Blob50 Curvature for Replica

manost12

Hey Guys,

since it's not easy to get a blob50 or any york dumbbell up here in germany (and silarukov is to expensive including shipping costs), I decided to make one on my own. Actually I let it manufacture for me because I dont have the equipment and for that I will provide a drawing. 

My question relates to the shape/curvature of the blob. I relatively new to this sport so I never had the chance to touch one and its quit hard to figure it out from images or videos. In the images attached you can see the blob with different radius on the sides. All measurements are in millimeter, dimensions i found on the board. 

So what do you think, which one is more identically to the original? Or am i completely wrong about the shape? I am really not sure and want to get as similar as possible to the original (based on shape, not weight). Any suggestions appreciated. 

I am also planning to make a lighter one, but i want to have a long time goal to feel in my hands. 

Thanks in advance. 

blob50_R200.PNG

blob50_R400.PNG

• Like 1

I made an aluminum blob trainer last year. My dimensions are almost identical to your first drawing. Only difference is the radius was 226 mm. Here is my blob next to a blob50. 

20170409_122354.jpg

• Like 3

Ok, thank you. Wasn't sure if it tends more to conus or convex shape. My only concern is that the radius I chose is to small and hence to hard to grip.

What weight is your aluminium blob? Sth. around 15kg?

1 hour ago, manost12 said:

What weight is your aluminium blob? Sth. around 15kg?

It's around 20lb or 10kg: exactly what I predicted when I did a volume to mass calculation. I have a loading pin and base screwed into one side with a baseplate so I can load it with weight plates.

Nice. I build a similar one out of wood where I can attach the loading pin on the bottom and on the side, so I can also do some facelifts with it. It's a bit slippery through the wooden surface but it works.

The Blob50 and the Fatman Blob don't have the same shape. What are you looking exactly for?

You right I messed that up in my initial post. Actually I am looking for the Fatman blob shape. 

I have to admit I didn't now there is such a big difference since the blob50 is a pretty good replica of the Fatman, at least I thought?!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 1:51 AM, manost12 said:

You right I messed that up in my initial post. Actually I am looking for the Fatman blob shape. 

I have to admit I didn't now there is such a big difference since the blob50 is a pretty good replica of the Fatman, at least I thought?!

No. A pretty good replica of the 2nd generation blob. Not the first generation which is the fatman. 

• Thanks 1

Would the more pronounced convex shape on both sides make it any harder???   I know my blob50 and regular blob, not sure the generation, both have significantly less curvature on one side.  I just got a loadable blob trainer from a friend and it has equal sides.  Didn't know if that made it much harder or not.  

I would think so. The more convex the sides are, the less "sharp" would be the edge and therefore harder to get a good grip I guess. At least from a theoretically viewpoint...

No problem. 

Here is my final drawing I handed out for manufacture. I adjusted the measurements for my needs, so they are not exactly as the dimensions I found at the board anymore (Had troubles to find affordable steel this size).

Based on calculations the larger blob (left) will be around 23kg (dimensions similar as blob50), the smaller one around 19kg. I have no clue why the original blob has the same weight though it has a larger diameter. Maybe because of the flattend side on the bottom? Or my weight calculations are just wrong (hopefully not).

I will post pictures and exact weights when I get them. 

BlobFinal.thumb.jpg.2e1c9ab6710d86fc6b5c180eb8a48f16.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

@manost12 hi!

I must say that this is an informative discussion and helpful photos 🙂

Could I please ask you to share the results? What material did you use and what final weight was?

Thanks in advance

• Like 3

On 8/18/2023 at 11:38 AM, insane.warrior said:

@manost12 hi!

I must say that this is an informative discussion and helpful photos 🙂

Could I please ask you to share the results? What material did you use and what final weight was?

Thanks in advance

This calculator might be helpful for you: https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/volume

• Like 1