Plate Pinches: Relative Difficulty

Adam Juncker

17 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Thank you all for the feedback.  I appreciate you sharing your skills, knowledge, and experience.  It is helpful.  

So thinking about it. 25 LB plates then 35's then 45's assuming they are the same brand and batch and paint and in same location (humid vs dry vs rain and so on). The smaller plate pinching (10 pounds) will be wide so not comparable with the two plate pinching.

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2018 at 12:42 PM, climber511 said:

Kody's 2 hand pinch is 270# so 3 x 45# (135#) sorta kinda might be possible for him :)

Even though they’re two different events, which would you say is harder to achieve: closing the level 10 GHP gripper or the three 45 pound plate pinch with one hand? 

16 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Even though they’re two different events, which would you say is harder to achieve: closing the level 10 GHP gripper or the three 45 pound plate pinch with one hand? 

Three 45s seems at least plausible tho I don't think it will happen. I don't expect any human to ever close a GHP10, no matter what hand size or other advantages they have.

On 4/6/2018 at 1:17 PM, acorn said:

Yes I believe Kody was working towards a 3x20kg lift 1H. I personally think he will get it eventually if anyone could.

On 4/6/2018 at 1:42 PM, climber511 said:

Kody's 2 hand pinch is 270# so 3 x 45# (135#) sorta kinda might be possible for him :)

On 4/7/2018 at 9:06 AM, Adam Juncker said:

I read that he was training for it at one time or another.  For sure, its out there like #4 CCS, but someone will get it.   

I'm sure this is the video everyone is talking about:

52 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Three 45s seems at least plausible tho I don't think it will happen. I don't expect any human to ever close a GHP10, no matter what hand size or other advantages they have.

Holle's been working on his GHP10 for a couple of years now.  I imagine it'll get closed.  This is the same guy who seven repped a #4.  GHP10 cert will be a great deal harder than a DS...but surely in the realm of possible.

6 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Holle's been working on his GHP10 for a couple of years now.  I imagine it'll get closed.  This is the same guy who seven repped a #4.  GHP10 cert will be a great deal harder than a DS...but surely in the realm of possible.

IF the 10 is closed, then what gripper becomes the new king of the hill? 

32 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

IF the 10 is closed, then what gripper becomes the new king of the hill? 

Beef Builder World Class. On Cannon's site it averages 273.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, Alawadhi said:

This is my opinion. No list will really tell you what is hard and harder. You can get a rough idea but thats it. For example my 4 tens is harder than a blob. 5 tens not even Laine Snook did lift it. Jedd Johnson did but Laine could lift my 30KG blob and Jedd didn't. My two 35's plate is NOT easy at all. Jedd for example didn't do it as it was so slippery.

What kind of plates do you have that Laine couldn't pinch 5 tens?!?  That is nuts.  And also crazy about the two 35s being a no go for Jedd. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2018 at 3:25 PM, bencrush said:

What kind of plates do you have that Laine couldn't pinch 5 tens?!?  That is nuts.  And also crazy about the two 35s being a no go for Jedd. 

I never heard Laine says no way. But he did on that plates. It's a bit wide, sharp and very slippery. I can do 4 tens on that. Used to do 5 before it became very hard. Yes things get hard here. The two 35's were easy and slowly it became hard that even Jedd couldn't. It is also a bit thinner than average. Sharp and super slippery. Anyone is welcome to try them at my place. But for most gripsters I live on the other side of the world. Jedd on the other hand could lift the five tens but can't keep it holding up. It just opens up and blasts everywhere. As for the brand am not sure. 

• Like 1

I put some thought into a formula to determine scoring for a plate pinch.  @JHenze646 recommended a formula developed by @Squeezus that goes like this:

Plate Weight Squared X Number of plates X Time = Score.  I like this formula but it did not capture what I was hoping for in that it is a linear formula and plate pinch difficulty does not seem to be linear.

I developed a non-linear formula that uses two factors for calculating a score.  So here is the way I think I will score the various plate pinches:  Bear in mind, this is not set in stone at this point and I may make some changes and tweaks before I post this in the contest forum.

The plate combinations are ordered from easiest to hardest.  The second column has the Scores as they are using the linear scoring.  The third column has the scores as I plan to score in the contest.  I think the non-linear formula (3rd column) represents the incremental difficulty of the lifts.  That said, it's far from perfect, but I'm aiming for fair.  

image.png.aba63adbc31bebc2eb183f14e75b0783.png

The following chart should be read like this: "if I pinched 2x25's for 18.83 seconds, I would get the same score as pinching 2x45s for 1 second....."

Bear in mind for this example, if you pinched 2x45's for 1.01 seconds you would recieve a higher score than if you did 2x25's for 18.83 seconds.  

And theoretically, if you pinched 2x25's for 24.71 minutes, you could beat someone that pinched 3x20 KGs for 1 second.  I don't know who would have that kind of time on their hands though. (pun intended).

image.png.08ff177b0a1a269a32ae4d1c0c56b9ac.png.  

• Like 2

I love the math of this.  Love it.  And I agree that your revised computation method gives a much more accurate relative difficulty than the first one (the notion that 6 10s is easier than 2 35#s at all, let alone multiples easier, is laughable!).  However, as you say, it is not perfect.  For example, the time factor is a little problematic.  In that regard, I am sure I could hold 2 25#s for well over 19 seconds (probably even 2 35#s), but I may NEVER be able to float 2 45#s at all, let alone for a second.  I also doubt that many would agree that 5 5kgs is easier than 2 35#s (I think even 5 10#s is harder than 2 35#s, but arguably close I guess).  I think maybe there needs to be an accounting for width as well, but that can be messy.  Anyway, if you need to figure out a way to score, your way is certainly an improvement over the one you were looking to improve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I apologize my poor communication on this. Gil’s equation was Total weight squared multiplied by time to equal the score. I used this when I ran the “hub champ” challenge. My suggestion was to add a multiplier for the number of plates, I.e. 2 plates = x 1, 3 plates = x 1.15, etc. to the above equation.

However it gets scored, I am looking forward to throwing down on this challenge.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I love the math of this.  Love it.  And I agree that your revised computation method gives a much more accurate relative difficulty than the first one (the notion that 6 10s is easier than 2 35#s at all, let alone multiples easier, is laughable!).  However, as you say, it is not perfect.  For example, the time factor is a little problematic.  In that regard, I am sure I could hold 2 25#s for well over 19 seconds (probably even 2 35#s), but I may NEVER be able to float 2 45#s at all, let alone for a second.  I also doubt that many would agree that 5 5kgs is easier than 2 35#s (I think even 5 10#s is harder than 2 35#s, but arguably close I guess).  I think maybe there needs to be an accounting for width as well, but that can be messy.  Anyway, if you need to figure out a way to score, your way is certainly an improvement over the one you were looking to improve.

It's hard to account for width and the advantages a person may have for plate pinching. So I want a scoring system that will hopefully encourage people to strategize.  I imagine that the vast majority of entries will be in the bottom 7 plate combos.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vinnie said:

second.  I also doubt that many would agree that 5 5kgs is easier than 2 35#s (I think even 5 10#s is harder than 2 35#s, but arguably close I guess)

I pinched 5-10s way before I could do 2-35s. That's just me though. 2-35s is still tough for me 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 24/04/2018 at 10:03, Alawadhi said:

Je n'ai jamais entendu Laine dire non. Mais il l’a fait sur ces assiettes. C'est un peu large, pointu et très glissant. Je peux faire 4 dizaines là-dessus. J’en faisais 5 avant que ça devienne très difficile. Oui, les choses deviennent difficiles ici. Les deux 35 étaient faciles et peu à peu, c'est devenu difficile, même Jedd ne pouvait pas le faire. Il est également un peu plus fin que la moyenne. Sharp et super glissant. Tout le monde est invité à les essayer chez moi. Mais pour la plupart des gripsters, je vis à l’autre bout du monde. Jedd, de son côté, pourrait soulever les cinq dix mais ne peut pas maintenir le cap. Il s'ouvre et explose partout. Quant à la marque, je ne suis pas sûr. 

what is the exact width of your 5 10 that would help me

I'll have to mix kilos and pounds here....

2x10kg

2x25lb

2x15kg

3x10kg

2x35lb

3x25lb

2x20kg

2x45lb

3x25kg calibrated (2 hands)

1x20kg, 1x25kg , 25 at front 

1x20kg, 1x25kg, 25 at back

4x10kg calibrated 

3x15kg

4x20kg calibrated (2 hands)

2x25kg calibrated type

2x25kg York/standard type

3x35lb

4x45lb (2 hands)

3x20kg calibrated 

4x25kg calibrated (2 hands)

In my time coaching i have seen 4x45lb come off floor with 2 hands ✌ 

3x20kg is something I want to do if I ever get time to actually train for this. 

4x25kg , for me,  just doesn't seem possible , at least not for me. Seemed infinitely harder then 3x20kg one handed when I deloaded it with bands...

I haven't included the stupidly wide combos 

Note , plates vary, I'm assuming the best possible thinnest plates for multiples and biggest plates for the doubles... for example for me leoko 2x25kg is easy, rogue are harder as tht are just too narrow for my hand.

Sam

• Like 2