Hopefully

My training for the #3 cert

Hopefully

Have been sick for over a week so couldn't train, I'm still not ok but as I'm not that bright I still trained today. Felt very strong initially but the strength faded immediately after first set. 

#153 deep set 10 reps (approx 9mm) I was going to do mms but I just.. Didn't 😛

#153 mms, messed up the set a little and did 4.5. A little dissapointed with that. 

#130 1x10

Left hand #143 2x8

#130 1x10

Finger curls 

105kg 5reps

100kg 5reps

90kg 10reps

70kg 10 reps

The reps work is starting to bore me a little. I will not quit but perhaps I need to settle with 5-7 reps instead before I climb. Depends how I perform on my #153 when I feel better again. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 3

Hopefully

Mms:

#153 1x5

#143 1x5

#130 1x20

3x18 

Left hand IM 2.5 

1X24

2X20

#130 1X12

• Like 3

Hopefully

Ulnar and radial deviation 5 sets 

• Like 1

Hopefully

I think I'll start counting number of sets over a 7 day period and make sure the number increase. 

Seems I did 16 first period, then 26 the next. That's kind of a big increase but it feels good. 

I'd like to get in around 32 sets this time.

Also instead of trying to hit my 8 rep goal for the first set and go to failure and basically burn half my strength immediately, I'll decrease the reps and increase the sets instead. 8reps is an arbitrary goal that doesn't mean anything. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1

Hopefully

Mms/deep

The 10 on #153 was easy, I quit because I didn't want to burn out to quickly. With that I think I'm ready to move up. #159 or #156. We'll see. Left hand will be the 153. 

#153: 6 sets 

Reps: 4,4,10,4,6,5

#143: 3 sets 

Reps: 4,6,6

#130: 1x12

Left hand 

#143 9x5-7 depending on quality of set

#130 1x5 

#112 1x22

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 2

Raymond

Good work man!

You must be getting close to certifying soon?

Hopefully
1 hour ago, Raymond said:

Good work man!

You must be getting close to certifying soon?

Thanks! 

It will be a while still :)

But it's looking pretty good so far. Ccs is a different set though so. 

I can rep ghp6 maybe for 20-25 mms reps fresh, but I still find it difficult to CCS. Maybe I can do 3 ccs reps on it or so. 

I probably can't ccs my 153 yet. 

• Like 1

Hopefully

Radial & ulnar deviation 8x8-12

Hopefully

Note to self:

I overdid the volume last gripper workout. Split it up over more days instead. Can't recover properly, mentally that is. 

Edited by Hopefully

Goran Paulinič

You should do more CCS sets in my opinion. I was watching your recent trainning and saw you're focusing on MMS sets.

• Like 1

Hopefully
1 hour ago, Goran Paulinič said:

You should do more CCS sets in my opinion. I was watching your recent trainning and saw you're focusing on MMS sets.

I use mms to gain strength, then I implement it with ccs sets. When I think I have enough strength, I will focus on ccs untill I am cert ready. I want to mms my 3.5 first, because then I'll be more than strong enough. 

The way I alternate mms and finger curls right now I feel is the best thing I can do. The sweep power I gain with the curls is much greater than when I focus purely on ccs, probably because I can use much more weight. 

As you too have small hands, I don't know if you've noticed, but if you try ccs and have the palm handle too high in the hand your fingers will sort of lock up and you cant even start the movement. And by doing finger curls this problem goes away and I'm able to overcome it. 

I see what you're saying, and I have tried to focus only on ccs for a while because that's the goal in the end. But I only progress for a short while then I plateau. It doesn't give enough resistance to get strong enough for me, because you have to use a much lighter gripper than you are capable off. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 2

Hopefully

Unfortunately no lesson learned on the volume. 

Finger curls: 

105kg 1x5

100kg 5x5

100kg 1x10 (less rom) 

80kg 3x10 (max rom possible) 

Also squats 

I think next workout I'll decrease the rom and up the weight for my main sets. 110-115kg somewhere. Then do full rom for a few back up sets. 

Edited by Hopefully

Hopefully
Posted (edited)

I know shit about anatomy or the deeper mechanics of how training really works, so I read alot. I want to know the facts, the why or how I don't really care about. 

Anyway, theoretically only doing singles could be just as effective as say 12 reps for hypertrophy, given that you do enough sets to get enough volume. Only the reps that are near or at failure provide the necessary stimulus for hypertrophy. Therefore doing a lot of reps isn't necessarily 'high volume' if they arent taken to near failure. At least not effective high volume. High volume would be alot of sets taken to failure or near failure. 

Thought that was pretty interesting. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1

Hopefully
Posted (edited)

Rest for 5 days, as always I was weak after a rest period. It was weird though because everything felt really light put I couldn't muster any power. Probably because I haven't used heavy grippers for a while now. 

If all this repping gives me nothing at peak power after a month or two I'll abandon that forever. I have increased muscle size substantially this time so I should be able to get stronger. 

#159 elite 1x4 small reps,  8mm maybe. 

#156 2x5 same distance

Finger curls 90kg 1x5 

Fc negative very slow 130kg

Left hand did a bit better than I thought, got my #147 gripper back so I used that instead of #153. 

3x7 reps, 10mm isch. 

Edited by Hopefully

Hopefully

#159 1x6-7 mini reps 

#153 1x1 mms 

Left hand #147 1x7

Fc negative 140kg 

• Like 2

Raymond

Good work man!

• Thanks 1

Hopefully

Radial and ulnar dev 1 set each 

Pinch wide block 4x1 15kg (difficult) 

Narrow block 4x1 25kg (rather easy) 

Im trying hard to care for pinch but I don't know. I just don't think it's that fun and it's difficult to come up with some decent goal that feels satisfying. 

• Like 1

Fist of Fury
17 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Radial and ulnar dev 1 set each 

Pinch wide block 4x1 15kg (difficult) 

Narrow block 4x1 25kg (rather easy) 

Im trying hard to care for pinch but I don't know. I just don't think it's that fun and it's difficult to come up with some decent goal that feels satisfying. 

I feel the same way about pinch, it's super boring. I have decided to only do it for hand health.

Hopefully
5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I feel the same way about pinch, it's super boring. I have decided to only do it for hand health.

Yup.. It isnt the same kind of satisfaction from progressing as with grippers. 

I'll try to get a feel for it for a few weeks though, otherwise I'll just drop it. 

I had a little thought of maybe competing next year but I'm not willing to sacrifice progression with grippers for it right now. 

Hopefully

**10 minutes of rest between each set**

#159 1x8 small reps, last two with wrist grab 

1x2 mms with overcrush last rep 

1x3 mms 

Left hand #153 1x8 small reps 

1x1 mms with overcrush 

#147 1x5 mms with last rep wrist grab 

Really surprised by that last set. 

Very happy with the workout. Initially I was going to do only 1 gripper set and then 1 overload negative finger curl set. Instead I did 3 gripper sets because I was afraid of overdoing the negatives and hurt myself. 2 times a week is enough if I do them heavy enough. 

Next workout I think I'll try a heavy activation set before my work sets, as I felt the strongest my last set today. 

• Like 1

Hopefully

3 ccs attempt 1mm left, wanted to see where I am. 

#159 1x9 last wrist grab 

Left hand 

Ghp 6 ccs 

#153 1x8

Finger curls 145kg negative 

• Like 1