Bottoms up plate press

Kluv#0

I came across a great way to utilize those iron grip or marcy grip plates- bottoms up press. I showed close grip - wanting to inform 1-2X a month do your bench/close grip w/o wrist wraps if you use regularly- but lost train of thought on vid.  Goal would be to kneel on bench and clean and bottom press both arms(tried today with massive blooper)

• Like 5

This is one of those things that makes me feel stupid for not thinking of. What a great idea and use for plates that typically don't get attention, and better than spending a fortune on various kettlebells

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

This is one of those things that makes me feel stupid for not thinking of. What a great idea and use for plates that typically don't get attention, and better than spending a fortune on various kettlebells

Yes, I felt stupid for not thinking about this, too! Was checking out some YT vids and came across this today- I was elated. Those Marcy grip 50lb are also standard diameter so I got a great deal on them but for the longest time never used. I used to do Kettlebell bottoms up and these plate version are harder making the exercise a home run- I did about 60 total reps with my right and 40 with left and they will be sore tonight and tomorrow. Thanks for checking it out

3 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

I came across a great way to utilize those iron grip or marcy grip plates- bottoms up press. I showed close grip - wanting to inform 1-2X a month do your bench/close grip w/o wrist wraps if you use regularly- but lost train of thought on vid.  Goal would be to kneel on bench and clean and bottom press both arms(tried today with massive blooper)

Super duper idea Mikhail! Exactly what I would do with a plate like that! Perfect for lateral wrist stability from the side and for flexion and extension if you punch up and try to supinate and pronate if the mechanics of the plate allow that safely

58 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Super duper idea Mikhail! Exactly what I would do with a plate like that! Perfect for lateral wrist stability from the side and for flexion and extension if you punch up and try to supinate and pronate if the mechanics of the plate allow that safely

Big Joe, your wrists would devour this exercise. Lucky 🍀 I stumbled upon this 💪. One can never have too much wrist strength

2 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Big Joe, your wrists would devour this exercise. Lucky 🍀 I stumbled upon this 💪. One can never have too much wrist strength

The wrist is the key brother! The link that gives super strength to the hand and forearm!

Nice job! Those are a good exercise. I have done them with my plates like that. For awhile, I would press one overhead and then walk with it overhead. I found that to be good for wrist stability. 

• Like 1

Good stuff Mike.  I like using them for hammer curls too.  Really strengthens the wrists and forearms because the center of gravity is out in front of your hands.  They'r the only type of curls I'v ever done regularly.  Great for strengthening the kink for DO steel bends.

I'v tried the presses like that in the past, but once I did them with sweaty palms and the weight slipped, spun down, and whacked the crap out of my forearm.  Had a bruise for a month. :blush  I gave them up.  Lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Nice job! Those are a good exercise. I have done them with my plates like that. For awhile, I would press one overhead and then walk with it overhead. I found that to be good for wrist stability. 

No wonder your wrists are so freakin strong! The overhead walks is a great idea-  I used to do DB waiter walks in summer but made neighbors salivate too much

43 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Good stuff Mike.  I like using them for hammer curls too.  Really strengthens the wrists and forearms because the center of gravity is out in front of your hands.  They'r the only type of curls I'v ever done regularly.  Great for strengthening the kink for DO steel bends.

I'v tried the presses like that in the past, but once I did them with sweaty palms and the weight slipped, spun down, and whacked the crap out of my forearm.  Had a bruise for a month. :blush  I gave them up.  Lol

Another great idea! Hammer curls I bet would be nasty ASF - I will give them a try when I condition my biceps a tad more. Sweaty palms and a month long bruise not a winning quinella:)

• Like 2

25lbs feels like 40... and so on.

• Like 1

All the plates in the gym i got to are like that...they are metal york plates with a rubber ring around the edge. I do hammers with them but never tried the bottoms up press. Get idea and collaboration gents! 

4C308A9A-A6D4-43B5-A4B9-0FB954F4FC71.jpeg

• Like 2

I did the bottoms up plate press and plate curls tonight. Both great exercises. I had not done curls like that before, but really liked doing them. I am going to add them into the mix.

• Like 1