NAGS Championship 2018 Events & Updates

Jedd Johnson

Hey if there is a team looking for a member, I'm in.  Especially if Chez is on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Hey if there is a team looking for a member, I'm in.  Especially if Chez is on it.

New York gripper attorney guys gotta stick together. 

Also looking for a team. I'm a grip contest noob, but I'm pretty decent at picking things up and putting them down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Also looking for a team. I'm a grip contest noob, but I'm pretty decent at picking things up and putting them down.

You are welcomed to team up with Vinnie and I. 

Quick question though: how many Canadians and how many Americans on the sign up list? It looks pretty even if I'm not mistaken. I still like a USA v. Canada match up. It looks like it would be fairly competitive based on how we do the scoring. Obviously grippers should count the most 😁I'm not sure we have enough participants for several smaller groups. 

Edited by Chez

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

Quick question though: how many Canadians and how many Americans on the sign up list? It looks pretty even if I'm not mistaken. I still like a USA v. Canada match up. It looks like it would be fairly competitive based on how we do the scoring. Obviously grippers should count the most 😁I'm not sure we have enough participants for several smaller groups. 

The USA vs. Canada idea would actually be really fun if the numbers are relatively even.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

USA vs Canada sounds classic

Count me in!

I agree USA versus Canada would be fun. I’m intrigued by Mike’s suggestion of using the average finish score. I’ll do a bit of number crunching to see if there are any different scoring methods that could work.

• Like 3

If we go by avg. finish, doesn't matter if teams aren't even numbers wise.

• Like 1

Can you please explain exactly what you mean by average finish? This could be calculated a few different ways.

I am curious as to what gripper ratings will be available, and what model grippers they are.  The range of interest to me is 140 to 150, since less than 140 I think I can close anything and more than 150 I doubt I can close anything, but any info would be welcome!

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I am curious as to what gripper ratings will be available, and what model grippers they are.  The range of interest to me is 140 to 150, since less than 140 I think I can close anything and more than 150 I doubt I can close anything, but any info would be welcome!

I am clueless on this too Vinnie! I have only done a TNS and NS style for a very short period of time for my training . Never did a block set or any other sets . This is a concern for me. Can close my shaved down 2.5 TNS or NS. all day long and have closed a 3 but don’t know how that’s gonna equate 

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I am clueless on this too Vinnie! I have only done a TNS and NS style for a very short period of time for my training . Never did a block set or any other sets . This is a concern for me. Can close my shaved down 2.5 TNS or NS. all day long and have closed a 3 but don’t know how that’s gonna equate 

Hey Guys. We are using the NAGS set. They are all tetting and all 5 lb jumps from even numbers so 140, 145, 150, 155 etc. all rated by cannon

Years back we had random grippers all different brands and rated by different people (like most regular grip comps), so a project started to hunt down all tettings and 5 lb jumps rated by Matt to use for the NAGS championship,. 

Edited by Chez

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

I am clueless on this too Vinnie! I have only done TNS and NS style for a very short period of time. Never did a block set. This is a concern for me. Can close my shaved down 2.5 TNS or NS. all day long and have closed a 3 but don’t know how that’s gonna equate 

You're a bit ahead of me.  I can TNS a 2.5 once, but then spent unless I wait a while, and some times I close a 3 from MMS but not NS.  The block adds a difficulty because of the need to actually pass it through -- even though the set is less wide than you and I are used to, that need to divert your focus from the set and close to the passing through of the block takes something off.  So I failed on a gripper rated 142 at my first comp (Nate's in February), ending with a 138, even though I was previously and since able to MMS a 148 COC 3.  Maybe using the block is itself a part of the challenge that should be practiced -- something I thought of then but did not actually practice since then anyway.

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

You're a bit ahead of me.  I can TNS a 2.5 once, but then spent unless I wait a while, and some times I close a 3 from MMS but not NS.  The block adds a difficulty because of the need to actually pass it through -- even though the set is less wide than you and I are used to, that need to divert your focus from the set and close to the passing through of the block takes something off.  So I failed on a gripper rated 142 at my first comp (Nate's in February), ending with a 138, even though I was previously and since able to MMS a 148 COC 3.  Maybe using the block is itself a part of the challenge that should be practiced -- something I thought of then but did not actually practice since then anyway.

I don’t think I will be good on anything that isn’t a full close NS or TNS . The pre closes like on block sets ,I don’t seem to be able to generate the power. The ramping up I get on a NS and TNS seems to get me the gripper fully closed.

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Hey Guys. We are using the NAGS set. They are all tetting and all 5 lb jumps from even numbers so 140, 145, 150, 155 etc. all rated by cannon

Years back we had random grippers all different brands and rated by different people (like most regular grip comps), so a project started to hunt down all tettings and 5 lb jumps rated by Matt to use for the NAGS championship,. 

How many attempts do we get? 4 like the other lifts?? Forgive me if this is written somewhere 

How many attempts do we get? 4 like the other lifts?? Forgive me if this is written somewhere 

you get 4 attempts just like the other events

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Pretty cool, although I guess with 5 pound jumps there are likely to be more ties, but ok.

As for Tettings, I believe I've only ever done Anton's Tetting, which is CPW 139, and that was not too tough although I did not have to do a block set.  So I suppose the 140 should be good for a first close, unless I want to save that as a fallback and go for the 145 first.

Yeah, 4 attempts.

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Pretty cool, although I guess with 5 pound jumps there are likely to be more ties, but ok.

The problem back in the day was gaps. Sometimes you had like 10 lb gap which made it really unfair for someone in that range. so they decided to try and make every jump the same and did 5 lbs. It took a while to hunt down the grippers. Its pretty awesome and uniform and fair. 

Edited by Chez

Just now, Chez said:

The problem back in the day was gaps. Sometimes you had like 10 lb gap which made it really unfair for someone in that range. so they decided to try and make every jump the same and did 5 lbs. It took a while to hunt down the grippers. Its pretty awesome and uniform and fair. 

Oh definitely fair.  Just maybe more ties because not as many grippers (Nate had less gap than that I think between all of them, sometimes just one or two and never more than 5, but all different models -- I find RB and Tetting easier than GHP and COC, for example, even at same rating -- so it felt like choosing from a smorgasboard).

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

Oh definitely fair.  Just maybe more ties because not as many grippers (Nate had less gap than that I think between all of them, sometimes just one or two and never more than 5, but all different models -- I find RB and Tetting easier than GHP and COC, for example, even at same rating -- so it felt like choosing from a smorgasboard).

ya, different brands was another problem since people would avoid a certain brand that felt tougher than its rating etc. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Can you please explain exactly what you mean by average finish? This could be calculated a few different ways.

One of two ways:

Easiest: forget weight classes, average the US players and the Canadian Haters overall finishing position.  Whichever team has the highest average placing wins.

Using weight classes: If US has 3 firsts, a second and 4 thirds; their average placing would be 2.125.

If Canada has 4 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds; their average placing would be 1.75 and they would win.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

ya, different brands was another problem since people would avoid a certain brand that felt tougher than its rating etc. 

Yes.  There always seemed to be at least 1 gripper that was easier than it rated too.  I loved that gripper.  😉

Just now, Mike Rinderle said:

Yes.  There always seemed to be at least 1 gripper that was easier than it rated too.  I loved that gripper.  😉

I heard one year there was a real outlier. a mid 180s gripper some guys were teeing up on and it was a big jump from what they were closing at the time. 

• Like 1