Did I buy too heavy of a filed gripper?

ChimpGrip

20 minutes ago, jvance said:

A 141?! Newish? Crazy numbers recently

It was 141 after filing.  It had to have been less before filing, because extra pounds would be needed to close the handle that much farther to touch.  My other 2.5s are 127, 129, and 132 (the 132 is pretty hard for an unfiled 2.5).

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

It was 141 after filing.  It had to have been less before filing, because extra pounds would be needed to close the handle that much farther to touch.  My other 2.5s are 127, 129, and 132 (the 132 is pretty hard for an unfiled 2.5).

I was gonna saaaayyy!! 141 for a 2.5 is insane if it was unfiled. Haha

I recently filed a CoC 2.5: 130 out of the package and 138 after filing. I have a GHP 6 that rates 137 and without a doubt, the filed gripper feels harder to close. However, this is the first filed gripper I've ever tried and I wonder how much that feeling will change once I am more familiar with it. 

I don't see how there is so much controversy about this, a filed gripper will always be more difficult unless you somehow manage to deform the spring which is pretty unlikely unless using a cheapo gripper. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I don't see how there is so much controversy about this, a filed gripper will always be more difficult unless you somehow manage to deform the spring which is pretty unlikely unless using a cheapo gripper. 

I never thought anyone would not think that a filed gripper is harder to close. That’s the whole point of the filing . More distance to travel increasing the poundage needed to get the job done.