Inch trainer handle size

Primitivebeasty

My understanding is that the original Inch dumbbell had a handle diameter of 2.38 inches, and that the replicas have a handle diameter of about 2.47 inches. 

I've just picked some stock up for cheap on Craigslist, and I'm planning on making myself an Inch training handle with it. So the question is, which size to cut it to? It would be neat to have the same size as the original, but I'll never get a chance to try the original, so then the larger replica size makes sense.

What would you guys do? Original size? Replica size? Split the difference? Something else? I realize the difference is less than a tenth of an inch and isn't critical, but I'm going to be turning the stock down anyway, so...

Thanks for any input you have!

If you're building a handle that you can add plates to I don't think that the exact size is all that important. Make it 60-63 mm. For the length I would do it so that you can fit your hand on it, leaving almost no gap on the sides.

I have done several handles from stainless steel. 50 mm, 60 mm, 75 mm etc. I made them 100-110 mm long but next time I will probably make them slightly longer.

41 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

For the length I would do it so that you can fit your hand on it, leaving almost no gap on the sides.

Any reason for this? Do the dumbbell not touch your forearm when you lift and the bell twists?  

6 minutes ago, manost12 said:

Any reason for this? Do the dumbbell not touch your forearm when you lift and the bell twists?  

Some people have trouble with the inch because they have big hands. 

For feat judging the bell is not allowed to touch the arm. That defeats the purpose with the lift completely since it stops the rotation (which is the challenge).

Inch measurements from IronMind... 20'' overall length.... 4'' long handle,.,.,. and  handle  of 2.47'' diameter 

Edited by Rick Browne

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Some people have trouble with the inch because they have big hands. 

Oh alright. I never had the chance to touch a real inch so I thought it was the other way around and you shortend the handle, compared with the original.

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

For feat judging the bell is not allowed to touch the arm. That defeats the purpose with the lift completely since it stops the rotation (which is the challenge).

Yeah that's what I thought could easy happen if you use large plates and a too short handle.

Thanks for clarifying.

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

If you're building a handle that you can add plates to I don't think that the exact size is all that important. Make it 60-63 mm. For the length I would do it so that you can fit your hand on it, leaving almost no gap on the sides.

I have done several handles from stainless steel. 50 mm, 60 mm, 75 mm etc. I made them 100-110 mm long but next time I will probably make them slightly longer.

Yes, I am building the kind you can add plates to. 

I was a little torn on the length because I have wide palms, but haven't read that there was any difference in handle length so figured if it's an Inch trainer I ought to have the same handle length.

Looks like the vote is for the larger size. I'll probably go with that - besides being the same size as any Inch I might ever come across, I was also planning on making several sizes, and 2.5 fits between 2.25 and 2.75 a lot better than 2.38 does.

It's a trainer so it does not have to be exactly 100% as the original as far as I see it. As long as your hand fits you'll be fine. Then you can always add more weights than the original to make a lift even more impressive.