Towel lifts what can you do?

Guest JSimon95

Guest simon lodge

Jsimon95

Hi

Ive managed to be able to lift 100 pound for 15 to 20 seconds, one arm

towel lift with two 50 pound plates also ive do 80 pound lift for 40 seconds hands hert like #### after fingers felt like they were being pulled out of there socket.

simon lodge

(Edited by simon lodge at 11:05 am on July 17, 2001)

(Edited by simon lodge at 3:51 pm on July 17, 2001)

Simon are u just running the towels through the disc's and lifting one handed. Never tried it this way always used towels around a barbell but will give it a go.

Glad you enjoy this lift it is a tough grip exercise.

Jesse: Did you ever get round to trying these after we last discussed them?

Tom

Guest Jesse Snadden

Funny you should mention because I was just going to try them tonight. My forearms are really fried. I managed to shoulder our first stone which weighs 250 and put it on a platform that goes to my nose level (I am 6'). I also shouldered our 2nd stone which weighs 270 and put it on a platform slightly lower. Then we did Farmers, by the way Tom I can now walk with them without having the cylindres bang into my knees and make me trip in my legs. I needed more trap and wrist strenght. Sledge hammer lever work helped a lot. We were working on 100ft sprints. I did 210 lbs in 13 seconds and then I used the 260's and got 60 ft (it was fast but my grip let go so we took the plates off and I finished the course.) I am going to my next strongman comp in a few weeks. Starting to also work with our modified rolling thunder which has a 2.5" grip :)

Jesse:  Excellent figures on those lifts; Figured wrist strength would help with the cylinders, Good luck in your next comp and let me know how you get on with the towel lifts. Your report should be very interesting .

Tom

I've been thinking about these and can't wait to try 'em.  I was also thinking that if you can get towels long enough so that the bar can be held below one's knees, this would eliminate all possibility of getting any support from one's thighs.

BC.

Guest Jesse Snadden

Actually I think Towel Deadlifts would be great for me because one of the events are the arm over arm pull. The towels will build the grip I need to hold onto that rope.

Jesse the towel lifts are ideal for rope pull practice. I've been using them for a while now and they work real well. Try lifting then lower the weight to take the stress of the towel, relax grip a touch at this stage then apply the grip and pull again. The longer the range of motion in the pull the better.

Tom  

Guest simon lodge

Vikingpower

hi

Yes Im putting the towel though the holes of both plates I tried to hold 111 pound today got it up held it for 5 seconds did it for three sets on my right hand my left only got up to 100 pound couldnt do any more set hands was nackered so all I did was some negatives on my grip machine.

simon

Guest Jesse Snadden

HEy Tom, I did the towel deadlifts and worked up to 115 for 10 seconds per hand. They worked out great. I slid the towel through the holes in the plates and put two 45's and one 25 on the towel. After that I did some cleans with my 2.5" handle dumbell with 110 pounds. Then some lever work on my sledge hammers. Next week I will go for 25 seconds with 115 on the towel hold.

tried the towels through the discs today as compared to towels round a barbell, It's a good alternative.

When I train with the towels I do not normally do long holds put do pulls in sets of 10 to 15 reps when I hit my target reps I add a touch more weight. This better suits, in my opinion, the rope pulls in strongman comps.

Tom

Bob.

It is simply using a regular towel as the grip medium. You can wrap 2 towels round a barbell and lift (pic on my site) or insert a towel through the holes in the weight discs, then grip both ends of the towel in one hand and lift.

I prefer doing pulls for reps, letting the weight come of the towel inbetween each rep or you can do timed holds it's your call what you do.

This lift ,I find, hits the fingers real good, try it and have fun.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Can you give me some form pointers for performing the lift?

Do you lift from between your legs?  Or do you lift from the side (similar to doing a side bend)?

Bob