Hopefully

My training for the #3 cert

Onerepman
On 1/14/2020 at 6:04 AM, Hopefully said:

But I share your concern that you gave your thought on about filed grippers before. If you file a 120 gripper so that it closes at 130 lbs force, it is still a 120 gripper through the regular range of motion. Therefore I think it's important to file grippers that is near ~ 80-90% of your ability to get most benefit. Otherwise you risk losing strength. If you can close a 3 and decide to train on a severly filed 2 for example, I think you are making a bad choice. Then you'll just develop strength far beyond the range where you really want it. I have experienced that myself. 

I think filing ghps is a good idea to get better at coc's, seeing as the sweep on a ghp is generally more difficult. 

Wow, thanks for this advice. It's such a simple concept but it's easy to overlook when you're at a plateau wondering why you aren't getting stronger. I was stuck at a 140 RGC crush for months, and I thought training with choked grippers and filed No 2 CoCs would help me break it. But as you said, there are better ways to go about it.

A year and a half ago I bought two GHP 6 grippers that were both rated at 133, so I got one of them filed to 141. Of course at the time I was nowhere near strong enough to close it. Just today I took them out of storage and saw that I was about a hairs distance away from closing the filed GHP! So now I will predominantly focus on training with the filed GHP 6 so that I can eventually get to the 150 RGC territory. 

Again, thank your analysis. I can now revamp my training and push through this plateau.

Edited by Onerepman
Emphasis on bold.
  • Like 3

Hopefully

Thought I'd become a member at Ironmind forum, which is basically dead by now, but Joe K is still active and thought it'd be cool to talk to him a little bit. However a mod need to authorize your account before you can write to people, and I have waited for a week or so now. Also e-mailed Randall about it but got no response. 

Bummer. 

Edited by Hopefully
Spelling

Hopefully

Did some mms singles, first time in.. I don't know, forever. Felt like shit and couldnt get a good set on anything. So I don't think I'll mix my CCS sets with those anymore. Maybe I'll alternate workouts when I reach a plateau. 

Ccs sets:

Filed ghp 6 5x1 Oc few sec, I'll do this a few workouts and see what happens, I want to get to where I can do comfortsble singles with ghp7 and then file that one for the rest of the way. Then I'm set. 

2.5 1x8 

Left hand

Worthless

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1

Hopefully

BB 6-7 (not all the way) 

5-6 (easy) 

Hannes
On 12/28/2019 at 1:39 PM, Hopefully said:

I did a tns with my ghp 5 for fun today and the handle on the finger side started spinning. Probably due to short fingers. Now what to do about that.. 

Damn that's a coincidence. Just had the palm handle on my GHP gripper start spinning earlier.

• Haha 1

devinhoo

On 12/28/2019 at 8:39 AM, Hopefully said:

I did a tns with my ghp 5 for fun today and the handle on the finger side started spinning. Probably due to short fingers. Now what to do about that.. 

3 hours ago, Hannes said:

Damn that's a coincidence. Just had the palm handle on my GHP gripper start spinning earlier.

Pretend it's a "feature" lol. There's a brand called Vatiz that sells grippers that have one handle that twist. Seems like a novelty to me, but I guess it could induce a little extra difficulty to overcome.

• Like 1

Hannes
On 1/23/2020 at 4:56 PM, devinhoo said:

Pretend it's a "feature" lol. There's a brand called Vatiz that sells grippers that have one handle that twist. Seems like a novelty to me, but I guess it could induce a little extra difficulty to overcome.

If it was a GHP5 or even a 6 it would be ok. Not so much with a GHP8. 

For me at least.

• Like 1

Hopefully

Wide/ccs

1x1 filed ghp6

2x1 attempt ghp7, missed both slightly 

1x1 CoC3, missed slightly 

1x1 Oc #2

Left hand 

Nothing to note

Blob work 

Up to ~ 21kg left hand full lift 

Right hand, some lifts with ~ 18kg

Benchpress 

Of course I wished I would close ghp7 but im satisfied with the workout, I missed it very slightly and it's only the second workout attempting it. Still, I should have done singels today not max attempts. Oh well. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1

Goran Paulinič

I think I made it this time. COC #2.5 one MMS rep with left hand. I am not sure but I think it touched together. I will film it next time. Ofcourse I did it because of impatience. I was planning to do a week of volume more. :)

• Like 2

Hopefully
5 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

I think I made it this time. COC #2.5 one MMS rep with left hand. I am not sure but I think it touched together. I will film it next time. Ofcourse I did it because of impatience. I was planning to do a week of volume more. :)

Satisfying :D

• Like 1

Goran Paulinič

Any suggestion about how to go on now that I have #2.5 in a pocket? I think squezzing it like a maniac every workout wouldn't do any good. :) To continue low high reps routine with GHP 5 and coc #2 can be wiser but not neccessarily optimal. I cannot file grippers because I don't have access to proper tools. I am thinking about strap holds with GHP 4 or my easy COC #2. This should bring some benefits I think. Once a week this and three times volume-strength routine with GHP 5. Is this sound? And then again crush that #2.5 after two , better three weeks.

Edited by Goran Paulinič
addition

Hopefully
40 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Any suggestion about how to go on now that I have #2.5 in a pocket? I think squezzing it like a maniac every workout wouldn't do any good. :) To continue low high reps routine with GHP 5 and coc #2 can be wiser but not neccessarily optimal. I cannot file grippers because I don't have access to proper tools. I am thinking about strap holds with GHP 4 or my easy COC #2. This should bring some benefits I think. Once a week this and three times volume-strength routine with GHP 5. Is this sound? And then again crush that #2.5 after two , better three weeks.

If you cant file and dont want to buy any more grippers and dont like heavy singles, then I think strap holds could be the only way to go untill you can close 2. 5 comfortably. 

I havent done strap holds enough to really have an opinion on them, but if you look through the forum on stuff from 15-20 years ago people were all over them. Seems to have been held in really high regard back then. So it's probably a good choice. I think I'll try them out myself soon once more to Spice things up. 

One weakness is that you arent really training with the gripper closed, so depending on the thickness of the strap you are missing out some on the end range. I personally think that for them to be as effective as possible you should use some kind of metall thats really thin, say 0,1-0,8mm. And also start the strap hold like a regular set, close on to the strap, not cheating the gripper closed and then on to the strap immediately. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 4

Fist of Fury
2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

If you cant file and dont want to buy any more grippers and dont like heavy singles, then I think strap holds could be the only way to go untill you can close 2. 5 comfortably. 

I havent done strap holds enough to really have an opinion on them, but if you look through the forum on stuff from 15-20 years ago people were all over them. Seems to have been held in really high regard back then. So it's probably a good choice. I think I'll try them out myself soon once more to Spice things up. 

One weakness is that you arent really training with the gripper closed, so depending on the thickness of the strap you are missing out some on the end range. I personally think that for them to be as effective as possible you should use some kind of metall thats really thin, say 0,1-0,8mm. And also start the strap hold like a regular set, close on to the strap, not cheating the gripper closed and then on to the strap immediately. 

One layer of cordura works great.

• Like 3

Hopefully

Felt like absolute shit today, have been very weak the last few days. Feels like I'm dying or something. My mind is foggy and it feels like im dreaming, also my mental energy is non existent. Dunno whats wrong..Closing even the 2 felt like a thousand pounds 

After warmup it went decent, considering. 

4x1 attempt at 3, as wide set as I possibly could while still feeling comfortable. Missed all by 0.5mm lr something. Think I would have missed a little narrower set too. 

TNS 2 1x12

Left hand 

4x1 ghp6, same set 

TNS 2 1x8

Squats 

Reverse curls 

Edited by Hopefully
2 instead of 3
  • Like 1

yorkshire grip

great read this

• Like 3

Hopefully
17 minutes ago, yorkshire grip said:

great read this

Thanks, hope you get something out of it 

Hopefully

Some dumbbell rows 

Hopefully

#3 4x1, a little wider than ccs 

1x1 #2.5 overcrush 3sec or so 

Left hand 5x1 ghp6 wide set 

1x2 Oc #2

Benchpress 3x10 120kg

Finger curls 60kg 3x12

Have to stop max attempts with grippers, it takes too much out of me. I'll build up volume with my 3 for a while untill I do it very easily and then move up. At least today thats the plan, next workout If it feels good I'll do maxes again either way 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 2

Hopefully

Squats. Felt half ok. 

Knees forward more, feet slightly more turned. Straight this time. Try straight wrist. Use wrist wraps

Blob 2 fingers, 14.8

7 singles rp 7 singles mp

Fun! 

Edited by Hopefully

Goran Paulinič
On 2/4/2020 at 7:58 PM, Hopefully said:

Have to stop max attempts with grippers, it takes too much out of me. I'll build up volume with my 3 for a while untill I do it very easily and then move up. At least today thats the plan, next workout If it feels good I'll do maxes again either way 

It can be overcomed. That kind of philosophy. Basicaly it is "meathead" philosophy and everybody jokes about meatheads pushing maxes every day in the gym. It is laughable if it is bench, it is somehow ok if gripper.

Hopefully
14 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

It can be overcomed. That kind of philosophy. Basicaly it is "meathead" philosophy and everybody jokes about meatheads pushing maxes every day in the gym. It is laughable if it is bench, it is somehow ok if gripper.

Yup.

Hopefully

So I made myself a blob today, turned out to weigh 27.7kg. I got my work cut out for me >.>

20200207_190358.jpg

• Like 4

Goran Paulinič

This is one fine looking blob.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully

Blob 27.7kg drags. 5 each hand. 

3 sets 2 hand lift with hold 

2 finger blob trainer 13kg, holds at lockout. Rather easy. 6 sets, rp and mi

BB around 20kg 1x10 each hand as a finisher. 

60kg db row 5x5 

Reverse curls straight wrist 40kg 3x10

My blob didn't feel as impossible as I thought. Im probably naive. It is 102mm before slope, 190mm diameter and 142mm wide, with a 220mm radius. I figured if I pulled this I would definitely be able to do a regular 50lbs blob. 

Hopefully

Squats 110kg 3x5, felt terrible. 

Light grippers, technique work, same both hands 

#2 5x3 ccs 

#2.5 ccs 1x1 

Light blob lifts 3x1 both hands 

Ball rotations.

Some bicep curls just because

Video is 2.5 ccs, feel good about my CCS technique. I don't know what I could improve. With heavier grippers I do some arm twist that seem to give a little extra. Maybe I could try to stretch my thumb over some more, and extend my wrist at the same time 

Edited by Hopefully