Eric Roussin

2018 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Leonard_Washington

Will the results be posted on this thread or a completely new thread?

Joseph Sullivan
2 minutes ago, Leonard_Washington said:

Will the results be posted on this thread or a completely new thread?

New thread called comp results most likely by Eric Roussin

Edited by Joseph Sullivan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vinnie
2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

It never ended up helping me, but I really liked the 1 minute rule.  A lot of the newer guys benefited and anything we can do to help new people enjoy the sport is a great thing!

I don't disagree, but it cost me a pulled something on my 4th attempt on the jug.  My right arm is out for a few weeks or months, but since I have neglected to balance my left, I will now focus on that while the right recovers.

• Like 1

Vinnie
2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

New thread called comp results most likely by Eric Roussin

Can't wait!  But I suspect it will take a while to compile it all and put it in presentable form.  It was hard enough just figuring out the results for our 8-person venue!  Except we knew Chez won, because he did the most in each event so he got 4.  lol.

• Like 1

Joseph Sullivan
18 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I don't disagree, but it cost me a pulled something on my 4th attempt on the jug.  My right arm is out for a few weeks or months, but since I have neglected to balance my left, I will now focus on that while the right recovers.

You need to train your biceps 

• Like 1

Chez
1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I don’t think it was the 60 sec time limit. It was the jug. The vertical lifts are the most dangerous lifts in grip. One wrong move and it loads on the bicep. You are a warrior though vin and handled it very well. I was amazed that you were already talking about going to Tim’s comp in two weeks and using your left

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

Leonard_Washington

I can't remember what grip show I was listening to (probably The Grip Guys), but the speaker said usually if you miss your lift, you won't get it.  That was proved false many times from different competitors at my venue including me.  A handful of time (pun intended) it came down to the last 10 seconds and someone would get their lift.  I like the 60 window. 

• Like 3

Chez
13 minutes ago, Leonard_Washington said:

I can't remember what grip show I was listening to (probably The Grip Guys), but the speaker said usually if you miss your lift, you won't get it.  That was proved false many times from different competitors at my venue including me.  A handful of time (pun intended) it came down to the last 10 seconds and someone would get their lift.  I like the 60 window. 

Yep. Happened a lot at our location also 

• Like 3

Joseph Sullivan
16 minutes ago, Leonard_Washington said:

IMO, thick bar events would be the ones that people would be less likely to make a recovery from if they missed it the first time. 

• Like 1

Nigel Blackburn

I LOVE the 60-second rule. Sure, sometimes if it's not coming up, it's not coming up. With that being said, it's an awesome feeling to bounce back and hit your attempt after a climatic race against time; it makes it super exciting and more fair to newer people getting into the sport.

• Like 3

Climber028

It didn't explicitly help me, but it took away the nervousness of getting perfect placement the first time, just because I knew that I had the option of re-gripping if necessary or if it didn't feel perfect.

• Like 2

Anthony C.

I definitely think the 60 second rule is a good idea as I saw a bunch of folks miss their lift and then get it later on in the minute. 

However, i also saw a bunch of folks throwing caution to the wind with proper form and using any means necessary to try to pull the weight in a time crunch. I think that can bring on injuries for sure.

But, it’s on the athlete to not let that happen.

• Like 5

Joseph Sullivan
26 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

I LOVE the 60-second rule. Sure, sometimes if it's not coming up, it's not coming up. With that being said, it's an awesome feeling to bounce back and hit your attempt after a climatic race against time; it makes it super exciting and more fair to newer people getting into the sport.

It just makes sense with grip. And it makes it so much more exciting 

• Like 2

Lucasraymond
6 hours ago, Chez said:

I don’t think it was the 60 sec time limit. It was the jug. The vertical lifts are the most dangerous lifts in grip. One wrong move and it loads on the bicep. You are a warrior though vin and handled it very well. I was amazed that you were already talking about going to Tim’s comp in two weeks and using your left

Yeah and I lifted more on the jug this year than I did on 2” vbar last year including missing 300lbs by 1/2”...so there is still a lot of weight causing strain on the biceps but you have to internall rotate the weight using pec and lat versus the biceps which is supinator

BB4675C8-891B-4478-9DAA-7AC0FC5A40FC.png

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Tom Flesher
5 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

However, i also saw a bunch of folks throwing caution to the wind with proper form and using any means necessary to try to pull the weight in a time crunch.

My ears are burning....

• Like 1

Anthony C.
31 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

My ears are burning....

Lmao. Wasn’t directed at you. Everyone was doing it at some point

Edited by Anthony C.
  • Like 1

Tom Flesher

Oh, definitely! But that's absolutely what was going on with my last Jug attempt. Chez was yelling cues and I was just yanking on the thing praying it'd go up!

(Narrator: It did not go up.)

• Haha 1