Did I buy too heavy of a filed gripper?

ChimpGrip

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

“The Board” has no official opinion. It’s a divisive subject with a lot of individual opinions. 

You mean the board of directors has no consensus? Surely you jest! 

Here is a clip of me attempting my filed #3. I am open ears here and ready to be coached. Please let me know if this is too heavy and or dangerous. I’m very shy and never video myself, so please forgive me if the angle sucks. 

4B4F46B5-7489-4DD2-AE4B-3F43E6195C0A.MOV

Edited by ChimpGrip
  • Like 1

I don't quite understand. Someone says their #3 is rated at 160 lbs, #4 at 217.... yet IronMind states that they're 280 lbs and 365 lbs.

5 minutes ago, Diabolical said:

I don't quite understand. Someone says their #3 is rated at 160 lbs, #4 at 217.... yet IronMind states that they're 280 lbs and 365 lbs.

Numbers posted on the board are typically RGC ratings, measured at the end of the handles. Each company also has a proprietary measuring method which usually results in a higher number and they aren't comparable.

14 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Numbers posted on the board are typically RGC ratings, measured at the end of the handles. Each company also has a proprietary measuring method which usually results in a higher number and they aren't comparable.

Thanks.

Well to be more on-topic: I don't think overtraining is much of a thing. Training is like the double slit experiment.

main-qimg-9c9ec75574e19e805c8d02d3f01b97

You shoot either light from a light bulb, or an electron one at a time, and either way you get light and dark areas that act as if they're waves that interact with each other. When you go through a dark valley in your training, even in the same day or hour, putting in more effort is working, but you won't see any of the results until you're out of the valley and on the mountain. Even if you can't move the gripper it's still training. Isometrics are very good, in fact. You teach your body to recruit more muscles and go maximally, and give your tendons a safe chance to strengthen; you aren't moving so you can give it your all without risking something getting messed up by going through a range of motion and losing control of the weight. When the gripper doesn't move, you don't have anything force your hands open and forcibly stretch your muscles/connective tissues.  Nothing is moving (dark band) but you are giving effort (electrons/photons emitted), and will see results (light band) when you finally overcome the resistance or in your other exercises/feats of strength. One form of Shaolin training is to give the new recruit a young tree to try and uproot out of the ground. As the monk grows stronger, so does the tree, so the tree never winds up being pulled out of the ground (unless you're a badass). Some famous Indian wrestler would practice wrestling a tree (and mace workouts, which is cool); best wrestler in India.

If you stop training at a dark band, when you are at your lowest and feel like shit all over, you will feel like shit all over and be at your lowest (ha) and think that means you went too far; if you keep training, you wind up at a light band eventually. Mental aggression, willpower, and diligence is your friend. When you stop training, and take it easy for a week, you go from a light band/dark band on the fringe (not the center), through a dark and light band or two and wind back up at the center band and feel stronger than ever. That's mostly a form of self-esteem boosting or competition preparation though, you can keep training without problems. Football players train 2x a day every day every week, and they're not the only ones.

Just work on it. Don't set every rep, try awkward grips on the gripper, try different wrist and elbow angles, and just train.

If you want to improve your regenerative abilities, train for it specifically... there's plenty of 'arts' that specialize in health and quality of life. Qi Gong, meditation, prayer, Yoga, Tai Chi, stretching, and dietary measures. Hot/cold baths/showers, self-massage, intermittent fasting, a ton of food. So yeah, train hard until you are worried about over training or tissue damage, then do some recovery stuff, then go back at it.

3 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Here is a clip of me attempting my filed #3. I am open ears here and ready to be coached. Please let me know if this is too heavy and or dangerous. I’m very shy and never video myself, so please forgive me if the angle sucks. 

That's exactly where I was when I got my first gripper a month ago. #1.5. Now I'm a cm away. First week I did a shit ton of grip stuff, toned it down for a week trying to decide for myself if training like that would be effective or not, then been going balls deep for a couple weeks now. I do 1 - 3 hours of grip work a day now, feel strong. Half clustered together, half spread out throughout the day. Building up steam and putting more effort into it even. Build up volume and do singles or triples with slow eccentrics for the #3 (good for tendons and tears muscles apart) with a hold on the max crush point, more reps and sets with the lower numbers. Make sure to strengthen your weak links: flexors, different wrist positions, and the ring n pinky fingers. Crush the gripper reversed if you don't, wide point of the handles between thumb and index.

• Thanks 1

That handle is way back in your palm man, if you work on setting you might get this, or at least a non filed #3.

What's your bets no set, just pick a gripper up with one hand, adjust a bit without using the other hand, and go.

11 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Before seeing your no set #3 video, I was originally going to say you ordered too heavy of a gripper for your current level.  But considering that you squeezed it what appears to be closer than parallel with no set - I'd say you are fine.  It is not a bad idea to also have a filed #2.5.  Probably more helpful than the filed #3 at this point.  But there are pluses to training with a monster of a gripper like that - you know when you close it that it's at the upper end of what most "normal" #3s are going to measure.  So you'll be prepared to virtually any but a supreme outlier. 

It will also keep your sweep strength very strong working with a much harder gripper than you can currently close. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bencrush said:

Before seeing your no set #3 video, I was originally going to say you ordered too heavy of a gripper for your current level.  But considering that you squeezed it what appears to be closer than parallel with no set - I'd say you are fine.  It is not a bad idea to also have a filed #2.5.  Probably more helpful than the filed #3 at this point.  But there are pluses to training with a monster of a gripper like that - you know when you close it that it's at the upper end of what most "normal" #3s are going to measure.  So you'll be prepared to virtually any but a supreme outlier. 

It will also keep your sweep strength very strong working with a much harder gripper than you can currently close. 

Silly question… But what is an “outlier”? Is that Someone that is outside of the norm? I’m pretty new to this and I’ve seen that word a few times lately.

15 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Silly question… But what is an “outlier”? Is that Someone that is outside of the norm? I’m pretty new to this and I’ve seen that word a few times lately.

I understood his use of the word "outlier" to mean an unusually tough number 3; that is, if he closes his filed 160, he will be more or less prepared for an IM cert on a regular 3 because a new-in-package unfiled 3 would not likely be as hard as that unless it happened to be a "supreme outlier."

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I understood his use of the word "outlier" to mean an unusually tough number 3; that is, if he closes his filed 160, he will be more or less prepared for an IM cert on a regular 3 because a new-in-package unfiled 3 would not likely be as hard as that unless it happened to be a "supreme outlier."

And just from my own perspective, I have bought 5 unrated COC 3 grippers in total, in search of some variety for my training and to see what numbers are to be expected, long term goal being to cert on the COC 3.  I had them all rated, and I got 146, 149, 150, 150, and 153.  That's a small sample size, and I know it can vary up and down from that range, but I think it is fair to say that 160 is higher than you'd EXPECT to get from a random grab of a 3.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Diabolical said:

If you want to improve your regenerative abilities, train for it specifically... there's plenty of 'arts' that specialize in health and quality of life. Qi Gong, meditation, prayer, Yoga, Tai Chi, stretching, and dietary measures. Hot/cold baths/showers, self-massage, intermittent fasting, a ton of food. So yeah, train hard until you are worried about over training or tissue damage, then do some recovery stuff, then go back at it.

That's exactly where I was when I got my first gripper a month ago. #1.5. Now I'm a cm away. First week I did a shit ton of grip stuff, toned it down for a week trying to decide for myself if training like that would be effective or not, then been going balls deep for a couple weeks now. I do 1 - 3 hours of grip work a day now, feel strong. Half clustered together, half spread out throughout the day. Building up steam and putting more effort into it even. Build up volume and do singles or triples with slow eccentrics for the #3 (good for tendons and tears muscles apart) with a hold on the max crush point, more reps and sets with the lower numbers. Make sure to strengthen your weak links: flexors, different wrist positions, and the ring n pinky fingers. Crush the gripper reversed if you don't, wide point of the handles between thumb and index.

I’ll definitely give those a try. I have found that with greater daily caloric intake and training grip more often (at medium intensity) that my grip gets stronger quickly. This was the missing ingredient I was searching for all along. Even though I did not close that filed #3, it feels like it’s within reach. I’ll tell you what though, I must have a cursed GHP 6 because even it somehow feels harder than my 160 pound #3.

11 hours ago, wobbler said:

That handle is way back in your palm man, if you work on setting you might get this, or at least a non filed #3.

What's your bets no set, just pick a gripper up with one hand, adjust a bit without using the other hand, and go.

Yeah my setting is kind of my own, make-shift, whatever feels right set. The set is what I’ve struggled with the most. I do have a non-filed 3 that I doubt is as heavy as my filed one that I will give a try next week. 

4 hours ago, bencrush said:

Oh yeah I was surprised when it came in the mail and saw the rating. According to Cannon PowerWorks ratings data, the heaviest #3 (out of a sizable sample) was rated 161. I’ve been on this board for four years now and I want my name known one day as one of the elite, so more videos and information to come. “Limit” is not in my vocabulary. 

34 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I hope to have the strength to crush a #3 in a certification in the next 12 months. As I said in my previous post my overall body strength and daily intake of calories is the best it’s ever been. I nearly sent 315 through the roof on the bench press Friday night, at 168 pounds bodyweight (raw). Easily my best ever. At my current rate, I’ll have 405 down at less than 200 pounds of BW. I won’t be stopping there either. I want to one day be in the same class as the grip elite, so I’ll be posting more videos and will be more active on here.

4 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I hope to have the strength to crush a #3 in a certification in the next 12 months. As I said in my previous post my overall body strength and daily intake of calories is the best it’s ever been. I nearly sent 315 through the roof on the bench press Friday night, at 168 pounds bodyweight (raw). Easily my best ever. At my current rate, I’ll have 405 down at less than 200 pounds of BW. I won’t be stopping there either. I want to one day be in the same class as the grip elite, so I’ll be posting more videos and will be more active on here.

Take your time, don’t jump to fast, let tissues adapt and it will come. Don’t rush it. That’s when the unnecessary injuries start to pile up. 

8 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

The bench press sounds amazing at that body weight, but I'm not sure it is that connected to grip.  For comparison, I'm in your weight class, and I don't think even in my youth I ever benched more than about 200 (I'm positive I can't do that much now, and even more positive that I will never, ever hit 300!) --  yet at 49 and without much upper body strength, I have closed several COC 3s and reached some other relatively tough grip/pinch benchmarks.  I actually would like to start working on my overall strength as well, but I don't expect that to impress anyone or to do much for my chase of the IM cert.  I just have a feeling that I wanna be in better shape at 50 than I ever was, and I believe I can do it.

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

I hope to have the strength to crush a #3 in a certification in the next 12 months

@ChimpGrip I will turn 50 on April 27, 2019.  I would like to be ready to cert the COC 3 and or the MM1 for that birthday.  Let's race.

3 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

The bench press sounds amazing at that body weight, but I'm not sure it is that connected to grip.  For comparison, I'm in your weight class, and I don't think even in my youth I ever benched more than about 200 (I'm positive I can't do that much now, and even more positive that I will never, ever hit 300!) --  yet at 49 and without much upper body strength, I have closed several COC 3s and reached some other relatively tough grip/pinch benchmarks.  I actually would like to start working on my overall strength as well, but I don't expect that to impress anyone or to do much for my chase of the IM cert.  I just have a feeling that I wanna be in better shape at 50 than I ever was, and I believe I can do it.

Depends a bit on hand size. You can be an elite bench presser with a really strong grip but have small hands. I know of impressive powerlifters which are not so great at grip, it's probably because they have smaller hands and doesn't train grip. Then you have a guy like Kirill Sarychev who is the world record holder in raw bench press who has a monster grip. But he's a tall guy so I don't think he has small hands and he probably trains his grip to some extent aswell.

• Like 1

Just now, Hopefully said:

Sign me up for the race!

It's on!  Then we have an arbitrary for everyone else but not at all arbitrary for me goal of April 29, 2019, for MM1 and/or IM COC3!  I would add GHP 7, too, but I think that is substantially easier than the other two and I expect to reach that one this year.  If you want a little pre-race on that also, sure!

34 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I'm skipping the GHP 7. I don't have the block, and it would cost me waaay too much to buy it since I live in sweden. Also from what I've seen you can probably smash that right now :tongue

If you want to do the GHP challenge you can borrow the block from me when you're ready, as longs as you send it back when you're done :) 

It's 38 mm, just cut a piece of wood to train with.

• Like 1

Just to mention it, that probably was a ~150 lb #3 before the filing. After filing, it has further to close, which of course takes more force.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Just to mention it, that probably was a ~150 lb #3 before the filing. After filing, it has further to close, which of course takes more force.

In my opinion, the filing makes the gripper even harder than the RGC rating, because the total pounds of pressure to close must carry through a larger range of motion, the end of the range being the hardest.  I find my 141 filed COC 2.5 harder than a 145 COC 3.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:51 AM, Vinnie said:

@ChimpGrip I will turn 50 on April 27, 2019.  I would like to be ready to cert the COC 3 and or the MM1 for that birthday.  Let's race.

You got a deal! I hope there are IM judges in Texas.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 4:27 PM, Vinnie said:

In my opinion, the filing makes the gripper even harder than the RGC rating, because the total pounds of pressure to close must carry through a larger range of motion, the end of the range being the hardest.  I find my 141 filed COC 2.5 harder than a 145 COC 3.

A 141?! Newish? Crazy numbers recently