Hopefully

My training for the #3 cert

Hopefully

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here without an account for a couple of weeks, trying to learn as much as I can. Seems like a great community for sure. Posting like this isn't really my style, but somehow it seemed like a fun idea so why not try something new.

So like everybody else I will write about my workouts, and I'm thinking I'll start shooting some videos as well in the future. We'll see though, my life is busy as is so it could be more of a burden for me than something fun.

I have basically trained my whole life lifting weights, with different goals over time. I was involved in powerlifting for awhile, or in benchpress rather. I was not a beast by any means but I managed lifting twice my bodyweight at least. Competing isn't my thing, unfortunately I cannot handle it mentally. I quit pressing about 4 years ago as it wasn't good for me, it made me more depressed than happy so why do it, I couldn't manage to meet my own expectations so I constantly dissapointed myself. 

After that I concentrated on pull ups which I always found fun. In the beginning I was shooting for high reps but later went over to weighted pull ups since strength is my passion. Wasn't long before I made the goal of lifting my own bodyweight in weighted pull ups.. unfortunately I injured myself working towards this, got severe tendonitis in my short bicep tendon in the right arm. It has taken me a year to get rid of it and I feel that I am finally back. I will resume this goal later this year but I will concentrate on bodybulding for now. I came to the realization that I need bigger lats to be able to carry the strength needed,.. well I'll stop there, this is supposed to be about grippers so. Just a little history if someones interested :)

I will start by saying that I am unsure if I have the genetic potential to succeed with the certification, so you won't see any big closes from me beyond #3, if that. Nevertheless, I will pursue it with everything I have and we'll see how it goes, hopefully I can do it. I have small hands so it is difficult for me, I also suck at mms and am much stronger at wide (no) sets. I have tried to do it like in paul's video but it doesn't work for me at all(makes me weaker) maybe I need to have the handle further back in the hand because of finger length or something but I haven't experimented with that much ;) 

I am pretty new to this, have only been training grippers seriously for the past 2 months. I messed around with the #1 and #2 as a teenager 10 years ago or so a little bit but I wasn't serious about it, had other goals and too short of attention span :tongue

And to recap my journey so far:

When I started 2 months ago, I began by using greasing the groove with number #1 to make my cns adapt to the movement. I did singles, like 20-30 each day. After 4 days I filed it heavily and repeated the above process.

Then I did the exact same thing with #1.5.

After a couple of days of rest I smashed #2. I then tried greasing the groove with the #2 as well but it was too close to my max so I was burnt out after 2 days. I decided gtg had runned its course.

I started filing the 2 as well and did singles with it, then rested a couple of days and repeated this. Each time filing it more. It is now heaviily filed, like from half the handle  and then  going in a 15-20 degree angle ending right about the centre of the handle. I won't file it more.

Instead of going up to the #2.5 at this point I started doing negatives and mini reps with #2. The point of both methods here is to get more time under tension and to strengthen and adapt my tendons to bigger grippers.  I perform the negatives veeeery slow the whole movement, pausing at critical points (points of weakness) to work isometrically. Similar to one arm chin up frenzies. I am very explosive, and I can "easily" smash the 2. However, if I take the speed out of the equation I am not nearly as strong, so the super slow negatives is to make improvements in pure strength (and again, adapt tendons).

My opinion on the negatives is that the weight can not be too heavy, and it must be performed slow and with control. If you take a gripper you cannot close, and hold it isometrically for as deep and as long as you can, and then fight the negative when the negative is forced (the handles open because your strength is gone) the risk of injury is very high. You don't perform negatives this way in gymnastics or powerlifting, and when the strength is gone and the negative is forced you have no protection, of course injuries happen.

I tried my goal gripper #2.5 my latest workout and I smashed it. So that made me very happy! Unfortunately I do not know Rgc.. I have ordered a rated Ghp 5 and 6 (also a s.t-rex) from cannon so when they arrive I will know where I am truly at :happy

Anyway, I will do one last workout with negatives with my number 2, and then I'll just repeat the same thing with my 2.5 I guess. It is working for me so why change anything.

Another thing I started doing last workout was performing slow negatives from parallell to open hand with 3 fingers with my RBA. The reason for this is because of my short fingers, I will have to perfect the technique Paul savage showed in his video in order to certify, and thus I need to strengthen those fingers in the sweep area. I use RBA because the resistence is the same all over the movement due to the spring, the grippers are weak from parallell and beyond so strengthen the sweep with those will be difficult. And I also figured that if I strengthen my sweep enormously, I can then use momentum and my explosive power to gain speed in sweep area so that I power through the close.

Sorry for writing so much, I guess it would be a pain to read it all, just wanted to share some thoughts :P

I'll update next workout. 

Take care.

• Like 2

anwnate

Hi H.

If you (re)started grippers 2 months ago, it's a good bet you are simply uncovering your base gripper strength...which apparently is very strong.

When you start to plateau, turn your focus towards your recovery.  Our age, training and general activity level, all play a role in optimal gripper training. 

GL. 

• Like 1

Hopefully
1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Hi H.

If you (re)started grippers 2 months ago, it's a good bet you are simply uncovering your base gripper strength...which apparently is very strong.

When you start to plateau, turn your focus towards your recovery.  Our age, training and general activity level, all play a role in optimal gripper training. 

GL. 

Hi!

Yes..well, we'll see where it stops. It could also be that I'm starting out near my limit, or maybe It'll continue like this and go very well.. In either case I want to have fun and enjoy myself. That's the most important thing.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Fist of Fury

You're young man, you will mash the #3 easily and you can go beyond that if you want to. Be consistent and and have patience and you'll go far.

Booze
Posted (edited)

Hello! I’m pretty much a lurker as well for the most part. You’re ahead of me as I still can’t close the 2.5 from any set, but I identify with you. I know what you mean with the MMS sets. Something doesn’t quite feel right for me sometimes and although I am stronger when I do it right (or at least what i THINK is right), it’s not by all that much vs CCS. I think it just takes time. For a while my routine would just call for me first doing some all out effort wide sets, and then deciding to pick up a heavier gripper and saying “I’ll just throw in some mms reps with this”. Then I would be left dumbfounded when I wouldn’t  even be able to close it once lol. I find that if I do any wide set work first, my MMS is absolutely  horrible if I try it after. I think it takes a little time devoted to prioritizing MMS to start see the difference from my perspective. I have to come right out the gate in a workout doing MMS on all warmup sets and then the MMS work sets. But again for me the difference is still not great as far as a max close goes. I’m fairly close to a MMS 2.5, and the gap is not really all that far behind it for CCS. However, I’ll see a much bigger difference when I MMS a gripper that I can CLOSE CCS. Then we’ll be talking about something I can do 1x CCS and be able to get 6 or more MMS. I’m still pretty new to this though so in time I’m expecting the gap in what I can max on both to grow (maybe)

Edited by Booze
  • Like 1

jvance

Don't get locked in too much with MMS. A wide set like CCS or none at all carries over well to other grip aspect like thickbar. Back when I started I was one dimensional and got the 3 in short order MMS, then repping it 5+.... but couldn't lift 160 on the Rolling Thunder.. nowadays, I've noticed CCS is helping me close in on 220 with the RT (improved without directly training it).

• Like 1

Hopefully
Posted (edited)

Instead of doing negatives with my #2 today I decided it's better If I keep progressing to higher resictances Instead. That and I also couldn't resist it ^^

Warmup :

Plastic gripper: 2x15 

Some pushups and bw squats, just enough to get my body going. 

Some singles on my filed #1 & #1.5

3x1 on my #2. 

For the working sets (all my sets are wide) I did 7x1 on my #2.5 (right hand), it felt okay, wasn't too difficult but I expected it to be easier. Im considering running gtg on this one a couple of days. It needs to feel easier before I move on. 

Left hand I did 7x2 on #2(re-set). Felt okay for being left hand. 

I recorded my second set of my #2.5, however it is bad, I missed everything :p I'll post either way. It's a start st least. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bggu7RsFIHh/?hl=sv

(sorry I don't know how to integrate the video) 

Edited by Hopefully

Hopefully
Posted (edited)

Got some new grippers today, 108# IM 2, 112# GHP 5 and 130# GHP 6.

My grip is too weak since last workout to try them, dont wanna mess with recovery. Feel I need 3 more days or so. 

Still, needing this much rest to be able to perform again is hardly optimal. After my coming gtg cycle I Will try resting 15 minutes between sets and avoid going on till failure so I can train more often. Strength is about 100% effort anyway, so more rest is good for that also. 

I have been away from training anything besides my back for 1.5months or so, due to.. Stuff. Anyway, started a little bit today again.

I did handstand wall runs for 5x20, slow reps (stomach to wall) My shoulder girdle felt very strong though, I haven't lost much strength. I did the runs to shoulders today, but I Will start doing them to my thighs when all my strength is back. I weigh about 96kg atm so the pressure on my wrist and forearm is lmmense, they felt blasted afterwards. Never thought of that before, maybe it helps grip somewhat. 

Finished with wrist pushups, 3x5 for both flexors and extensors. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1

Hopefully
On 2018-03-17 at 6:49 AM, Booze said:

Hello! 

Hi! 

Yes, you are probably right. Also to get really great at one of them you would probably have to specialize a bit. For me I really dont care for mms atm, it would be cool to be able to crush bigger grippers but the IM cert is my focus. Doing sets from CCS starting point and then bang out a few mms reps (or Micro) would probably translate over to both the best. 

What are your goals? 

On 2018-03-18 at 2:08 PM, jvance said:

Don't get locked in too much with MMS. A wide set like CCS or none at all carries over well to other grip aspect like thickbar. Back when I started I was one dimensional and got the 3 in short order MMS, then repping it 5+.... but couldn't lift 160 on the Rolling Thunder.. nowadays, I've noticed CCS is helping me close in on 220 with the RT (improved without directly training it).

Got it! Makes sense 

Booze
19 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Hi! 

Yes, you are probably right. Also to get really great at one of them you would probably have to specialize a bit. For me I really dont care for mms atm, it would be cool to be able to crush bigger grippers but the IM cert is my focus. Doing sets from CCS starting point and then bang out a few mms reps (or Micro) would probably translate over to both the best. 

What are your goals? 

Got it! Makes sense 

Same as yours, certifying on the #3. I really don’t care about MMS either, just use it as a training tool as I’m always looking for anything that might have carry over value to CCS. I experiment way too much though! Never really give anything a chance to work. I’m the type who has one bad workout, gets pissed,  and just completely changes their routine up lol. In reality I’ve probably made pretty good progress going from the #1 once (dominant hand only) to “kind of” close on the 2.5 in a little under a year,  but I never see it that way. I think I compare myself way too damn much to people with higher starting points. I’m my own worst enemy as the saying goes.

Ive done what you described, doing a CCS rep followed by partial/mini reps, I should probably go back to it,...I think it makes sense. The main thing I question about MMS is the handle not being in the same position as CCS, meaning my strongest MMS position is a little higher in the hand than I can use for CCS. I question the carry over value if the handle isn’t it in the same spot in your hand, if you know what I mean. 

Hopefully
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Booze said:

Same as yours, certifying on the #3. I really don’t care about MMS either, just use it as a training tool as I’m always looking for anything that might have carry over value to CCS. I experiment way too much though! Never really give anything a chance to work. I’m the type who has one bad workout, gets pissed,  and just completely changes their routine up lol. In reality I’ve probably made pretty good progress going from the #1 once (dominant hand only) to “kind of” close on the 2.5 in a little under a year,  but I never see it that way. I think I compare myself way too damn much to people with higher starting points. I’m my own worst enemy as the saying goes.

Ive done what you described, doing a CCS rep followed by partial/mini reps, I should probably go back to it,...I think it makes sense. The main thing I question about MMS is the handle not being in the same position as CCS, meaning my strongest MMS position is a little higher in the hand than I can use for CCS. I question the carry over value if the handle isn’t it in the same spot in your hand, if you know what I mean. 

Allright. Well that's a big problem, but at least you know of it. It takes the body a few workouts to adapt to a certain training method, if you change too much the body never gets a chance to adapt. You quit before the real gains come. When you have adapted fully to the current load (training method) you stagnate, and that's when you should change (you probably know this).But I know that paralysis by analysis can be difficult to get out of.. I have had it plenty of times before.

Also please do not compare yourself, it will make you feel very bad about yourself. Seriously, it only leads to suffering. All strength related stuff comes down to genetics in the end, no matter how hard(optimal) you train or how good you eat or anything you do. It's a hard pill to swallow, but when you realize this and truly accept it, only then can you truly feel good about yourself. Hard work does not overcome talent, I'm sorry, but with hardwork you can vastly improve yourself. And that's all that matters. 

Also strength is strength. There will always be some carry over, only the cns has to adapt a bit due to a different position. However when you close a bigger gripper with mms, you close it because of better leverage and not greater strength. Therefore with a big mms close, do you close it because of great strength or great leverage? Big difference. Of course even though you have better leverage you also in the end handle more weight, which will prepare your cns to bigger loads.... Maybe it's best to include some mms training afterall :P

And yes I also think it makes sense, very much so! :)

Edited by Hopefully

Hopefully
Posted (edited)

First day for my grease the groove cycle. I will do it untill I start feeling very weak or fail a rep badly, and I will go on for a maximum of 5 days. 

As the 2.5 is still kind of heavy for me I will rest for at least an hour between reps to start with. I'm aware gtg shouldn't be done with something this difficult traditionally but I believe in it for grip. We'll se how it goes. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgyGWt0Byv9

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1

Fist of Fury
1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

First day for my grease the groove cycle. I will do it untill I start feeling very weak or fail a rep badly, and I will go on for a maximum of 5 days. 

As the 2.5 is still kind of heavy for me I will rest for at least an hour between reps to start with. I'm aware gtg shouldn't be done with something this difficult traditionally but I believe in it for grip. We'll se how it goes. 

Good job with the #2.5. Also, that is not a deep set, it's a wide set :) 

Chez
2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Great close and I agree with fist of fury that it wasn't a deep set. On the board, we generally call it a deep set when you are closer than parallel. That look much wider than parallel. 

• Like 1

Hopefully
3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Good job with the #2.5. Also, that is not a deep set, it's a wide set :) 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Great close and I agree with fist of fury that it wasn't a deep set. On the board, we generally call it a deep set when you are closer than parallel. That look much wider than parallel. 

Thank you guys! :)

And okey, good to know. I don't think I will go deeper than in my video though. Not yet.

bencrush
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:34 AM, Hopefully said:

Good luck with your GTG experiment!  Your #2.5 close was a pretty wide set and looked strong.  I noticed that your goal is the #3 cert.  I certified 13 years ago.  Still a very fond memory for me.  And it will be for you too this year or in 2019 from the looks of your training log.  I used a high volume version of GTG for the last few months of my build up to the COC cert.   

• Haha 1

Hopefully
5 hours ago, bencrush said:

Good luck with your GTG experiment!  Your #2.5 close was a pretty wide set and looked strong.  I noticed that your goal is the #3 cert.  I certified 13 years ago.  Still a very fond memory for me.  And it will be for you too this year or in 2019 from the looks of your training log.  I used a high volume version of GTG for the last few months of my build up to the COC cert.   

Thank you Ben! I'm getting there.

Actually it was you who inspired me to do it :) I've read your posts over at Strongfirst and the IM forum (got to them through google). What you have shared has helped me very much. I saw your post about the Peacock grippers the other day aswell, I'm thinking of trying this too :) In combination with filing.

I do have e #3 I bought a long time ago, I think I am a little bit too weak atm to really estimate it's difficulty but man it feels extremely hard. It's rock solid. If that is an average 3 then I have a long way to go still :sleep I have ordered a rated Ghp 7 and a #3 from cannon so it'll be fun to see where I'm at when they arrive.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully

I could only handle two days, but I managed around 30 closes or so with my 2.5 and a few with my 2. My Cns is totally spent now, I feel tired and foggy. So I call it a day, no point in pushing it. My tendons and everything feel fine.. But those injuries come without warning so better to rest today or potentially never train again.  

I never failed a rep on it so when I've recovered I think it's time to move on. I will probably file the 2.5 down a bit and also turn it into a peacock :) or do wide sets with mini reps at the close.. Probably better to do that first before filing it. 

I'll rest from grippers 3 days first though. Then I'll attempts my ghp #130 and see if that goes down. 

Hopefully
Posted (edited)

Handstand wall runs : 5x30, no body swing. Felt easy but I got zip endurance, it'll come. 

Handstand wall walks with horisontal plank hold (feet to wall) 2x2 with 15 second holds. 

Some rounds on heavy bag. 

I think I'll log everything I do, easier for me to keep track of my workouts that way. 

Edited by Hopefully

Hopefully

From what I understand wide pinch should have good carry over to CCS:ing grippers, so I made some stuff today. Two blocks, one wide one narrow, a hub shape thing, a chrome plated blob with a thread in it so that I can use it with the loading pin to add weight. And of course the loading pin. Also a fat grip dumbbell. 

I was going to do a big dumbbell for kroc rows but unfortunately I didn't have the time. 

20180331_184124.jpg

manost12

Looks nice, especially that dumbbell. Very well done.

How thick are those plates with the lug? Are those what you referred as hub like thing? Just didn't get it how you would grip it as they are so thin :)

• Thanks 1

Hopefully
9 minutes ago, manost12 said:

Looks nice, especially that dumbbell. Very well done.

How thick are those plates with the lug? Are those what you referred as hub like thing? Just didn't get it how you would grip it as they are so thin :)

Thanks! :)

Uhm, well, they are both about 12mm. So yes, it'll be difficult. Fingertips. When I am at CCS width the gripper is basically at my fingertips, and I feel very weak there. 

Just googled the hub and it was way deeper than I thought. Well, maybe I'll make a proper one later.. 

Hopefully

And I must say, I lifted this blob a couple of times to try it out and it was really fun actually. Felt awesome liting it. I look forward doing proper workouts with it. 

manost12

Ah alright sounds logical.

The problem I see with this is that some part of the fingertip could slide over the bottom edge and get some additional grip there. As you saw the hub prevents this with an additional large plate. But maybe not, you'll find out soon. 

Keep us updated if it will help you on grippers ;)

• Like 1

manost12
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

And I must say, I lifted this blob a couple of times to try it out and it was really fun actually. Felt awesome liting it. I look forward doing proper workouts with it. 

Do you mean the pinch block I referred to or the blob?

Anyways the main thing is it strengthens your grip. And i think it will.

Edited by manost12
Changed a word