NAGS Championship 2018 Events & Updates

Jedd Johnson

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

Hey Jedd, I thought of one more question. What is the handle length for the sledges in the medley. Just wondering because I know Chris used sledges with a slightly short handle length at gripmas because it was the length slim used.  

I will get the measurement for each sledge posted - above I just estimated +/- 31 inches.  By memory, the handle on the 16 and 12 are 31, the 8 & 6 is 30, and 3 is 28.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I will get the measurement for each sledge posted - above I just estimated +/- 31 inches.  By memory, the handle on the 16 and 12 are 31, the 8 & 6 is 30, and 3 is 28.

Thanks man.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Thanks man.

My pleasure

We got video of the room and I did a little verbal explanation of how the Wrist Roller event will take place.

I should be able to get the frame for the Wrist Roller tonight.  Once it's built, we will go up to the gym again to test it out and find the appropriate weight so it is very challenging.

We will get video of that and post it as well.

Also, I plan on shooting a video of how I have always trained for this event, which is really easy to set up and works well, especially for those with no space to train.

Here's the video of the turf room at Titan Strength.

• Like 4

Paid Athletes:

Nigel Blackburn (66kg)

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Not sure where you've been, but I am not competing this year, so accusation well noted.

Like I said, transparency is just common courtesy for promoters of fair competitions, so changes to format that has been carried out for several years deserve an explanation. If we test both hands in Nationals to keep people from hiding weak hands, which has been the standard defense of two handed lifts for years, why only test one hand for grippers? It's only fair to all of the competitors. I certainly know that eyebrows would have been raised, and questions asked, if I had changed the pinch event to a 4x4" Saxon Bar when I hosted Nationals, whether or not I decided to compete, so I have the same high expectations for other promoters.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 11:35 AM, Squeezus said:

Like I said, transparency is just common courtesy for promoters of fair competitions, so changes to format that has been carried out for several years deserve an explanation. If we test both hands in Nationals to keep people from hiding weak hands, which has been the standard defense of two handed lifts for years, why only test one hand for grippers? It's only fair to all of the competitors. I certainly know that eyebrows would have been raised, and questions asked, if I had changed the pinch event to a 4x4" Saxon Bar when I hosted Nationals, whether or not I decided to compete, so I have the same high expectations for other promoters.

Happy to give an explanation, on the process used for the changes made this year. 

Several weeks back, I made a post here asking people who were planning to come to NAGS to message/email me.

I had several people contact me - maybe 12 or so?

For the people that messaged me, I shot and sent a video and asked them about things I was thinking about for this year's NAGS Championship, and asked for feedback.

Based on that feedback, I made changes.  Believe it or not, most people didn't care too much about 1 hand or 2 hands on grippers.  By far, the majority wanted to see the Axle go, and we even had a vote on the size of the handles for the NN.

All the changes I made were based on feedback from participants, and since I wasn't planning on competing, I didn't think it would be too big of a problem to use this method, rather than putting up a poll or a discussion, because I only wanted people who were coming to weigh in.

To be honest, I do think the changes this year will work well to trim some time off the competition, which will be nice, since I'm holding it an hour or more from where I live.

I hope this clears things up about the process I used.

• Like 4

A couple other announcements - @Lucasraymond brought up a good point that instead of using the 185lb divider line on the 2 Euro set-ups, it's probably going to make much more sense to run the smaller widths on one implement, and the bigger widths on the other, in the interest of time savings.

Also, I got the measurements for the handles, as per @Chez's question. 

Also, if anybody's got a 10lb sledge they can bring with a similar length handle, that would be awesome.  I coulda sworn I had one, but I can't find it anywhere.  Might have lent it out.

On 3/24/2018 at 1:59 AM, Tommy J. said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4572208

Dude.  Very funny brother!

On 3/30/2018 at 7:07 PM, Tank Andrade said:

@Jedd Johnson I got your 10lb sledge covered

Thanks buddy!

As promised, here is how I would suggest training the Wrist Roller in your own gym, without having to set up the roller, a rope, and a dragging sled.  Also, if you just plain don't have that equipment or the space to do all that, NO WORRIES, because this will let you do it for real, no problem.  Also, thanks to Brent Barbe, who is the first person to ever introduce me to this method of training.

Paid Athletes:

Nigel Blackburn (66kg)

Tom Bryson

I also pinned this thread so it doesn't get buried, and unpinned some of the old out-dated ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Paid Athletes:

Ace Andrade

Nigel Blackburn (66kg)

Chris Andrade (74kg)

Rob McMurren (105kg)

Tom Bryson (120+)

Bernie Marcoccia - 50+ Masters

Gus Bush - 50+ Masters

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For added fun there will be a team competition at this year's NAGS Championship. Teams of up to 5 members can register for free (at the event) and earn points towards a "Top Team" award. "Team" will be loosely defined, but should at least be comprised of people who have trained together and/or are from the same general area. Points will be earned based on placing in the contest. A first place finish in a weight class will earn 5 points for the team, a second place finish will earn 4 points, 3rd place will earn 3 points, 4th will earn 2, and 5th will earn 1.

Still on the fence about attending? Listen to Jedd motivate you here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncEsoxZj58c&t=60m9s

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tank Andrade said:

@Chez tri state thugs ? Lol

I think we should do alright in Grippers😜

@Anton.Torrella @Vinnie

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chez said:

I think we should do alright in Grippers😜

@Anton.Torrella @Vinnie

NYC Crushers?  Gotham Grip Gurus?  Tri-State Triceps?  Metro Mash Monsters? 

• Like 2

Paid Athletes:

Ace Andrade (66kg)
Nigel Blackburn (66kg)

Chris Andrade (74kg)

Luke Raymond (93kg)
Matt Lane (93kg)
Eric Roussin (93kg)

Rob McMurren (105kg)

Tom Bryson (120+)
Chez Riccezza (120+)

Bernie Marcoccia - 50+ Masters
Gus Bush - 50+ Masters

• Like 1

For us geezers that are over 50, do we need to pay twice to compete in the open and the 50+?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

For us geezers that are over 50, do we need to pay twice to compete in the open and the 50+?

I just turned 49 so I have to stay in my weight class (83kg), but if you're over 50 I think I would rather take my chances with the young'n's anyway, even next year when I have the choice ...

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I just turned 49 so I have to stay in my weight class (83kg), but if you're over 50 I think I would rather take my chances with the young'n's anyway, even next year when I have the choice ...

I wanna do both.