NAGS Championship 2018 Events & Updates

Jedd Johnson

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I predict that Chezz smashes a really big gripper. It is written!

I'm want revenge on the 195 since I missed that same rating at Nate's comp in February by 1/8" with a 20mm block set on my third attempt. Much stronger now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I'm want revenge on the 195 since I missed that same rating at Nate's comp in February by 1/8" with a 20mm block set on my third attempt. Much stronger now!

I haven’t really done grippers in a while. Tried them today and man have I regressed. All the thick bar I’ve been doing. Stuff I usually slam like it’s my job would not close!!! Oh well... can’t have it all I guess.

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

I haven’t really done grippers in a while. Tried them today and man have I regressed. All the thick bar I’ve been doing. Stuff I usually slam like it’s my job would not close!!! Oh well... can’t have it all I guess.

ya, I got the opposite problem. I have focused on grippers so much because I really want the MM7 and 8, that my thick bar has gotten weaker. Thick bar and grippers are so hard to balance. 

Just now, Chez said:

ya, I got the opposite problem. I have focused on grippers so much because I really want the MM7 and 8, that my thick bar has gotten weaker. Thick bar and grippers are so hard to balance. 

Grippers seem to have zero carryover into anything but grippers! One would think the opposite right? You would think it would toast everything else. I don’t get it.

Tried grippers seriously this past week for the first time in years.  Let's say, I'm not closing anything in the 170s anymore.  HAHAHA

Hoping to at least close a number 3 with a block, but who knows?  Last time I did block set grippers in a contest (~5 year ago), I got 169.8 with a 25mm block.  I wasn't training grip at all then, but I was pulling 600 lbs at the time and deadlifting twice a week keeps your gripper strength pretty level.  I'm certainly not pulling anywhere near that now.  150 would be really nice.

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Tried grippers seriously this past week for the first time in years.  Let's say, I'm not closing anything in the 170s anymore.  HAHAHA

Hoping to at least close a number 3 with a block, but who knows?  Last time I did block set grippers in a contest (~5 year ago), I got 169.8 with a 25mm block.  I wasn't training grip at all then, but I was pulling 600 lbs at the time and deadlifting twice a week keeps your gripper strength pretty level.  I'm certainly not pulling anywhere near that now.  150 would be really nice.

Now is that deadlifts with a standard bar double overhand? I will have to try that method. I’ve never done a block set. Will be happy with whatever I get. Hoping for a 3 though 

28 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Now is that deadlifts with a standard bar double overhand? I will have to try that method. I’ve never done a block set. Will be happy with whatever I get. Hoping for a 3 though 

Standard bar.  Mixed grip.  Deadlifts basically train the final part of the close.

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Standard bar.  Mixed grip.  Deadlifts basically train the final part of the close.

I heard this from Andrew Durniat also. He said double overhand non hook grip helped his grippers and andrew is one of the few who was great at both grippers and thickbar

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Grippers seem to have zero carryover into anything but grippers! One would think the opposite right? You would think it would toast everything else. I don’t get it.

eh. All I know is that when I make a fist, there's a ton of pressure. I can actually feel how strong my crush is from just making a fist. And I train everything also (pinch, thickbar, wrist etc.) and do pretty good at comps. You have to try and balance it all as well as you can. Its hard to be the top in everything. Some guys Like Durniat, Jedd, Adam pull it off well. 

Edited by Chez

16 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Tomorrow, Eric Roussin and I will be doing a special episode of This Week in Grip, where we will be discussing what's to come at the NAGS Championship.

What predictions do you have regarding the contest?

Who do you think will win the Team Title?

Post here and we will discuss your thoughts!

@Anyonecanhappen - $5 for spectators, unless you volunteer to assist with the comp, by helping load and change weights, score, etc.

Team Title: I have no idea what the teams are or who is on what team, so I'm not 100% sure about that. 

Predictions/thoughts:

There are some super strong people in this contest. Particularly, I'm interested to see the 93kg and ,120kg, 120+kg classes battle it out. I think those weight classes will be extremely competitive.

Also, this is the first time the Napalm Nightmare will be contested with the 60mm handles (feel free to fact check that). With that being said, I want to see someone break the 400-lbs barrier on the 60mm handle; that would be some crazy stuff.

Lastly, I want to see what crazy number Chez crushes on grippers (no pressure, dude 😁)

Edited by Nigel Blackburn

3 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Lastly, I want to see what crazy number Chez crushes on grippers (no pressure, dude 😁)

haha. Pun intended. I hope I have a good day. I'm taking a full 2 weeks rest from grippers for this so I should be super fresh. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You have nothing to worry about.  Here's where I am now.  Third rep never touches, but I got a decent hold a few mm away.

The sad state of Rindo's Gripper Ability

I would guess this rates 150 - 153, but it's been awhile so I may not be as good a judge of ratings as I used to be.  It's a new one I've only closed twice before when messing around cold.  I'll take it for not training grippers in years.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Team Title: I have no idea what the teams are or who is on what team, so I'm not 100% sure about that. 

Predictions/thoughts:

There are some super strong people in this contest. Particularly, I'm interested to see the 93kg and ,120kg, 120+kg classes battle it out. I think those weight classes will be extremely competitive.

Also, this is the first time the Napalm Nightmare will be contested with the 60mm handles (feel free to fact check that). With that being said, I want to see someone break the 400-lbs barrier on the 60mm handle; that would be some crazy stuff.

Eric Roussin and Tom Bryson will be great candidates for the 400 club Nigel.

13 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

You have nothing to worry about.  Here's where I am now.  Third rep never touches, but I got a decent hold a few mm away.

The sad state of Rindo's Gripper Ability

I would guess this rates 150 - 153, but it's been awhile so I may not be as good a judge of ratings as I used to be.  It's a new one I've only closed twice before when messing around cold.  I'll take it for not training grippers in years.

That’s STRONG WORK for not doing them 

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s STRONG WORK for not doing them 

Thanks.  I've been hitting pinch and thick bar like crazy, with some DO deads on a Rogue Ohio DL bar mixed in.

What are the teams?  U.S. vs. Canada?

3 hours ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Don't' count out the action at 105! I plan to give @Rob McMurren a fight that will make him contemplate leaving me south of the border.

• Like 4

On 5/12/2018 at 11:14 PM, Eric Roussin said:

For added fun there will be a team competition at this year's NAGS Championship. Teams of up to 5 members can register for free (at the event) and earn points towards a "Top Team" award. "Team" will be loosely defined, but should at least be comprised of people who have trained together and/or are from the same general area. Points will be earned based on placing in the contest. A first place finish in a weight class will earn 5 points for the team, a second place finish will earn 4 points, 3rd place will earn 3 points, 4th will earn 2, and 5th will earn 1.

Still on the fence about attending? Listen to Jedd motivate you here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncEsoxZj58c&t=60m9s

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

What are the teams?  U.S. vs. Canada?

I hope there isnt a surprise hockey match as the 6th event because I can’t skate 

Edited by Chez
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chez said:

I hope there isnt a surprise hockey match as the 6th event because I can’t skate 

Your on my team Chez.  I got ya covered. 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

Don't' count out the action at 105! I plan to give @Rob McMurren a fight that will make him contemplate leaving me south of the border.

💩 just got real...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

I may just drink all day and make you drive me home

7 hours ago, Chez said:

We should do grippers on skates, give everyone a chance against you

• Like 2
  • Haha 3