Countdown To Super Grip Challenge 2003

bencrush

I've wanted to start a grip log for quite some time now, so here goes. The Super Grip Challenge is only about 10 weeks away, so you'll only have to put up with me for (hopefully) that long. For now :D The lifts are; (not necessarily in order) COC Grippers, Farmer's Walk (thick bar), One Hand Ciavattone, Pinch Grip, Rolling Thunder Deadlift, and Middle/Ring Fingers Deadlift (overhand grip-not mixed). The last one is an absolute killer on the tendons. I've had several minor injuries from practicing it, so I quit doing it until closer to the comp. Honestly I'm pretty weak at all but the grippers, where I'm only elevated to the "average" level. But I enjoy it all the same.

7-27-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause)

156X1 ® both PRs! 156X1 (L)

3 minutes rest

146X1 ® 146X1 (L)

3 minutes rest

136x1 ® 136x1 (L)

7-30-03 COC #2 Gripper (not counting warmup sets)

Total of 171 Reps (Right Hand) in 27 Sets

Total of 108 Reps (Left Hand) in 27 Sets

My goal is to get 166X1 at the comp on the RT. I'm gunning for the #3 this year. I have recently closed my #3 (again) but it's not consistent. The #3 at the comp is noticeably harder, so with good training, hopefully Kevin's #3 will fall!

Ben Edwards

Look forward to reading your progress towards the competion!!!

The middle finger deadlift is a killer...have you thought about doing some daily training? I should think the weights you could use on it will be light enough that it won't effect your other training and by training everyday you could toughen up the connective tissue so that when you do try your max attempt you will lesson the chance of injury. ie Steve Justa's single routine?

Jon@han

Jonathan, thanks for the idea about daily training. I'll do it as soon as possible. Work is keeping me extremely busy lately. I'm also not listing the "other" weight training that I'm doing, such as miscellaneous Apollon's Axle lifts. (Continental and jerk mostly...I only want to do with 2 hands what Matt Graham does with 1 this year!!!)

8-3-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

156X1 ® 156- (L) only cleared the floor

5 minutes rest

161-® only cleared the floor 161-(L) nothing

5 minutes rest

146X1 ® 146X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

141X1 ® 141X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

141X1 ® 141X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

141X1 ® 141X1 (L)

8-3-03 COC Grippers (Rep Max Day)

Filed TrainerX35 ® (both hands PR!!) Filed TrainerX30 (L)

265 minutes rest

Double Stamped #1X25 (both hands PR!!) Double Stamped #1X20

Ben Edwards

I felt especially good today so I did 3 of the comp lifts just to see where I was strength-wise since it has been a while (@ 2 months for the OHC and the PG).

8-6-03 One Hand Ciavattone (all comp legal with pause)

45X3 ® 45X3 (L)

5 minutes rest

95X1 ® 95X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

135X1 ® 135X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

165X1 ® 165X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

200X1 ® **both hand PRs** 200X1 (L)

8-6-03 2 Hands Pinch (all comp legal with pause)

50X3

5 minutes rest

105X1 (I'm an incredibly poor pincher)

8-6-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

156X1 ® 156-(L) just cleared the floor

5 minutes rest

151X1 ® 151X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

146-®deadlift only-no pause 146-(L)deadlift only-no pause

2 minutes rest

176X1 ® ********used STRAP******** 176X1 (L)

3 minutes rest

201X1 ® ********used STRAP******** 201X1 (L)

Notes: I'm a poor one handed deadlifter. I want to bring it up to at least 225 pounds by the comp. Not even sure if that is a respectable poundage, but I'm pretty sure 200 isn't.

I pinched with 2 hands last year at the comp 135 pounds, which was damn near last. I never practice it, except for every once in a while. Looks like I need to specialize on it if I'd like to have a higher placing than last.

I think I'll be in the middle of the pack, relatively speaking, this year in the Rolling Thunder deadlift. I'm hoping to break through my plateau with the addition of some deadlifts utilizing the strap. It might work, might not. Guess I'll find out soon enough:)

Hello everyone. It's been busy at work, but I've still managed to do my usual workouts with the Apollon's Axle. Unfortunately I haven't been able to hit the other lifts as much.

8-9-03 COC #2 Gripper (not counting warmup sets)

Total of 100 Reps (Right Hand) in 11 Sets

Total of 69 Reps (Left Hand) in 11 Sets

Notes: My hands became raw pretty quickly with the higher reps per set. I think I'd be able to go over 200 total reps if I spread the work out over much more time in one day. I've just recently started midnight shift at work, so it's the perfect time to experiment with mega volume on the grippers. Years ago, before I was able to consistently close my #2, I began a program of mega volume (to me) on the #1 gripper. I got to the point where I could perform 150 sets of 3 reps on a weekly basis. That seemed to help me become able to close the #2 any time and any place. I'm hoping the same approach will work for the #3.

I was able to close the #2 for 15 reps (right hand) and 10 reps (left hand) during one of the above sets.

Ben Edwards

Edited by bencrush

Guest gripmaster316

Ben crush what is your best middle finger and ring lift? I have recently toyed with these lifts. With ease I can lift a 50 pound dumbell (1 1/4 inch handle) with my ring. I can lift an 80 pound dumbell (1 inch handle) with my middle. I can also curl 50 pounds with my middle for reps.

Edited by gripmaster316

Gripmaster, I think we're talking about different kinds of ring and middle finger lifts. The one being contested at the Super Grip Challenge is a double-overhand grip middle and ring fingers deadlift. So it will involve four fingers and not just one. I have pulled a very sloppy 255 lbs recently, but did not include it in my workouts, because it was just messing around. I can pull a "comp legal" 225 lbs or slightly higher right now.

It sounds like you have some great strength. Have you considered competing this year at the SG? It was LOADS of fun last year, and the chance to meet people of that caliber (strength-wise) is unbeaten.

Kevin Fulton is running the meet, and if I'm not mistaken, he's one of the VERY few people who have successfully deadlifted both Dinnie Stones at the same time. Now that is super impressive in my book. He's also of course a Captain of Crush and all around very strong guy. Matt Graham will be there. He has deadlifted 500+ on the 2" bar, double overhand grip. Snatched the 50lb Blob. Clean and jerked 195lbs on a 2" bar. With one hand. Mary Mcconnaughey is a champion arm wrestler and is the 2nd female (as far as I know) to close the #2 COC gripper. Alan McCabe is a board member, and a fellow phone book tearer and deck of cards mangler. He'll be there. Bob Burtzloff might be there. Very strong postmaster-powerlifter turned all around lifter. Seth Holcomb should be there as well. I believe he holds the 17 and under deadlift of 520lbs? Very strong guy. Dan Wagman hopefully will be there, and he is a beast. Although a very nice one. There are too many to list, and I was genuinely happy to meet everybody there. Even if they had no claim to fame, strength-wise.

Sorry about the length of this post. Got carried away.

Ben Edwards

Guest gripmaster316

Ooops my bad I apologize for the misunderstanding. Last time I checked I could 200 pounds with my index and middle. That was a reverse grip though. I will try with my middle and my ring. I really would like to go to the event. But I live too far away and I am going back to school. I can always impress my friends there.

Did my normal Apollon's Axle workout today, then added Rolling Thunder on the end of it. Was a decent day. I'm trying to make 156lbs feel light, so I start on it each session to get used to it. Hopefully.

8-14-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

156X1 ® 156X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

146X1 ® 146X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

146X1 ® 146X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

161-® just cleared the floor 161-(L) nothing

5 minutes rest

156-® just cleared the floor 156-(L) just cleared the floor

Ben Edwards

Wasn't feeling especially great, just decided to try and up the frequency of my grip workouts. So here it went:

8-15-03 COC Grippers

Filed TrainerX3 ® Filed TrainerX3 (L)

5 minutes rest

#1X1 ® #1X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

#2X1 ® #2X1 (L)

7 minutes rest

#3- ® to @ 1/4" #3- (L) to @ parallel

7 minutes rest

#3- ® to @ 1/2" #3- (L) to @ parallel

7 minutes rest

#1X27 ® ***both PRs*** #1X22 (L)

11 minutes rest

#2X1 ® and 10 second hold #2X1 (L) and 6 second hold

8-15-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

161-® just cleared the floor 161-(L) just cleared the floor

5 minutes rest

156-® full deadlift, no pause 156-(L) full deadlift, no pause

5 minutes rest

151-® full deadlift, no pause 151-(L) full deadlift, no pause

5 minutes rest

146X1 ® 146-(L) full deadlift, no pause

Notes: Haven't been able to close my #3 lately (@ 2 weeks or so) but have been feeling pretty strong on the #2, as usual. The 27 reps with the #1 is interesting since it's my second #1. My first #1 broke mid-rep over a year ago, I think. I was able to do a legitimate 38 reps (right hand) with it, and now I'm much stronger, so I'd like to have it still and be able to compare.

Ben Edwards

Recently started midnight shift at work. Decided to do a bunch of reps with my #1 just for a change.

8-18-03 COC Gripper (#1 only)

Total Reps-288 right hand-51 sets total

Total Reps-288 left hand-51 sets total

Notes: Had extremely raw hands after that many reps, even if it was only the #1. Still had a lot of strength left, just needed more skin. Closed my #2 about five minutes after my last set just to see if I could do it after all that work.

Felt especially good today and decided to try a few maxes.

8-19-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

151X1 ® 151X1 (L)

4 minutes rest

146X1 ® 146X1 (L)

4 minutes rest

141X1 ® 141X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

162-® nothing 162-(L) just cleared the floor

8-19-03 One Hand Ciavattone

95X1 ® 95X1 (L)

4 minutes rest

135X1 ® 135X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

185X1 ® chalk-belt 185X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

205X1 ® chalk-belt ***both hands PRs*** 205X1 (L)

6 minutes rest

210-® just cleared the floor ***Left hand PR*** 210X1 (L)

8-19-03 Middle/Ring Fingers Double Overhand Deadlift

185X1 chalk

5 minutes rest

235X1 chalk-belt ***PR***

5 minutes rest

240X1 chalk-belt ***PR***

Notes: My left hand was stronger than my right today, for some weird reason. My hands feel a lot better than yesterday. Not so raw.

The Northwest Rolling Thunder record is 161lbs, so I'm making that my new goal for the comp. I couldn't find any Kansas records or any other records for RT at my bodyweight (@210). I don't have a clue what the One Hand Ciavattone deadlift record is. I'm guessing near 300lbs, so I'm pitifully short of that one. If anyone knows what it really is please let me know, or let me know what you are capable of, just for reference sake ;) Is there anyone reading this that actually performs the middle/ring fingers deadlift? If so, how much can you lift?

Ben Edwards

Strangely enough I seemed to be recovered from yesterday's workout. So I decided to hit it again!

8-20-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

162-® cleared the floor 162-(L) cleared the floor

5 minutes rest

156X1 ® 156-(L) cleared the floor

5 minutes rest

156-® full deadlift, no pause 156-(L) nothing

5 minutes rest

151X1 ® 151-(L) full deadlift, no pause

5 minutes rest

151-® full deadlift, no pause 151-(L) cleared the floor

5 minutes rest

151-® full deadlift, no pause 151-(L) cleared the floor

12 minutes rest

106-® 25 second hold ***both PRs*** 106-(L) 20 second hold

8-20-03 2 Hands Pinch (all comp legal with pause)

90X1 chalk

8 minutes rest

110X1 ***PR (at home) *** chalk

Notes: I feel that soon I will get the 161lb RT deadlift. I'm still an incredibly poor pincher. I'll work on it some more.

Ben Edwards

Still on midnights and still feeling good. I e-mailed Kevin Fulton regarding rules of the middle/ring fingers deadlift and found out, as I suspected, that I'm doing it completely wrong. I'll need to erase all the so-called PRs on that lift and start from scratch this week. At least I can only go up on it :blush

8-23-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

157X1 ® ***PR*** 157X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

157X1 ® 157X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

157-® cleared the floor 157-(L) cleared the floor

5 minutes rest

5 minutes rest

7 minutes rest

106-® 30 second hold ***both hands PR*** 106-(L) 30 second hold

Went to work on the night of the 23rd and decided to do some rep max attempts on the #1 and the Trainer. Here goes.

8-24-03 COC Grippers

#1X28 ® ***PR***

6 minutes rest

#1X25 (L) ***PR***

10 minutes rest

TX37 ® FILED TRAINER ***PR***

17 minutes rest

TX27 (L) FILED TRAINER

2 minutes rest

#2X5 ®

28 minutes rest

#2X3 (L)

2 minutes rest

#2X7 ®

6 minutes rest

#2X5

Notes: Not that I'll ever break any records on the RT, but it sure is feeling good lately to pull over (even if it's a little:) 150lbs. When I first got it I was able to pull about 126lbs. So it's taken me almost a year and a half to go up about 30lbs. Sad. Grippers felt good, as usual. I'm hoping to order KTA tonight, just hope my computer has enough juice to run everything properly!

Ben Edwards

Felt very good today and went for a Rolling Thunder max effort. It paid off.

8-26-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

158X1 ® ***PR right hand*** 158-(L) full deadlift, no pause

8 minutes rest

163-® full deadlift, no pause 163-(L) cleared the floor

6 minutes rest

161-® cleared the floor 161-(L) cleared the floor

7 minutes rest

156X1 ® 156X1 (L)

3 minutes rest

156-® full deadlift, no pause 156-(L) full deadlift, no pause

3 minutes rest

156-® cleared the floor 156-(L) cleared the floor

Notes: 158lbs went up smooth as butter and was held for over 2 seconds and put down as smoothly as it was picked up. I know it's nothing special, but it sure felt good to me! 163lbs is the most that I've ever cleared the floor with. It too was very smooth, just not comp legal. Oh well, very soon...

8-27-03 COC Grippers

TX5 ® Filed TX5 (L) Filed

5 minutes rest

#1X5 ® #1X5 (L)

23 minutes rest

#2X1 ® #2X1 (L)

7 minutes rest

#2X10 ® #2X6 (L)

9 minutes rest

#3-® to @ 1/8 " #3-(L) to @ parallel

17 minutes rest

#2X5 ® #2X5 (L)

7 minutes rest

#2X3 ® #2X5 (L)

Notes: Not going for any PRs. Just wanted some practice on the grippers.

Ben Edwards

Looks like your training is rolling along Ben! I've yet to try the RT but I know many people talk about the difference between a new RT out of the package and one that's been used for a while, so hopefully you'll be able to factor that in your training somehow if a new rt handle will be used for the contest.

Jon@han

Another midnight and more rep max attempts.

8-28-03 COC Grippers

TX3 ® Filed TX3 (L) Filed

8 minutes rest

TX40 ® Filed ***both hands PR*** TX37 (L) Filed

45 minutes rest

#1X35 ® ***both hands PR*** #1X28 (L)

72 minutes rest

#2X10 ® #2X5 (L)

Notes: Felt very good on the 28th. I just wanted to try some reps for the hell of it. Not really any reason besides boredom.

On a brighter note, I've finally gotten KTA! As soon as my #4 gripper gets here, I will no longer post my gripper workouts (as per the KTA "law.") Anyway, that will probably be a couple of weeks, and until then, I remain an only occasional #3 closer. Closet closer at that:) But of course, talk is cheap and everyone knows how easy it is to say, "I closed the #3 years ago. Easy! But I tore a tendon in my hand in prison." Blah, blah, blah. I want to back it up. And soon.

Ben Edwards

It's been a little while since I could post my workouts, but I have actually been working out steadily. Just not able to report them.

8-30-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

158.5X1 ® ***right hand PR*** 158.5-(L) full deadlift, no pause

2" (Husky Handle, I believe) DB Snatch

72.5X1 ® and (L)

@ 3 minutes rest

77.5X1 ® and (L)

@ 3 minutes rest

82.5X1 ® and (L)

@ 3 minutes rest

95X1 ®

Notes: The 2" handle dumbbell snatch was a "challenge" thrown out by a friend at a party. He has the Husky Handles and often does snatches with them. He knows of my fondness of thickbar training and since I had never been over before, he decided to make a formal challenge of it and invite anybody at his party to lift more than him.

I arrived late, so he was already roaring drunk, but nobody else managed the 95lbs. I don't know if that is a halfway decent mark or not. I only know that the most I've ever snatched on a normal diameter dumbbell was 100. So 95 compared to that must be decent.

After the snatch contest, we decided to see who could one hand deadlift the most weight on the 2" handle. I won that with an above the knees lift of 152.5. Nothing to write home about.

9-2-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

159.5X1 ® ***right hand PR*** 159.5-(L) cleared the floor

5 minutes rest

166-® cleared the floor 166-(L) nothing

5 minutes rest

151X1 ® 151X1 (L)

One Hand Ciavattone (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

95X1 ® 95X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

125X1 ® 125X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

155X1 ® chalk-belt 155X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

185X1 ® chalk-belt 185X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

215-® full deadlift, no pause chalk-belt 215-(L) full deadlift, no pause

Homemade "Inch" (2.42" diameter PVC handle) Lift

92.5-® handle to knee height 92.5-(L) handle to knee height

5 minutes rest

142.5-® handle to knee height 142.5-(L) cleared the floor

Notes: Almost at 160 on RT! One hand ciavattone needs to be about 225lbs. I e-mailed Kevin Fulton and he told me that @ 10% over your weight on the OHC is excellent. I'm not really close, but maybe the adrenaline at the contest will put me over the top. My new homemade "Inch" DB is probably my new favorite thing to play with now, except for the grippers of course! There will be an Inch replica at Kevin Fulton's contest in October, but like usual, the most I can hope to do with it will be to spin it in place. Oh well, some day...

Just remembered that on Tom Black's website he mentions that an approximate 135 pounds on an "Inch" handle would be a respectable deadlift weight. Does anyone know how the PVC compared to an Inch handle? Thanks guys.

Ben Edwards

I finally reached my Rolling Thunder goal of 161lbs! I'm very pleased.

9-6-03 Rolling Thunder Deadlift (all comp legal with pause, unless noted)

161X1 ® ***PR!*** 161-(L) cleared the floor

5 minutes rest

161-® cleared the floor 161-(L) cleared the floor

5 minutes rest

151X1 ® 151X1 (L)

5 minutes rest

146X1 ® 146X1 (L)

Homemade "Inch" (2.42" diameter PVC handle) Lift

92.5-® handle to knee height chalk 92.5-(L) handle to knee height

5 minutes rest

145-® cleared the floor chalk 145-(L) cleared the floor

Notes: Again, I'm very happy to finally get over the 160 barrier. It feels pretty good, even though I know it's not a huge lift, it's beginning to be respectable at least.

Still waiting for my COC #4 from Ironmind. I paid for the 2nd day air...but anyway, it'll get here soon and I can start KTA! Until then.

Ben Edwards