NAGS Championship 2018 Events & Updates

Jedd Johnson

I like it. Maybe we should vote since not a lot of people are giving their opinion  

One final thought, although I am really ok with any of the propositions:  each player is scored in each event for the percentage they can do of the NAGS record for that event in their weight class (or just the world record, but then the heavier team will have a bit of an advantage).

Example:  let's say Chez closes a 200 gripper and the world record in his weight class is 200.  He got 100 percent, so he gets 100 points.  Vinnie closes a 140, and the world record in his weight class is 175.  He got 80 percent, so 80 points.  Nigel closes a 156, and the record in his weight class is 150; that's 102 percent, so he gets 102.  Their average is the team score:  282 divided by 3, or 94.  If there are a different number of people that won't matter because you are using the average, and if there are different weights, that is ok, too, because they are scoring relative to their weight class.

I made up the records of course, for the math.  But with a calculator, it would be pretty easy.

6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

One final thought, although I am really ok with any of the propositions:  each player is scored in each event for the percentage they can do of the NAGS record for that event in their weight class (or just the world record, but then the heavier team will have a bit of an advantage).

Example:  let's say Chez closes a 200 gripper and the world record in his weight class is 200.  He got 100 percent, so he gets 100 points.  Vinnie closes a 140, and the world record in his weight class is 175.  He got 80 percent, so 80 points.  Nigel closes a 156, and the record in his weight class is 150; that's 102 percent, so he gets 102.  Their average is the team score:  282 divided by 3, or 94.  If there are a different number of people that won't matter because you are using the average, and if there are different weights, that is ok, too, because they are scoring relative to their weight class.

I made up the records of course, for the math.  But with a calculator, it would be pretty easy.

This is a pretty good idea. Evens the field for the smaller competitors without using the body weight formulas (which I don't believe work in grip). Only issue is there aren't records for 3 events (NN 2 3/3, medley and wrist roller)

Edited by Chez

I like the relative simplicity and the strategic dimension of the three athletes per individual event option - max 3 events per athlete, min 1 event per athlete (with reverse strongman scoring).

• Like 1

Why don't I just compete in the 66kg class.  Problem solved.  I smell a podium finish!  Yesssssssss!

podium.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2018 at 1:23 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

Date:  June 2, 2018

Entry Fee: $50

Paypal: jedd.diesel@gmail.com

ENTRY FORM CLICK HERE

CONTEST SCHEDULE:
Pushing Everything Back 1 Hour from the Norm, due to the Canadian group driving in the morning of.
Weigh-ins - Begin 9:00 AM
Rules - 10:00 AM
Warm-ups - 10:30 AM
1st Event, Grippers Begin - 11:00 AM

IMPORTANT:  If you are not sure what width you will be using on the 2 Hands Pinch,

please decide this and your first attempt before the Gripper Event Starts at 11:00.
The devices will be out for you to text the entire morning.

Currently Planned Weight Classes & Divisions:

Men’s 66 kg
Men’s 74 kg
Men’s 83 kg
Men’s 93 kg
Men’s 105 kg
Men’s 120 kg
Men’s 120+ kg
Women’s Open
Men’s 50+ Years Open
**No qualification required for Women’s Open and Men’s 50+ Years Open divisions.

Qualified Athletes: 

First Announcement Thread: 

Qualifications for Competition: 

Events:

1.  NAGS Gripper Set - One Hand Contested - 20mm Block - 4 attempts
2.  Two Hands Pinch on Euro - 2 Implements will run at a time
3.  Napalm's Nightmare - 2 3/8" Handles - 6-inch Lift Height
4.  Medley - 12 Items in 90 seconds.
5.  Wrist Roller for Time - Distance to be determined - Approximately 30 to 40 feet.

We will announce the distance once we are able to view the venue.  I've only ever been there once - we want to get a better idea of the layout.

Event Rules:

1.  NAGS Gripper Set - One Hand Contested - 20mm Block - 4 attempts
The athlete will set the gripper with the off hand and then must pass the block through him or herself.  The athlete may switch back and forth between hands as needed to get the best close out of their 4 attempts.  At no time may the gripper be braced against the body during the set or during the close.  This will be strictly enforced.  If the lifter closes the gripper, the judge will say "Good" or "Closed."  If the lifter is unsuccessful, the judge will so "No." 

We will try to move through this quickly, possibly running two grippers and judges at a time, as was done at NAGS 2017.

2.  Two Hands Pinch on Euro - 16.5" Crossbar - 4 Attempts
2 Implements will run at a time, the same implements that have been used only at Nationals since 2014.  One will be the light implement, starting below 185lbs, and the other will be the heavy implement, starting over 185lbs.  We will begin with the lower widths first and then work our way up.  For instance, once all lifters using 48mm are finished, the width will be changed to the next higher width desired.  Please know your width prior to the contest, in order to save time.   At least one separate apparatus will be on hand for people to take warm-ups.

The athlete will grip the implement with both hands in an overhand grip.  Underhand or alternated are not permitted.  The lifter gets 4 attempts. Any effort to lift the implement off the floor is considered an attempt.  This is a Rising Bar event, so if the lifter fails on an attempt, he/she may wait 2 minutes and then repeat that weight, or have weight added, but may not drop down in weight.

3.  Napalm's Nightmare - 2 3/8" Handles - 6-inch Lift Height - 4 Attempts
A genuine Napalm's Nightmare implement will be used.  The athlete must take a double overhand grip - alternated or underhand are not permitted.  The athlete takes his/her grip and lifts, trying to make a knock-bar contact a cross-bar, 6 inches above.  Any effort to lift the device is considered an attempt, and if the implement does not reach proper height, or if the implement slips from the athlete's hands before touching the floor, the lift is disqualified.  This is a rising bar event - once weight is added, it will not be removed.  If the lifter misses a lift, he/she may repeat that weight or go up, but may not drop down.

Weight jumps will be a 10lb plate, a 10lb plate, then the 10's will be removed and replaced with a 25-lb plate, then a 10lb plate, and then the 25lb and 10lb plates will be removed and replaced with a 45-lb plate.

4.  Medley

12 Items in 90 seconds

There will be 4 weight options for each challenge category.  They are listed from most to least difficult.  Most difficult = 5 points, then 4 points, 3 points, and the least difficult will receive 2 points.

1.  Double RT Pull-up - 4 / 3 / 2 / 1

2.  Block Weights - Fatman 53# / Next Gen Blob 50# / Half 75 Next Gen / Half 70 Hex /

3.  Rolling Handles - 2.5" Crusher 190 / Mannino 165 / Old RT 140 / Old RT 115

4.  Inch Pinch - 65 / 50 / 35 / 20

5.  Sledge Choke to Box +/- 31" Handles - 10# / 8# / 6#  / 3#

6.  Anvil to Lockout - 113+20-lbs (ring)/ 113 / 67 / 55

7.  Challenge Bells - Inch Dumbbell 170 / Death Grip 154 / Shot 123 / Plate Loadable 80

8.  Plate Hub Lift - 45# + 10/ 45# / 35" / 25"

9.  Sledge Face Lever - 16 / 12 / 8 / 6 

10.  Plate Pinch - 2x45's / 2x35s / 2x25s / 3x10s

11.  Inverted Dumbbell Lift Smooth Faces Only - 60 / 50 / 35 / 20

12.  Loose Plate Pinch - 5 tens / 4 tens / 3 tens / 2 tens

Athletes can start on any feat, without their hand touching the item, and they can take tries at multiple difficulty levels within the same category, but will only receive points for their top performance in that category.  In other words, they will receive only 4 points for doing 3 RT Pullups.  If they do 3 on one try and 2 on the next, they will receive 4 points for doing 3.

1.  Double RT Pull-up:   Reasonable extension on each rep, chin above the rolling thunders on each rep, no re-gripping.  Reps must be done consecutively.

2.  Block Weights:  Loaded to a platform

3.  Rolling Handles:  Lift to Lockout with Down Call

4.  Inch Pinch:  6" pull above block

5.  Sledge Choke to Box:  Grip by end of handle, load onto box without quarter falling off

6.  Anvils:  Grip by horn, lift to lockout

7.  Challenge Bells:  Lift for speed, so tilts and bracing permitted, must lift with one hand.

8.  Plate Hub Lift:  Lift for speed, any grip required

9.  Sledge Face Lever:  Reasonable control keeping the working hand approximately

10.  Plate Pinch:  Load to platform

11.  Inverted Dumbbell Lift Smooth Faces Only:  No contact with print on dumbbell, lift to platform

12.  Loose Plate Pinch:  Load to platform

5.  Wrist Roller for Time

Distance and weight of sled to be determined upon visiting the venue - Approximately 30 to 40 feet. 60 seconds time limit

The objective will be to pull a sled towards you by winding it up a wrist roller, using a wrist extension motion.  Distance will be marked if the course is not completed, and scores awarded by distance. 

Anyone who drags it partially will earn between 51 and 75 points and anyone who drags it the full distance earns between 76 and 100 points (scaled based on speed - fastest time earns 100 points).

Two medley questions @Jedd Johnson

- On the challenge bells, what is meant by bracing?

- If you start the RT pullups before the 90 seconds is up, can you continue past the 90 second time limit?

14 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

I like the relative simplicity and the strategic dimension of the three athletes per individual event option - max 3 events per athlete, min 1 event per athlete (with reverse strongman scoring).

I'm 100% down with this method. I agree; I think simplicity is fine since the team component doesn't really have any individual implications or affect how people would choose attempts. I think the team thing is just a fun supplement to the competition but shouldn't be the "main goal."

16 hours ago, Chez said:

I like it. Maybe we should vote since not a lot of people are giving their opinion  

We certainly have a few good ideas. I say we do a vote pretty soon. Were you thinking at the actual event or on gripboard for the poll?

7 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

I'm 100% down with this method. I agree; I think simplicity is fine since the team component doesn't really have any individual implications or affect how people would choose attempts. I think the team thing is just a fun supplement to the competition but shouldn't be the "main goal."

With me, Nigel, Andrew, and Chez already indicating support for this approach, this is what we’ll go with if I don’t hear from 4+ competitors who are strongly opposed by this afternoon.

I suggest individual competitors start thinking of which event(s) they’d like to represent their country. The lists can be finalized prior to contest start on Saturday morning.

• Like 2

I vote for a Royal Rumble after the Wrist Roller.  You get tossed over the top rope you're out.  Last man standing wins it for his country.  That or a barb wire cage match.

We can do it on skates and coat the ring in maple syrup if the Canadians would like.  No way Chez is leaving anything coated in syrup!

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

No way Chez is leaving anything coated in syrup!

haha, I had waffles and syrup for breakfast this morning. People know me too well. 🤣

24 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’m down for whatever the consensus comes up with.

Me, too, except the Royal Rumble -- at 175 pounds I'm just an inch dumbbell waiting to be tossed ...

• Like 1

I'm such a dork. I just spent time at my desk making choices for our team for each event. haha. Its just a proposal based on what I know about everyone. I even dug into past comps. 

Nerd alert

54 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm such a dork. I just spent time at my desk making choices for our team for each event. haha. Its just a proposal based on what I know about everyone. I even dug into past comps. 

Nerd alert

Team Canada’s roster is already set! :)

• Like 1

Another Canadian competitor has signed up! Nick Carignan, who took second at the Canadian Grip Sport Championships this past February, will be joining us. The only uncertainty is around his weight. He’ll either be in the 120 or the 120+ class.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Another Canadian competitor has signed up! Nick Carignan, who took second at the Canadian Grip Sport Championships this past February, will be joining us. The only uncertainty is around his weight. He’ll either be in the 120 or the 120+ class.

You have too many strong friends haha. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Quite a bit of Canadian talent in this event. All of them appear to be pretty impressive!! The more the grippier!!

17 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

No uncertainty, 120+ it is, unless I shave but I'm not willing to take that drastic of a step.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chez said:

Nerd alert

If it were just the best in each category I wouldn't get on any events, but if the rule is everyone has to do at least one, what did you put me on in your fantasy assignment?  2HP?

Holy cow there's been a lot of discussion since my last update.  Very cool - I'll need to come back and read it all.

Paid Athletes:

Ace Andrade (66kg)
Nigel Blackburn (66kg)

Chris Andrade (74kg)

Vincent Rivellese (83kg)
Dan Fleming (83kg)

Luke Raymond (93kg)
Matt Lane (93kg)
Eric Roussin (93kg)

Rob McMurren (105kg)
Andrew Dube (105kg)

Mike Rinderle (120kg)
Joe Sullivan (120kg)
Nick Caringan (120 or 120+)

Tom Bryson (120+)
Chez Riccezza (120+)
Justin Major (120+)
Nick Caringan (120 or 120+)

Bernie Marcoccia - 50+ Masters
Gus Bush - 50+ Masters 
Mike Rinderle - 50+ Masters

On 5/30/2018 at 12:16 PM, Chez said:

I heard one year there was a real outlier. a mid 180s gripper some guys were teeing up on and it was a big jump from what they were closing at the time. 

Yes, but those were before our complete NAGS set that we got.  Now, there's really only one gripper that I've heard feels off.  By memory, I think it is down between 130 and 145 - but I don't remember which, and I don't think I've ever attempted any that lwo.

Reminders and Notes:

Address is 103 Stowell Place - use this on the GPS. DON'T USE MAPQUEST. Use Google Maps.

Food: Planning to get some pizzas after the 2HP. There are gas stations, diners and stores within driving distance. Not much within walking distance. I'd get drinks and snacks food the night before or morning of.  Brad tells me there is a Wegmans very close to the gym!

Check out our sponsors: http://www.dieselcrew.com/2018-north-american-grip-sport-c…/

If I missed anyone, or if anyone else would like to sponsor, please let me know, and send messages a banner for your company.

If you'd like to bring challenge items for after the comp, please do so. Good time to get footage of Gripboard Feat lists, and other online record boards.

If you have a preferred chalk, bring it. I'll have plenty, but feel free. It's just got to be magnesium. No funny stuff.

If you have your own 20mm set block, bring it, ESPECIALLY if you stick it in your mouth, you sickos! Lol. Blocks will be measured to meet the 20mm standard

If you don't know your pinch width, is on you to come early and test it out. We'll have at least one spare setup, and a highly accurate micronomer (a.k.a. calipers) to figure out what feels best and measure it.

Planning to run two Pinch setups. I have an assistant coming to help load weights. If that falls through, we may do with one, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Brad has WiFi, so I'll be trying to stream the event.

Any questions, feel free to post here, or ask me via messenger

Thanks BROTHERRRRRRZZZZ

On 5/31/2018 at 6:32 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

Two medley questions @Jedd Johnson

- On the challenge bells, what is meant by bracing?

- If you start the RT pullups before the 90 seconds is up, can you continue past the 90 second time limit?

@Jedd Johnson bump.