April Rolls - Wrist roller Challenge 4/8 - 4/22

JHenze646

The wrist roller is making its return to the North American gripsport championships this year and what better way to invigorate your training for this event  than with an online challenge. Athletes will complete with each other for glory (and possibly a prize). This will offer a friendly competition and an opportunity to promote Gripsport and the Gripboard community.

The April Rolls Challenge

Athletes will attempt to operate a fixed wrist roller in both the forward and reverse directions for a vertical travel distance of 39-3/8 inches (1 m) with 120 lbs. (54.5 Kg) for males and 80 lbs. (36.25 Kg) for females in the fastest time possible. Athletes can submit attempts April 8th 12:01 am EST to April 22nd 11:59 pm. Unlimited attempts can be submitted during this time period.

Rules

1. The wrist roller must be supported, i.e. a barbell in a power rack, a wrist roller on a bar in squat stands or the ladder rack on your pick up truck, etc.
    2. A 1.9 - 2 inch (48 - 50 mm) wrist roller is to be used. Examples: an olympic Barbell sleeve, an Fbbc 2 in. wrist roller, ironmind owwr,  metal tube/pipe. Contact me for approval of your cylindrical object if you are unsure.
    3. A vertical lift of 39-3/8 in.(1 m) travel distance must be completed twice, once forward and once reverse. Either the forward or reverse direction may be completed first but both must be completed for a complete attempt. The decent of each lift does not have to be controlled but some control is encouraged for the preservation of your equipment and floors.
    4. The rope, cord, etc. connecting the wrist roller to the weights must be taunt before the attempt begins.
    5. Travel distance must clearly be marked on the rope, cord, etc. connecting the wrist roller to the weight for ease of judging. A piece of tape or a clearly visible marking of paint, ink, etc. should be used to mark the lowest point of the travel distance below the wrist roller.
     6.The hands can operate independent or in unison for completion of the attempt.
    7. All attempts must clearly show the supported wrist roller, the travel distance connection, and the weight throughout the entire attempt.
    8. If the athlete is unable to position themselves or the wrist roller equipment properly. Adjustments may be made for adjustment up or down to achieve the correct position as long as the situation is not deemed an advantage, i.e.  a short athlete stands on a box to  achieve the correct position.
    - If there are any factors you are unsure of please check with the judge.

Judging
    The attempt must be video recorded clearly showing the weights, travel distance connection, and wrist roller throughout the attempt. The travel distance must be shown(measured) on camera*. The weight must be shown*. Time will start when an initiation of movement at the hands commences. the arms should be parallel to the floor and perpendicular to the travel distance connection at the start of the attempt. Attempts will be measured in seconds, tenths of seconds, hundredths, etc. as necessary to separate placings.
Time will end when the the travel distance has been accomplished the second time.

*can be still photos.

Posting attempts on social medias:

Instagram  
    Please use the hashtag #Aprilrolls so myself and others can find your attempts but feel free to include as many hashtags as you want like, #thisweekingrip #gripboard #gripsport #handsofthegods #whatever and you can also tag me(onward2adventure) in the post. A link to the post should also be posted to the Gripboard in the April Rolls challenge thread.

Youtube/vimeo/etc
    Please use "April Rolls" in the title and make sure the video is shareable. The video doesn't have to be public but a link must be posted in the Gripboard thread or Dm'd to me and I will share and post it to the Gripboard.

You are responsible for ensuring I receive submission of your attempt. If I do not receive your attempt, Private video/account, non-working link, etc. , your attempt will not be added to the ranking. I will update the ranking as often as I can. We have a great sport and a great community and sharing these video attempts is a way to promote both.

While shenanigans are always encouraged, unsportsmanlike conduct is not. This is a challenge amongst friends and should be treated as such.

I have probably way over-thought this for the dozen or so people who will participate, but if you find any errors or have any questions, please let me know.

Mens

1. Andrew Dube 17.88

1. Lucas Raymond 18.93

3. Adam Juncker 19.21

4. Don Cummings 25.21

5. J. Henze 26.42

6.  Jedd Johnson 27.73 (tied)

6.  Rob McMurren 27.73 (tied)

Womens

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

The wrist roller is making its return to the North American gripsport championships this year and what better way to invigorate your training for this event  than with an online challenge. Athletes will complete with each other for glory (and possibly a prize). This will offer a friendly competition and an opportunity to promote Gripsport and the Gripboard community.

The April Rolls Challenge

Athletes will attempt to operate a fixed wrist roller in both the forward and reverse directions for a vertical travel distance of 39-3/8 inches (1 m) with 120 lbs. (54.5 Kg) for males and 80 lbs. (36.25 Kg) for females in the fastest time possible. Athletes can submit attempts April 8th 12:01 am EST to April 22nd 11:59 pm. Unlimited attempts can be submitted during this time period.

Rules

1. The wrist roller must be supported, i.e. a barbell in a power rack, a wrist roller on a bar in squat stands or the ladder rack on your pick up truck, etc.
    2. A 1.9 - 2 inch (48 - 50 mm) wrist roller is to be used. Examples: an olympic Barbell sleeve, an Fbbc 2 in. wrist roller, ironmind owwr,  metal tube/pipe. Contact me for approval of your cylindrical object if you are unsure.
    3. A vertical lift of 39-3/8 in.(1 m) travel distance must be completed twice, once forward and once reverse. Either the forward or reverse direction may be completed first but both must be completed for a complete attempt. The decent of each lift does not have to be controlled but some control is encouraged for the preservation of your equipment and floors.
    4. The rope, cord, etc. connecting the wrist roller to the weights must be taunt before the attempt begins.
    5. Travel distance must clearly be marked on the rope, cord, etc. connecting the wrist roller to the weight for ease of judging. A piece of tape or a clearly visible marking of paint, ink, etc. should be used to mark the lowest point of the travel distance below the wrist roller.
     6.The hands can operate independent or in unison for completion of the attempt.
    7. All attempts must clearly show the supported wrist roller, the travel distance connection, and the weight throughout the entire attempt.
    8. If the athlete is unable to position themselves or the wrist roller equipment properly. Adjustments may be made for adjustment up or down to achieve the correct position as long as the situation is not deemed an advantage, i.e.  a short athlete stands on a box to  achieve the correct position.
    - If there are any factors you are unsure of please check with the judge.

Judging
    The attempt must be video recorded clearly showing the weights, travel distance connection, and wrist roller throughout the attempt. The travel distance must be shown(measured) on camera*. The weight must be shown*. Time will start when an initiation of movement at the hands commences. the arms should be parallel to the floor and perpendicular to the travel distance connection at the start of the attempt. Attempts will be measured in seconds, tenths of seconds, hundredths, etc. as necessary to separate placings.
Time will end when the the travel distance has been accomplished the second time.

*can be still photos.

Posting attempts on social medias:

Instagram  
    Please use the hashtag #Aprilrolls so myself and others can find your attempts but feel free to include as many hashtags as you want like, #thisweekingrip #gripboard #gripsport #handsofthegods #whatever and you can also tag me(onward2adventure) in the post. A link to the post should also be posted to the Gripboard in the April Rolls challenge thread.

Youtube/vimeo/etc
    Please use "April Rolls" in the title and make sure the video is shareable. The video doesn't have to be public but a link must be posted in the Gripboard thread or Dm'd to me and I will share and post it to the Gripboard.

You are responsible for ensuring I receive submission of your attempt. If I do not receive your attempt, Private video/account, non-working link, etc. , your attempt will not be added to the ranking. I will update the ranking as often as I can. We have a great sport and a great community and sharing these video attempts is a way to promote both.

While shenanigans are always encouraged, unsportsmanlike conduct is not. This is a challenge amongst friends and should be treated as such.

I have probably way over-thought this for the dozen or so people who will participate, but if you find any errors or have any questions, please let me know.

@Anton.Torrella, @Jose Cabrera, @Anthony C., @Chez, @crushonomics I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how hard 120 pounds would be to roll, or if I could even do it at all, but this sounds like something we could all try on a Saturday during that window.  I'm in if you all are.  And if it turns out to be one of those things I am good at like the Euro (my head does get a little puffed up when I float 200), well then, just do a farmer's walk right after with 200 IN EACH HAND like you did last time and I will be put back into my humble place.  You monsters.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

@Anton.Torrella, @Jose Cabrera, @Anthony C., @Chez, @crushonomics I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how hard 120 pounds would be to roll, or if I could even do it at all, but this sounds like something we could all try on a Saturday during that window.  I'm in if you all are.  And if it turns out to be one of those things I am good at like the Euro (my head does get a little puffed up when I float 200), well then, just do a farmer's walk right after with 200 IN EACH HAND like you did last time and I will be put back into my humble place.  You monsters.

I have the FBBC 2 inch roller that I have been using to train for nationals. We can use that. We Just need to figure out a way to mount it since I don't think Anton has a power rack. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

120 is hard, not impossible.  If you're using an olympic bar, don't forget your counter weight.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

You’ll be good at this too, I’m sure - this’ll be a great thing to set up on a Saturday

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob McMurren said:

120 is hard, not impossible.  If you're using an olympic bar, don't forget your counter weight.

Speaking from experience, without a counterweight things get exciting real quick and not the good kind of exciting.

4 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

What's the reason for the specific time frame of the 8th - 22nd?

To create a sense of urgency and to limit people from posting last minute like an eBay auction. Plus it gives me an urgent deadline for making the prizes. Er, wait... did I say prizes?!? I meant judging the attempts.

• Like 1

I will be offering a small prize to the individual with the fastest time in both the men’s and women’s class. I will post a picture of the prize as soon as I finish making it.

Also as I will be celebrating my birthday in the month of April, I will be buying myself the piece of grip gear that I would most like to have this year, the Dube Cube.

A8ACFC3C-6D01-4525-9515-1C475A94CD81.jpeg.a428242dd695e9421f257214795f245f.jpeg

However it won’t be delivered to me.

Grip N Bend has agreed to ship the Dube Cube to one lucky participant who will be randomly drawn at the end of the April Rolls Challenge. This is open to participation world wide.

Whether you are completing for fun, to make yourself better, or to win, you will have a chance to win this great piece of grip gear. This will most likely be a small raffle so your odds are very good.

A huge thank you to Grip N Bend for putting up with my nonsense and agreeing to help me out with this.

C5526493-B7DD-4F49-B6DD-3EADEDA6C39D.jpeg.cf59c52f58408d948a971b6c7d02ea82.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Please find the video below. This should give you an idea of how an attempt should look. The showing of the travel distance is not ideal but I am filming in a dark and cluttered garage by myself. I would suggest having someone else record your attempt for better video quality.

Insta-example

Edited by JHenze646
“But wait, there’s more!” - B. Mays
  • Like 2

I will donate a Inch Pinch/Shallow inch pinch to be a random draw for all the participants. 

• Like 2

• Like 4

Please find my attempt below. Would somebody be kind enough to time my attempt?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Allen Heineck said:

I got 39.53.  Sound close?

Thank you, Mr. Heineck. I will use that time.

@JHenze646 I get 32 seconds if I use the numbers from your video. Watching it with a stopwatch I get 32.38 seconds. I am counting from the moment you start rolling to hitting the tape on the second pass. 

Edited by Andrew Dube

2 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

@JHenze646 I get 32 seconds if I use the numbers from your video. Watching it with a stopwatch I get 32.38 seconds. I am counting from the moment you start rolling to hitting the tape on the second pass. 

I timed this incorrectly.  I went until the weight returned to the floor.  @Andrew Dube has the proper time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

20 hours ago, Allen Heineck said:

I timed this incorrectly.  I went until the weight returned to the floor.  @Andrew Dube has the proper time.

Thank you, Gentlemen. 

@Allen Heineck since you have no vested interest, would you be so kind as to judge my new attempt below? 

*yells* I AM COMING FOR YOU, DUBE!!!💪🏻😜

• Like 1

Here are Jedd’s and my attempt from this morning....who wants to time for me?

April Rolls- Luke & Jedd

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Here are Jedd’s and my attempt from this morning....who wants to time for me?

April Rolls- Luke & Jedd

Jedds time- 27.81 sec.  Yours was - BAADMF game over!!! 18.57