Training Pinch Grip

MurrayStrongman

Hey all,

i qualified for NAGSC and my pinch grip game is suverly lacking in relation to my crush grip. @Rob McMurrenalready suggested I finish every workout with some pinch grip to build it up between now and then. Looking for a few different exercises/supersets/finishers to build my pinch grip any suggestions welcome. Don’t have a ton of pinch grip equipment (only the Hub, a pseudo blob and the dube cube) Thanks in advance 

The most important event to train for is the Euro since its a stand alone event and that is where the most pinch points for the comp are. the other pinch items will be in the medley. If you don't have access to a euro, and don't want to spend the money on it, I would buy a flask or 2 inch pinch block that is large enough to use two hands. 

Edited by Chez
  • Thanks 1

If you look at the items in the medley you have block weights, inch pinch, plate hub, plate pinch, inverted DB

You can train for those pretty cheap also. You can get a wide one hand pinch block to train block weights and inverted DB, a 4 inch one would be good, you already have the hub, you can use thumbscrews or a altered pony clamp like cannon sells to train key pinch for the inch pinch, and the two hand pinch device you buy for the euro will cover you for plate pinches. 

• Like 1

The most common widths used on the Euro are 50 to 58mm or roughly 2" to 2.25" - and yes the small divisions do matter.  That said working with a fixed width device in that range that is big enough to use two handed will pay big dividends for the Euro event.  There is an awful lot of technique involved in the Euro event and the only way to learn that is to train with a similar device that allows you to train technique.  I know Jedd has a DVD out on technique for the Euro and if you live close to any of the better pinchers a visit would really help you.

• Like 1

Use two 45s. Pick up a piece of 1 1/2 pipe from the hardware store and a couple of hose clamps to make a cheap euro setup.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Use two 45s. Pick up a piece of 1 1/2 pipe from the hardware store and a couple of hose clamps to make a cheap euro setup.

I did the same thing for my first ever comp and it worked great. I put up a very respectable number on the Euro. I used rounded standard plates though since oly plates often have sharp edges which cuts up the webbing. 

• Like 1

Come to Waterloo, we have almost  everything  Except the euro.  Also go to the grip well and read Kody Burns and Chris Rice''s Q and As   Both have great insight on pinching.

• Like 1