NAGS Championship 2018 Events & Updates

Jedd Johnson

Date:  June 2, 2018

Entry Fee: $50

Paypal: jedd.diesel@gmail.com

ENTRY FORM CLICK HERE

CONTEST SCHEDULE:
Pushing Everything Back 1 Hour from the Norm, due to the Canadian group driving in the morning of.
Weigh-ins - Begin 9:00 AM
Rules - 10:00 AM
Warm-ups - 10:30 AM
1st Event, Grippers Begin - 11:00 AM

IMPORTANT:  If you are not sure what width you will be using on the 2 Hands Pinch,

please decide this and your first attempt before the Gripper Event Starts at 11:00.
The devices will be out for you to text the entire morning.

Currently Planned Weight Classes & Divisions:

Men’s 66 kg
Men’s 74 kg
Men’s 83 kg
Men’s 93 kg
Men’s 105 kg
Men’s 120 kg
Men’s 120+ kg
Women’s Open
Men’s 50+ Years Open
**No qualification required for Women’s Open and Men’s 50+ Years Open divisions.

Qualified Athletes: 

First Announcement Thread: 

Qualifications for Competition: 

Events:

1.  NAGS Gripper Set - One Hand Contested - 20mm Block - 4 attempts
2.  Two Hands Pinch on Euro - 2 Implements will run at a time
3.  Napalm's Nightmare - 2 3/8" Handles - 6-inch Lift Height
4.  Medley - 12 Items in 90 seconds.
5.  Wrist Roller for Time - Distance to be determined - Approximately 30 to 40 feet.

We will announce the distance once we are able to view the venue.  I've only ever been there once - we want to get a better idea of the layout.

Event Rules:

1.  NAGS Gripper Set - One Hand Contested - 20mm Block - 4 attempts
The athlete will set the gripper with the off hand and then must pass the block through him or herself.  The athlete may switch back and forth between hands as needed to get the best close out of their 4 attempts.  At no time may the gripper be braced against the body during the set or during the close.  This will be strictly enforced.  If the lifter closes the gripper, the judge will say "Good" or "Closed."  If the lifter is unsuccessful, the judge will so "No." 

We will try to move through this quickly, possibly running two grippers and judges at a time, as was done at NAGS 2017.

2.  Two Hands Pinch on Euro - 16.5" Crossbar - 4 Attempts
2 Implements will run at a time, the same implements that have been used only at Nationals since 2014.  One will be the light implement, starting below 185lbs, and the other will be the heavy implement, starting over 185lbs.  We will begin with the lower widths first and then work our way up.  For instance, once all lifters using 48mm are finished, the width will be changed to the next higher width desired.  Please know your width prior to the contest, in order to save time.   At least one separate apparatus will be on hand for people to take warm-ups.

The athlete will grip the implement with both hands in an overhand grip.  Underhand or alternated are not permitted.  The lifter gets 4 attempts. Any effort to lift the implement off the floor is considered an attempt.  This is a Rising Bar event, so if the lifter fails on an attempt, he/she may wait 2 minutes and then repeat that weight, or have weight added, but may not drop down in weight.

3.  Napalm's Nightmare - 2 3/8" Handles - 6-inch Lift Height - 4 Attempts
A genuine Napalm's Nightmare implement will be used.  The athlete must take a double overhand grip - alternated or underhand are not permitted.  The athlete takes his/her grip and lifts, trying to make a knock-bar contact a cross-bar, 6 inches above.  Any effort to lift the device is considered an attempt, and if the implement does not reach proper height, or if the implement slips from the athlete's hands before touching the floor, the lift is disqualified.  This is a rising bar event - once weight is added, it will not be removed.  If the lifter misses a lift, he/she may repeat that weight or go up, but may not drop down.

Weight jumps will be a 10lb plate, a 10lb plate, then the 10's will be removed and replaced with a 25-lb plate, then a 10lb plate, and then the 25lb and 10lb plates will be removed and replaced with a 45-lb plate.

4.  Medley

12 Items in 90 seconds

There will be 4 weight options for each challenge category.  They are listed from most to least difficult.  Most difficult = 5 points, then 4 points, 3 points, and the least difficult will receive 2 points.

1.  Double RT Pull-up - 4 / 3 / 2 / 1

2.  Block Weights - Fatman 53# / Next Gen Blob 50# / Half 75 Next Gen / Half 70 Hex /

3.  Rolling Handles - 2.5" Crusher 190 / Mannino 165 / Old RT 140 / Old RT 115

4.  Inch Pinch - 65 / 50 / 35 / 20

5.  Sledge Choke to Box +/- 31" Handles - 10# / 8# / 6#  / 3#

6.  Anvil to Lockout - 113+20-lbs (ring)/ 113 / 67 / 55

7.  Challenge Bells - Inch Dumbbell 170 / Death Grip 154 / Shot 123 / Plate Loadable 80

8.  Plate Hub Lift - 45# + 10/ 45# / 35" / 25"

9.  Sledge Face Lever - 16 / 12 / 8 / 6 

10.  Plate Pinch - 2x45's / 2x35s / 2x25s / 3x10s

11.  Inverted Dumbbell Lift Smooth Faces Only - 60 / 50 / 35 / 20

12.  Loose Plate Pinch - 5 tens / 4 tens / 3 tens / 2 tens

Athletes can start on any feat, without their hand touching the item, and they can take tries at multiple difficulty levels within the same category, but will only receive points for their top performance in that category.  In other words, they will receive only 4 points for doing 3 RT Pullups.  If they do 3 on one try and 2 on the next, they will receive 4 points for doing 3.

1.  Double RT Pull-up:   Reasonable extension on each rep, chin above the rolling thunders on each rep, no re-gripping.  Reps must be done consecutively.

2.  Block Weights:  Loaded to a platform

3.  Rolling Handles:  Lift to Lockout with Down Call

4.  Inch Pinch:  6" pull above block

5.  Sledge Choke to Box:  Grip by end of handle, load onto box without quarter falling off

6.  Anvils:  Grip by horn, lift to lockout

7.  Challenge Bells:  Lift for speed, so tilts and bracing permitted, must lift with one hand.

8.  Plate Hub Lift:  Lift for speed, any grip required

9.  Sledge Face Lever:  Reasonable control keeping the working hand approximately

10.  Plate Pinch:  Load to platform

11.  Inverted Dumbbell Lift Smooth Faces Only:  No contact with print on dumbbell, lift to platform

12.  Loose Plate Pinch:  Load to platform

5.  Wrist Roller for Time

Distance and weight of sled to be determined upon visiting the venue - Approximately 30 to 40 feet. 60 seconds time limit

The objective will be to pull a sled towards you by winding it up a wrist roller, using a wrist extension motion.  Distance will be marked if the course is not completed, and scores awarded by distance. 

Anyone who drags it partially will earn between 51 and 75 points and anyone who drags it the full distance earns between 76 and 100 points (scaled based on speed - fastest time earns 100 points).

• Like 3

Luke and I are going to Titan Strength tonight, to finalize details on the wrist rolller event, based on the layout of the gym and space available.

2 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Do you know the diameter of the wrist rolling device yet?

2" roughly.  Not the big thick one that we used here at my place in 2010.  More like the one that has been used at your place 2011 and Andrews gym the other years.

Hey Jedd. Thanks for posting this information. Just one question about an item in the medley. 

Mannino 165 - I have never heard of this before. Do you any details about diameter and/or a picture. 

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Hey Jedd. Thanks for posting this information. Just one question about an item in the medley. 

Mannino 165 - I have never heard of this before. Do you any details about diameter and/or a picture. 

Yes sir.  Good question.  It's just another rolling handle that I've had forever.  I can shoot a video.  It's very heavy and I believe it is chromed.  Nothing of concern or anything, just trying to utilize as much of my actual equipment as possible versus asking people to bring stuff and to borrow stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Yes sir.  Good question.  It's just another rolling handle that I've had forever.  I can shoot a video.  It's very heavy and I believe it is chromed.  Nothing of concern or anything, just trying to utilize as much of my actual equipment as possible versus asking people to bring stuff and to borrow stuff.

Thanks buddy. Is the weight you pull on it comparable to either the RT or Crusher 

16 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

2" roughly.  Not the big thick one that we used here at my place in 2010.  More like the one that has been used at your place 2011 and Andrews gym the other years.

Thanks, also I'm not Chris this is Mike. I'm planning to be in 66k, does this mean I'm just competing with myself?

• Like 2

Just now, Climber028 said:

Thanks, also I'm not Chris this is Mike. I'm planning to be in 66k, does this mean I'm just competing with myself?

I was planning on 66kg, too.

• Like 2

Just now, Nigel Blackburn said:

I was planning on 66kg, too.

It's on

• Like 3

Just now, Climber028 said:

It's on

Looking forward to it, man!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

2" is what I was planning

Edited by Lucasraymond
error

Wrist Roller with 300lbs...hope that is ok for everyone. HAHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh)

evil.jpg

Edited by Lucasraymond

2 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Wrist Roller with 300lbs...hope that is ok for everyone. HAHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh)

evil.jpg

Never tried it before so have no idea what to expect. Any ideas on how to train it? 

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Never tried it before so have no idea what to expect. Any ideas on how to train it? 

Get a regular wrist roller....Jedd has an infinite wrist roller that he uses....he could probably post a video and could make one with PVC really easy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Thanks buddy. Is the weight you pull on it comparable to either the RT or Crusher 

More like Crusher

4 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Get a regular wrist roller....Jedd has an infinite wrist roller that he uses....he could probably post a video and could make one with PVC really easy

I have one made of pvc.... so just attach weight on the rope and rolls it while it is on the ground? I will try that

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

I'm sorry about that Mike.  No sir, you will not be alone.  Young Nigel Blackburn from Florida will be coming as well.

8 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I have one made of pvc.... so just attach weight on the rope and rolls it while it is on the ground? I will try that

I know I have about 3 of them on TGA ;)

But yes, I have plans of posting how to make a Brent Barbe Endless Wrist Roller.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

2" is what I was planning

I just wasn't sure if it would be exactly 2" or 1.9"

9 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I just wasn't sure if it would be exactly 2" or 1.9"

when it comes to wrist roller 1.93 vs 2 there isn't much of a difference, if any

Edited by Lucasraymond

Is there any reason in particular that you are eschewing the "no hiding weak hands" notion for grippers and switching it to one hand? It can't be for time, since grippers are arguably the fastest event, certainly faster than Euro (which is still two hands for some reason). It would make much more sense if you had changed the entire competition to be 1-hand events. I certainly am not making any accusations, but I would feel the need to offer an explanation if I removed my absolute weakest event from a National competition that I am promoting and competing in.

Hey Jedd, I thought of one more question. What is the handle length for the sledges in the medley. Just wondering because I know Chris used sledges with a slightly short handle length at gripmas because it was the length slim used.  

1 hour ago, Squeezus said:

Is there any reason in particular that you are eschewing the "no hiding weak hands" notion for grippers and switching it to one hand? It can't be for time, since grippers are arguably the fastest event, certainly faster than Euro (which is still two hands for some reason). It would make much more sense if you had changed the entire competition to be 1-hand events. I certainly am not making any accusations, but I would feel the need to offer an explanation if I removed my absolute weakest event from a National competition that I am promoting and competing in.

Not sure where you've been, but I am not competing this year, so accusation well noted.

• Confused 1