NAGS Championship 2018 Events & Updates

Jedd Johnson

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I wanna do both.

Yeah as long as it's one fee I'd do both as well, of course, but if I had to choose I'd choose 83kg.  And my weight class is no joke (Dan Fleming), but I can at least compete with MOST guys my size.  I don't think we have lost that much strength yet at 50, so a little guy is probably gonna do better choosing a low weight class with a star or two he knows he won't beat than choosing an all-weight masters pitting him against a bunch of guys who have 100 pounds on him.  If he has to choose.

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah as long as it's one fee I'd do both as well, of course, but if I had to choose I'd choose 83kg.  And my weight class is no joke (Dan Fleming), but I can at least compete with MOST guys my size.  I don't think we have lost that much strength yet at 50, so a little guy is probably gonna do better choosing a low weight class with a star or two he knows he won't beat than choosing an all-weight masters pitting him against a bunch of guys who have 100 pounds on him.  If he has to choose.

Personally I don't like any classes.  But I just can't pass up the chance at the $10k top prize for winning the Masters.  😁

Yea, if it's an either or, I would always go Open.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Personally I don't like any classes.

ya, bigger guys like us generally don't care about classes since we are already in the biggest class so it makes no differenec haha

Edited by Chez
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

ya, bigger guys like us generally don't care about classes since we are already in the biggest class so it makes no differenec haha

Speak for yourself chunky.  I'm competing in the 93kg class at NAGS.  😃

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'm moving up to the fat class then if you're coming down!!

• Haha 1

Paid Athletes:

Ace Andrade (66kg)
Nigel Blackburn (66kg)

Chris Andrade (74kg)

Luke Raymond (93kg)
Matt Lane (93kg)
Eric Roussin (93kg)

Rob McMurren (105kg)

Tom Bryson (120+)
Chez Riccezza (120+)
Justin Major (120+)

Bernie Marcoccia - 50+ Masters
Gus Bush - 50+ Masters

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

5 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Come to the fun side.  Honey Buns and Reese's Cups are your friends!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chez said:

Hercoleez Hercoleez!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I wanna do both.

All you guys can come down to the 93K class - but can you get into the 70+ Masters class?  :)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, climber511 said:

All you guys can come down to the 93K class

In addition to dieting, I would have to chop a leg off to make that class. 

Edited by Chez
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

Just one leg?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, climber511 said:

All you guys can come down to the 93K class - but can you get into the 70+ Masters class?  :)

Odds are against me.  In fact, the odds are pretty good you'll outlive me buddy. Already passed the average age of male death in my family. The oldest was my dad who lived about as healthy a life as possible.  He died at 65, so I'm guessing no chance on 70.  Of the four others I know of on my dad's side: uncle 37, uncle 48, grandpa 53, great grandpa 46. 

I always figure there's a reasonably good  chance I won't live through the week, which has allowed me to pretty much live the last 10 years from a position of FU.  Having zero @#$%s to give about what other people think about you is pretty liberating.  On the down side, one of these mornings I'm going to wake up and my elbows are going to be bumping pine while you guys are still gripping.  Lol

Can't fight genetics.

The position of FU - adult language

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

You are a good example (not the only one just a good one) of a guy in the 120+ class who is there for reasons other than fat.  Your height and frame allow it.  I could enjoy my food too much for a year (or two) and get into that weight class, too, but I doubt it would improve my performance.  I'm pretty sure I could reach my max strength in the 83kg class, MAYBE even in 74, since I do have some extra chunk around the middle.  And I bet that at my ideal weight and in my best shape, I could do pro rata what you can do at your best -- let's say a 350 deadlift at body weight 175, versus your 550 deadlift at bodyweight 275, which would be proportionally the same.  But if I add that 100 pounds to the weight, I will not be adding much if anything to the deadlift.  Just not built for it.  That's why little guys like weight classes.  I can dream about a weight class record if I train hard and find the events I can do best.  But I can't realistically chase a world record in competition with a guy who has 100 pounds on me.  It's fair that the bigger guy can get the glory of the actual record, but cool to have weight class competition so the rest of us can play a similar game.  I don't think it detracts from the glory, and there is nothing stopping a guy in a lower class from pushing for a world record either -- look at McCarter's hub.

Anyway, it is fun following the record chasers and doing my best also, records or not.  Cheers guys.

6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

You are a good example (not the only one just a good one) of a guy in the 120+ class who is there for reasons other than fat.  Your height and frame allow it.  I could enjoy my food too much for a year (or two) and get into that weight class, too, but I doubt it would improve my performance.  I'm pretty sure I could reach my max strength in the 83kg class, MAYBE even in 74, since I do have some extra chunk around the middle.  And I bet that at my ideal weight and in my best shape, I could do pro rata what you can do at your best -- let's say a 350 deadlift at body weight 175, versus your 550 deadlift at bodyweight 275, which would be proportionally the same.  But if I add that 100 pounds to the weight, I will not be adding much if anything to the deadlift.  Just not built for it.  That's why little guys like weight classes.  I can dream about a weight class record if I train hard and find the events I can do best.  But I can't realistically chase a world record in competition with a guy who has 100 pounds on me.  It's fair that the bigger guy can get the glory of the actual record, but cool to have weight class competition so the rest of us can play a similar game.  I don't think it detracts from the glory, and there is nothing stopping a guy in a lower class from pushing for a world record either -- look at McCarter's hub.

Anyway, it is fun following the record chasers and doing my best also, records or not.  Cheers guys.

definitely. As I always say, its not just about the number on the scale. We all have different frames. In high school when I was a boy (late bloomer) I was rail thin at 185 lbs before I ever started lifting. I knew I was going to well north of 200 once I get into it training. we are all different and carry our weight different. I'm not body builder but I like to think I'm not a slob either. I like food and I drink though and I'm not willing to give that up lol. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Odds are against me.  In fact, the odds are pretty good you'll outlive me buddy. Already passed the average age of male death in my family. The oldest was my dad who lived about as healthy a life as possible.  He died at 65, so I'm guessing no chance on 70.  Of the four others I know of on my dad's side: uncle 37, uncle 48, grandpa 53, great grandpa 46. 

I always figure there's a reasonably good  chance I won't live through the week, which has allowed me to pretty much live the last 10 years from a position of FU.  Having zero @#$%s to give about what other people think about you is pretty liberating.  On the down side, one of these mornings I'm going to wake up and my elbows are going to be bumping pine while you guys are still gripping.  Lol

Can't fight genetics.

Hey man, I had cancer at 10, radiation, chemo, the works.  It's actually why I'm small.  Yet here I am at 49 closing a number 3 gripper.  There were some young deaths in my family, too, but also some longevity.  I don't know what your health issues are, and I could probably use some more of the FU attitude myself, but you could always look at the early deaths in your family as just an indicator that you are the one who will live longer and thus bring your family's average longevity up to a more typical average.  Maybe not all by yourself though - you'd have to make about 200 for that.  Way too young all of them.  Sorry.

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Can't fight genetics.

My dad died at 48 - mom at 78.  I don't dwell on when I might check out.  I do my best to eat fairly well - do strength and endurance workouts - watch my weight - see a doctor for regular checkups etc.  But I always remember the saying in my yearbook - Chris Rice "Most likely to be dead by 25".  

• Like 1

You guys misunderstood.  I don't look at it as a bad thing or dwell on it.  Is what it is.  Liberating really.  Every day is a bonus day.  Heck, I have a 2 year old.  Obviously not too worried about it. Lol Just a realist.

Anyway, back to the contest discussion. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

You guys misunderstood.  I don't look at it as a bad thing or dwell on it.  Is what it is.  Liberating really.  Every day is a bonus day.  Heck, I have a 2 year old.  Obviously not too worried about it. Lol Just a realist.

Anyway, back to the contest discussion. 

Everyone.... none of us,  no matter how healthy or unhealthy we are will know  the day nor the hour of our death. Only God almighty knows and every minute we are given is a blessing. It’s all in His hands. Thank God.

now back to contest discussion. 😀

Can I enter at 93kg class?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, JStepien said:

Can I enter at 93kg class?

Your left arm can.  Not your right

• Haha 1

Payments sent for 105KG and Masters. 

Paid Athletes:

Ace Andrade (66kg)
Nigel Blackburn (66kg)