Did I buy too heavy of a filed gripper?

ChimpGrip

I missed out on the chance to get the custom choked #3, so I am waiting until the next batch in May. 

As a temporary fix, I purchased a filed #3. As of now, I have closed the #2.5 w/ my right hand and the 2 with the left. I was hoping the filed #3 could serve as a way to break the plateau and finally close a standard #3. 

Is a filed #3 too heavy for someone at my level? Should it have been a 2.5 or GHP Level 6 instead? The level 6 is another gripper I have yet to close. My gains in crush grip have been stagnant for quite some time now. 

• Like 1

Filed grippers are harder then normal, so it would be more difficult than a regular #3. It sounds like if anything you need a filed #2.5, or another gripper that's in that range

• Like 1

I don't think it's too hard for you. If your crush is around 130# a filed #3 will be okay. I would not go heavier than that tho.

You should try to find something in between the #2.5 and the #3. Maybe a Silvis T-Rex if you can't find something in the high 130's to low 140's.

You might be able to find a Robert Baraban Spectrum gripper in the high 130s on Cannon Powerworks.  That might be enough harder than the 2.5 to be an intermediate goal before the 3.

Choke that 3 with a hose clamp. You can fill in the filed part with hot glue for now, back to approximately the original handle dimensions. But yeah, a filed 2.5 or a regular 3 would have been the way to go.

Is there any reason not to file all of your training grippers? Not including the pretty ones or goal grippers of course. It seems like working BTR would be beneficial if done consistently. Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

Is there any reason not to file all of your training grippers? Not including the pretty ones or goal grippers of course. It seems like working BTR would be beneficial if done consistently. Asking for a friend.

Good question. BTR training is very effective. I guess one thing that could be an issue is that the risk of injuries are higher but I think if you do it the right way you can probably stay free from injuries. If you file all your grippers, even the very easy ones and don't go 100% on every close.

It's important to start easy since it's way harder on the hands. I would be careful if I were a beginner, also I would not file the grippers too much, a few millimeters is enough to start with.

I have a Baraban adjustable which is filed a lot and my fingers can really feel it after using it, even with fairly light resistance. Filing an adjustable (like the Baraban) is probably smarter instead of filing all your torsion spring grippers. So that is also a reason not to file all your grippers, you can just file one if it's adjustable.

19 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

This is like my personal favorite gripper advice I have always given.  I think training BTR is the single-most beneficial thing you can do along the way.  File everything.  File anything you're willing to file.

Regarding the original question, I think people work with too heavy of grippers in general.  If you file your #3 and you cannot close it in a choker, then I think it's too heavy.  If you file your #3 and you force it shut with two hands and it pops open more than about 1-2mm then I think you filed it too much or it's too heavy of a gripper. 

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, Cannon said:

I think people work with too heavy of grippers in general

Aiming a little too high is a hard temptation to resist, but you do give good advice and I think you are right.  You definitely gave me the right advice re: choked gripper.  The 3.5 I got (not deliberately against your advice, but because the 3 was sold out) was indeed too hard, even to do once, choked from parallel.  Next time I will get a choked 3 and I know that will be ideal.  I have a filed 2 and 2.5 as well and they are useful.  The day I need a filed 3 I will have to celebrate ...

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the advice. My filed and rated #3 came in yesterday, it’s rated at 160 pounds. I gave it a squeeze for fun with no set and brought it to about an inch from being closed. I will go ahead and get the filed 2.5 (or that pesky GHP Level 6) and add it to my training. 

Thank you @Cannon for the great service as always!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam Scott said:

Joe Kinney trained on a heavily filed #3 before clicking the #4.

Grinding 😎

11 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

Grinding 😎

D E S T R O Y E D THE 4. GET IT RIGHT.

• Haha 1

I’m kind I new to grip guys... and I see a lot of under the table and not so under the table Joe Kinney jokes here... don’t know much about him. Is he a fraud in the eyes of the board? Is he not what he says he is? Fill me in on all the Kinney hi jinx!

Joe

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’m kind I new to grip guys... and I see a lot of under the table and not so under the table Joe Kinney jokes here... don’t know much about him. Is he a fraud in the eyes of the board? Is he not what he says he is? Fill me in on all the Kinney hi jinx!

Joe

I think this is a judgement call that one would need to make him or herself. Some believe and others do not. His #4 close is on YouTube.

Edited by acromegaman
Added her

4 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

I think this is a judgement call that one would need to make him or herself. Some believe and others do not. His #4 close is on YouTube.

Does he visit the board? Haha I gotta find this video!

12 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

Just saw it as he grinded the handles. That looked waaayyyy to easy. Like it was a number 2. Not saying it was a number 2 of course 

51 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Just saw it as he grinded the handles. That looked waaayyyy to easy. Like it was a number 2. Not saying it was a number 2 of course 

I made the same determination. Lol

17 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

I made the same determination. Lol

I honestly don’t think what he did with it is humanly possible. I have a 4 rated at 217 and it’s like squeezing a brick! Anyone that can do that to any number 4 is not of this world.

On 4/10/2018 at 4:22 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

If you have small hands, does it make it impossible to close extreme grippers, like the #4? 

5 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

If you have small hands, does it make it impossible to close extreme grippers, like the #4? 

Some people have hands so small that a credit card set it's impossible even on easy grippers, but a deep set should be no issue for any sized hands

39 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I have no clue my man

Hand size shouldn't matter much for MMS, but it will be a big disadvantage wide set. With smaller hands, you just really need to practice your set a lot and get really efficient with it.  

On 4/10/2018 at 4:04 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Joe

“The Board” has no official opinion. It’s a divisive subject with a lot of individual opinions. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cannon said:

“The Board” has no official opinion. It’s a divisive subject with a lot of individual opinions. 

Indeed.  It is best not to speak of "He who shall not be named." 

• Like 1