NAGS Championship 2018 Events & Updates

Jedd Johnson

Bracing is contact between the wrist and the bells or plates.  So feel free to tilt as needed on the challenge bells.

All points must be earned within thee 90 second time limit.

67° F (19.4° Canadian) with 93% humidity here in beautiful Elmira, NY.  Welcome to grip in the jungle you crazy Canucks!

USA USA USA

usa-usa-usa-1ebelo.jpg

I learned a few things and notes on yesterday:

- Wish I knew the Canadian team was made up of extremely massive beasts before I talked so much smack. 😂 Congrats to team Canada on a well deserved win.  Great bunch of guys!

- I need to train grippers.  Skin between the handles, bad sets, poor choices on what grippers to try, and just not being very strong on them yesterday almost had me bomb out.  Ended up dropping down to 135 on my final attempt, just to make sure I would get a close and some points.  34 lbs below my best 20mm block contest close.  Oh well.  Some days you have it, some days you don't. 

- A full week of rest before a contest is way too much for me.  Going back to 3 days.

- Luke Raymond is a Beast!  Congrats on a huge win.

- Eric and Justin pushed him right to the last event.  Great job!

- Didn't get my 200lb 2HP, but I did get 194 and change on a very humid day when everyone's numbers were down.  Was very happy with that.

- That was the best run contest I've ever competed in.  Jedd did an amazing job. 2HP flew by instead of taking 3 hours.

- Thanks to all the sponsors.  Very much appreciated

- Dan Fleming is a mutant.  So strong for his size.  Was a blast to watch him compete

- Big Joe Sullivan did an awesome job.  Without a mental error on his part in the medley (and if he'd learn to set a gripper), he would have taken me in the 120kg class.  He accidentally skipped the 5 dimes pinch in the medly, but got it afterward.  Dude's a beast.  Always fun to compete with him.  Once he's done a few more of these, I think he'll be competing for the overall.

- Congrats to everyone who competed.  Meeting everyone was the highlight of the day.

- They should replace waterboarding with the wrist roller event.

- Thanks to my beautiful wife.  Without her there, I wouldn't have been able to snap back mentally from the disastrous gripper performance.

- Most fun I've had in a long time with my clothes on.

- After the medly, I got some air on the Fatman.  It will be lifted this year!

Oh Canada...

IMG_69831.jpg

IMG_69811.jpg

IMG_70061.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 11

20 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

- Wish I knew the Canadian team was made up of extremely massive beasts before I talked so much smack. 😂 Congrats to team Canada on a well deserved win.  Great bunch of guys!

- I need to train grippers.  Skin between the handles, bad sets, poor choices on what grippers to try, and just not being very strong on them yesterday almost had me bomb out.  Ended up dropping down to 135 on my final attempt, just to make sure I would get a close and some points.  34 lbs below my best 20mm block contest close.  Oh well.  Some days you have it, some days you don't. 

- A full week of rest before a contest is way too much for me.  Going back to 3 days.

- Didn't get my 200lb 2HP, but I did get 194 and change on a very humid day when everyone's numbers were down.  Was very happy with that.

- That was the best run contest I've ever competed in.  Jedd did an amazing job. 2HP flew by instead of taking 3 hours.

- Dan Fleming is a mutant.  So strong for his size.  Was a blast to watch him compete

- Big Joe Sullivan did an awesome job.  Without a mental error on his part in the medley (and if he'd learn to set a gripper), he would have taken me in the 120kg class.  He accidentally skipped the 5 dimes pinch in the medly, but got it afterward.  Dude's a beast.  Always fun to compete with him.  Once he's done a few more of these, I think he'll be competing for the overall.

- Congrats to everyone who competed.  Meeting everyone was the highlight of the day.

- Thanks to my beautiful wife.  Without her there, I wouldn't have been able to snap back mentally from the disastrous gripper performance.

Oh Canada...

IMG_69831.jpg

IMG_69811.jpg

IMG_70061.jpg

Great Job Big Mike!!

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Oh Canada...

IMG_69831.jpg

IMG_69811.jpg

IMG_70061.jpg

Great job big Mike. Nice write-up and wonderful pictures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Oh Canada...

IMG_69831.jpg

IMG_69811.jpg

IMG_70061.jpg

Congrats Mike! Nice write up. Looks like it was a great event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on a great overall performance, Mike!  Love the pic of the little smiling kiddo, too! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bencrush said:

Congrats on a great overall performance, Mike!  Love the pic of the little smiling kiddo, too! 

Thanks Ben!  He was pretty excited that Daddy won Thor's hammer.  😃

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Thanks Ben!  He was pretty excited that Daddy won Thor's hammer.  😃

Oh man I could imagine how PROUD HE WAS MAN!!!! Haha must have made it even more worth it!

8 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Oh man I could imagine how PROUD HE WAS MAN!!!! Haha must have made it even more worth it!

Best part was when he couldn't quite lift it.  I went over and picked it up and said, "don't worry buddy, only Thor can lift it."  Looked at me like wait a minute, is my dad Thor?  Haha

20180604_164108.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Best part was when he couldn't quite lift it.  I went over and picked it up and said, "don't worry buddy, only Thor can lift it."  Looked at me like wait a minute, is my dad Thor?  Haha

20180604_164108.jpg

Oh man that’s the sweetest thing ever brother Ha ha ha that actually Brought a tickle  to my nose reading That!! That will be exactly the reaction I would have with my dad when I was little!

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, bencrush said:

Are the results by events posted somewhere yet? 

Not yet Ben 

• Like 1

Jedd is planning on posting them tomorrow. They’ll be in the database by this weekend.

• Like 1

Hey there guys, sorry for the delay.  Monday's are filled with coaching client stuff and I'm working on buying a building for a gym, so today's the first day I could get to this.

Here are the results by event

Gripper    Pinch      NN           Medley    Roller    
Ace Andrade        55    73.35       100.55      11             5' 9"
Nigel Blackburn   135   160.66    235.34     32            24' 2"
Chris Andrade      95    138.76      0              29            26' 10"
Vincent Rivellese 140  182.73    270.81   32            18' 4"
Dan Fleming        150    205.75    323.52   50           56 seconds
Luke Raymond     155    208.22    348.4    55           35 seconds
Matt Lane             135    188.11    323.52   36          26' 6"
Eric Roussin         150    203.91    412.59   49          32' 1"
Rob McMurren     135    208.22    348.4     51          57 seconds
Andrew Dube        145    182.73    289.15   41          56 seconds
Mike Rinderle        135    193.38    328.64   43         30' 10"
Joe Sullivan          135    188.31    338.36    37         31' 2"
Tom Bryson          135    198.83    392.97    30         27' 5"
Chez Ricchezza   190    184.17    314.9      41         49 seconds
Justin Major         155    208.22    403.01    42        39 seconds
Nick Cargnan       120    188.31    314.9       39        57 seconds
Bernie Marcoccia 80    138.2    270.82        27        27' 2"
Gus Bush               90    184.17    338.36      32        28'4"

Full distance on the Wrist Roller was 34 feet

There were a total of 60 points possible i the Medley

Napalm's Nightmare was 2 3/8 or 60.325mm

Two separate Euros were used.  1 for 58mm, and 1 for all other widths, if I remember correctly

I need to pull the weight and age info off the other sheet, and will do so soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Hey there guys, sorry for the delay.  Monday's are filled with coaching client stuff and I'm working on buying a building for a gym, so today's the first day I could get to this.

Here are the results by event

Gripper    Pinch      NN           Medley    Roller    
Ace Andrade        55    73.35       100.55      11             5' 9"
Nigel Blackburn   135   160.66    235.34     32            24' 2"
Chris Andrade      95    138.76      0              29            26' 10"
Vincent Rivellese 140  182.73    270.81   32            18' 4"
Dan Fleming        150    205.75    323.52   50           56 seconds
Luke Raymond     155    208.22    348.4    55           35 seconds
Matt Lane             135    188.11    323.52   36          26' 6"
Eric Roussin         150    203.91    412.59   49          32' 1"
Rob McMurren     135    208.22    348.4     51          57 seconds
Andrew Dube        145    182.73    289.15   41          56 seconds
Mike Rinderle        135    193.38    328.64   43         30' 10"
Joe Sullivan          135    188.31    338.36    37         31' 2"
Tom Bryson          135    198.83    392.97    30         27' 5"
Chez Ricchezza   190    184.17    314.9      41         49 seconds
Justin Major         155    208.22    403.01    42        39 seconds
Nick Cargnan       120    188.31    314.9       39        57 seconds
Bernie Marcoccia 80    138.2    270.82        27        27' 2"
Gus Bush               90    184.17    338.36      32        28'4"

Full distance on the Wrist Roller was 34 feet

There were a total of 60 points possible i the Medley

Napalm's Nightmare was 2 3/8 or 60.325mm

Two separate Euros were used.  1 for 58mm, and 1 for all other widths, if I remember correctly

I need to pull the weight and age info off the other sheet, and will do so soon.

Thanks, Jedd!

Personal Data

BW    Class    Age
Ace Andrade        62.55    66    11
Nigel Blackburn   65.7      66    23
Chris Andrade      73.6      74    40
Vincent Rivellese  81.5     83    49    
Dan Fleming          82.5     83    27
Luke Raymond      91.9     93    33
Matt Lane             92.6      93    30
Eric Roussin          92.6     93    41
Rob McMurren     103.4   105    45
Andrew Dube        101.9   105    31
Mike Rinderle        118.4   120/50+   50/51
Joe Sullivan         118.2     120    39
Tom Bryson          133.8    120   34/35
Chez Ricchezza   129.5    120+   34
Justin Major         136.85  120     21
Nick Cargnan        127.2    120+   34
Bernie Marcoccia 94.7     50+      50+
Gus Bush               107.2   50+      69

4 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Nigel looks good for his age. ;)

"Doctors hate him. Click here to learn what this 66 year old did to look 23!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

"Doctors hate him. Click here to learn what this 66 year old did to look 23!"

Became Benjamin Button 

Edited by Chez

12 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Results have been entered into the database: http://www.gripsport.org/lists.htm

Eric, thank you.

Gripboard, if you saw the live stream video, then you already know this, but I want to state it here as well.  Eric was an incredible help to me in organizing this contest.   I was able to bounce ideas off him, he gave me his own, came up with the Masters category, the Team Competition, held me to deadlines, got the awards, coordinated communications with the Canadian Gripsters, and much much more.  In short, he was awesome.  Then, on top of everything else, this week he offered to enter the data into the database for me. 

I can't say thank-you enough, my friend.  You are appreciated, @Eric Roussin!

• Like 4

Here's @Lucasraymond's Wrist Roller from NAGS, the only video clip I took all day.  I just couldn't work video recording into the mix, and knew that afterwards, I'd be so busy with my gym, that I wouldn't be able to edit it.  Nevertheless, here you go, watch the animal run through the Wrist Roller.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Eric, thank you.

Gripboard, if you saw the live stream video, then you already know this, but I want to state it here as well.  Eric was an incredible help to me in organizing this contest.   I was able to bounce ideas off him, he gave me his own, came up with the Masters category, the Team Competition, held me to deadlines, got the awards, coordinated communications with the Canadian Gripsters, and much much more.  In short, he was awesome.  Then, on top of everything else, this week he offered to enter the data into the database for me. 

I can't say thank-you enough, my friend.  You are appreciated, @Eric Roussin!

No problem, Jedd! I’m happy to have been able to help make this event the success that it was!

• Like 3