Cramping

KapMan

Can anyone suggest a way to prevent or rather relieve cramping? It seems be getting more frequent despite my efforts in prehab/rehab 

7 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Also try not to forget to breath or grunt on a big hit.. that was another thing i had to force myself to remember on hard bends. Almost as soon as i made an effort to remember that i saw pr’s on nearly every session. So that could have been more what helped with cramping than the yogurt?..

What about stiffness? 

For me cramps seem to be imbalances in potassium - magnesium - sodium - calcium etc.  I just hit the Gatorade for a few days and they quit happening. 

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

For me cramps seem to be imbalances in potassium - magnesium - sodium - calcium etc.  I just hit the Gatorade for a few days and they quit happening. 

Could be a combination of mineral imbalance but also dehydration. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

Could be a combination of mineral imbalance but also dehydration. 

7 hours ago, climber511 said:

Ill grab some. 

I take LYTEshow which replaces eloctrolytes without any of the other additives that "sports drinks" have in them.

I also take an extra mineral supplement.

My wife, who has a hard time taking pills will get cramps in her calves. I put a dissoluble mineral pill under her tongue which helps it to get into the blood stream faster and that is he only thing I have found that will work with her.

20 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Cramps and stiffness where?

Stiffnessin both hands. But my right hand cramps. Thumb pad and the pinkie side muscle.

I always made sure I ate a banana or two for potassium and drank a V8 for sodium every day.  That seemed to do the trick.

What I could never get rid of, when I was bending heavy every day for a couple years, was my hands falling asleep at night.  Every freaking night, my hands would go numb.  I stopped bending and it went away after a month or so.

The other nighttime side effect I had was expensive and annoying.  When I was really working the grippers hard early in my grip career, I must have dreamed i was closing a gripper fairly regularly because i destroyed 3 remote controls closing grippers in my sleep. :laugh  The only cure for that was to not sleep with the remote in my hand.  :blink

• Haha 1

@KapMan are you warming up before bending?

I do a series of fingerwalks and sledge levers before my workout to flush my hands and forearms with tons of blood. Then start bending half way into my workout. This eliminated pinkie side cramping for me.

Try blood flow / dexterity stuff but go slow, and stop just short of getting a burn or "pump." Fingerwalks, dex balls, extensor bands. You should be able to do slightly more each time. Fingerwalks every day would be too much for your thumb pad to recover from, but other stuff can be done daily, take 1-2 days of rest before hitting something full effort.