes ago, Roger Roberson said:

No doubt! Out of this world! I took my COC 2 to the barber shop last week. 8 very good sized working men with beards could not even come within an inch of closing! 

5 hours ago, Roger Roberson said:

She will. Honestly it's just the tip of the iceberg, she's been training grip for less than two years and is already the strongest female grip athlete ever in my opinion (she is the reigning European and world grip champion for those who don't know). I have no doubt she will go down as the strongest female in history full stop. The aim is for her to win the worlds strongest woman contest later in the year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

No doubt! Out of this world! I took my COC 2 to the barber shop last week. 8 very good sized working men with beards could not even come within an inch of closing! 

Yeah, to be honest Becca really has no idea how crazy some of the feats she does are. She knows 10 reps on #2 like this is something special but she sets world records like there going out of fashion so its kind of just another day for her.

15 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

Yeah, to be honest Becca really has no idea how crazy some of the feats she does are. She knows 10 reps on #2 like this is something special but she sets world records like there going out of fashion so its kind of just another day for her.

Most men will never do 10 reps with a #2!!! It’s great!