Pull-ups Added Weight or Reps

Jeff Parker

So I'm pretty new to armwrestling, been training for about a year and have done 1 contest, and I have found that the better I get at various pull-ups from different grips, the better I get at armwrestling.  Now that I am finally getting almost mediocre at them, I used to be awful, I am wondering what I would get the most results with specific for armwrestling, more weight or more reps?

My current best with a narrow hammer grip  and strict form, zero kipping and full extension on each rep is 12 reps and max added weight is 55lbs.  This is at a bodyweight of 201lbs.  

Right now I am hitting pull-ups twice a week with one time focusing on bodyweight reps and the other on weighted reps or 1 rep max weights

I do pull-ups every work out for AW with about 75% of them being neutral grip..when I am training back/bis (2x/week) I will do them weighted and the heavy days I do 50-75% ROM and will do holds in a lock position (~90-100 deg of elbow flexion). I also try to do them with a false grip on a thick handle. On my off days I do full ROM with 5 sets of 20 on various items; overhand, neutral, globe/softball pullups, etc just to keep blood flow into those area. Recently I also started doing pullups on the Rouge Globe (12") which works my side pressure a lot if I keep my hands more on the side versus the top. 

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 1

Imo, just like what Luke said, you'll likely get the most carryover from doing neutral grip Pull-Ups using a false grip, or even using a crusher or country crush. Just don't let your wrist open up or it will defeat the purpose.

I used to do timed holds in a neutral grip with weight added - 70-85% of my max pull.  Be careful though, I irritated my bicep tendon by overdoing things and had to stop weighted stuff for a while and only do bodyweight chins and pullups. I definetly recommend you hit the biceps on days you are going to to pullups/chinups.

Screenshot_20180328-200753.thumb.png.4dd91e725643c9f4ce20d58d490f7d1c.png

Here is an example. Using a wrist wrench in one hand and a 3" rolling handle in the other.  Not the best form but I took this after a pinch workout. 

In my opinion better is more reps

But no more than 15....

But it's only my opinion....

See time 0:25 second exercise 

Try this option

No less than 3 reps remember !!

PS.

First exercise in this video it's for hook

Remember bend wrist !!

Edited by pawel r