NAGS Championship 2018 Events & Updates

Jedd Johnson

11 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

One of two ways:

Easiest: forget weight classes, average the US players and the Canadian Haters overall finishing position.  Whichever team has the highest average placing wins.

Using weight classes: If US has 3 firsts, a second and 4 thirds; their average placing would be 2.125.

If Canada has 4 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds; their average placing would be 1.75 and they would win.

I like option 2 but what if all the guys in one class are from one country. We can do option 2 and make weight classes just for the canada-USA competition. Like the middle cut off used at gripmas that year or a light, middleweight, heavy weight class etc and figure out an evenish spread. 

whatever we do, lets stay away from body weight formulas! 😡 

Edited by Chez

8 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

One of two ways:

Easiest: forget weight classes, average the US players and the Canadian Haters overall finishing position.  Whichever team has the highest average placing wins.

Using weight classes: If US has 3 firsts, a second and 4 thirds; their average placing would be 2.125.

If Canada has 4 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds; their average placing would be 1.75 and they would win.

Thanks, Mike. Given Canada has more heavier competitors, I think the second option might be better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I like option 2 but what if all the guys in one class are from one country. We do option 2 and make weight classes just for the canada-USA competition. Like the middle cut off used at gripmas that year or a light, middleweight, heavy weight class etc and figure out an evenish spread. 

whatever we do, lets stay away from body weight formulas! 😡 

I think this idea makes the most sense. I think if we can find a uniform spread, it would be very competitive, too.

2 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

I think this idea makes the most sense. I think if we can find a uniform spread, it would be very competitive, too.

ya, I did this at a competition I held. I actually made 4 classed for that comp. Light, middle, Light Heavy and Heavy weight. I used it for prizes since we didn't have enough people in some of the NAGS classes and I didn't want someone getting a prize just for showing up. 

Edited by Chez

4 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Thanks, Mike. Given Canada has more heavier competitors, I think the second option might be better.

I think we can pool some of the heavier classes. For example both the 120kg guys are american while 2/3 of 120+ kg guys are Canadian 

If we’are just going with average finish by weight class (Mike’s second option), then I don’t think there’s a need to combine classes. Each country’s competitors are already spread out across enough classes for the calculation to work. It would only be a problem if all of one country’s competitors were only in one or two classes.

2 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

If we’are just going with average finish by weight class (Mike’s second option), then I don’t think there’s a need to combine classes. Each country’s competitors are already spread out across enough classes for the calculation to work. It would only be a problem if all of one country’s competitors were only in one or two classes.

I'm not following. What about the 120 KG class for example. There are only two guys and both are American. So, no matter what America gets a 1st and second there

same thing for 105 kg but both are Canadian

Edited by Chez

Because we’d be using average finish. Theoretically, if only one Canadian attended, and he finished first overall, he’d win the team title under both of Mike’s options. Canada’s average score would be 1. In the 120 class, if there are only two Americans, the US score would be 1.5.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I'm not following. What about the 120 KG class for example. There are only two guys and both are American. So, no matter what America gets a 1st and second there

We're the USA, we'll find a way to get two firsts.  Then we'll take over Canada.  Manifest Destiny b!+#3$

download.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Because we’d be using average finish. Theoretically, if only one Canadian attended, and he finished first overall, he’d win the team title under both of Mike’s options. Canada’s average score would be 1. In the 120 class, if there are only two Americans, the US score would be 1.5.

Ya, it makes the points in a class with only one country represented a forgone conclusion. No incentive from a team standpoint. We could do the scoring for the 120 kg and 105 kg class right now. Mike and joe could get a zero in an event and the points stay the same for the 120 kg class

and if one class only has one person from a country that would count more than the points from another class with only 2 people and both are from a opposing country

Edited by Chez

You're right about the lack of incentive in these classes. I guess combining classes would make sense from this perspective.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

You're right about the lack of incentive in these classes. I guess combining classes would make sense from this perspective.

I think it can be done well. Can we post the current competitor list with what country they are from. I don’t know some of the guys. That way we all can analyze and propose class cut offs the country comp part 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Ace Andrade (66kg) - USA
Nigel Blackburn (66kg) - USA

Chris Andrade (74kg) - USA

Vincent Rivellese (83kg) - USA
Dan Fleming (83kg) - Canada

Luke Raymond (93kg) - USA
Matt Lane (93kg) - USA
Eric Roussin (93kg) - Canada

Rob McMurren (105kg) - Canada
Andrew Dube (105kg) - Canada

Mike Rinderle (120kg) - USA
Joe Sullivan (120kg) - USA

Tom Bryson (120+) - Canada
Chez Riccezza (120+) - USA
Justin Major (120+) - Canada

Bernie Marcoccia - 50+ Masters - USA
Gus Bush - 50+ Masters - Canada
Mike Rinderle - 50+ Masters - USA

It's always possible that one or two competitors jump in at the last minute.

I wish there was one more light weight Canadian. But first thought is two classes and the split is between Andrew and Rob in  the 105 class. Heavier one moves up and lighter down so we have at least 3 Canadians on each side

Edited by Chez

There seem to be two main problems:

1. there are a few weight classes where everyone is from the same country

2. uneven numbers between the countries

I'd propose that each country pick their top three athletes before the contest starts and then compare their absolute scores at the end. I would think it would be a good idea to add that each team's athletes should be from different weight classes. 

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

I'd propose that each country pick their top three athletes before the contest starts and then compare their absolute scores at the end. I would think it would be a good idea to add that each team's athletes should be from different weight classes. 

Rather than picking the top three ahead of time, could we just take the three best scores after the fact, but keep the requirement to not count scores from more than one athlete in any given weight class?

2 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Rather than picking the top three ahead of time, could we just take the three best scores after the fact, but keep the requirement to not count scores from more than one athlete in any given weight class?

We could do anything haha. It's just an idea. I like picking beforehand because it adds some more suspense. Leaves room for the unexpected. 

Anther idea that may work is picking guys from each side for

16 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Anther idea is picking guys from each side for each event. Might make it more interesting since we all have strengths and weaknesses. 

For example. on my side, I obviously excel at crush, Joe is great at thick bar and Luke was really good at the wrist roller last time we had it at NAGS. While, Eric and I hear Justin are thick bar standouts, Dan is a beast on pinch, etc

so we can pick 3 from each side to represent their country in each event or something like that and award points per event

Edited by Chez

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Anther idea that may work is picking guys from each side for

Anther idea is picking guys from each side for each event. Might make it more interesting since we all have strengths and weaknesses. 

For example. on my side, I obviously excel at crush, Joe is great at thick bar and Luke was really good at the wrist roller last time we had it at NAGS. While, Eric and I hear Justin are thick bar standouts, Dan is a beast on pinch, etc

so we can pick 3 from each side to represent their country in each event or something like that and award points per event

I like this idea too. Five events, five different athletes... No fear of tie and more people get involved

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

I like this idea too. Five events, five different athletes... No fear of tie and more people get involved

I was thinking more like 3 from each side for each event and someone can do more than one event since you guys only have 6 (I thought you had more people until Eric posted the list). and we give points based on placing out of the 6 guys competing so first out of the those guys get 1, second gets 2 points (we do reverse strongman like king kong comp). 

Edited by Chez

I like that we are thinking of different possible ideas. Keep throwing them out and maybe we can vote to decide

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

I was thinking more like 3 from each side for each event and someone can do more than one event since you guys only have 6 (I thought you had more people until Eric posted the list). and we give points based on placing out of the 6 guys competing so first out of the those guys get 1, second gets 2 points (we do reverse strongman like king kong comp). 

I like this idea too. So there are 15 spots per team(5 events x 3 athletes). I would say you can only use an athlete max 3 times. So you have to be a bit more strategic about how you use your team resources. 

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

only use an athlete max 3 times. So you have to be a bit more strategic about how you use your team resources. 

This is a good idea. That way if someone is far ahead of everyone else in most events like say a prime Andrew Durniat you can't use them for everything. 

I like the maximum of three events per athlete.

Would it be too much to add a requirement that all competitors must take part in at least one event? This way everyone would be contributing, rather than just some.

So, reverse strongman scoring in each individual event. Best of the six competitors in an event earns 1 point, second best earns 2 points,... sixth earns 6 points.

As a tie-breaker (for overall scoring, not per event), I suggest using the countback method. So we look at which country took the most 1st places. If still a tie (i.e. due to a tie in a particular event), we look at which country took the most 2nd places.

10 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

I like the maximum of three events per athlete.

Would it be too much to add a requirement that all competitors must take part in at least one event? This way everyone would be contributing, rather than just some.

So, reverse strongman scoring in each individual event. Best of the six competitors in an event earns 1 point, second best earns 2 points,... sixth earns 6 points.

As a tie-breaker (for overall scoring, not per event), I suggest using the countback method. So we look at which country took the most 1st places. If still a tie (i.e. due to a tie in a particular event), we look at which country took the most 2nd places.

I like the way this looks. I'd vote for this. 

• Like 1