2018 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Eric Roussin

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

Yes, switching hands within the 60-second timeframe is allowed. I’ll clarify the wording in the rules, but all promoters should already be aware.

As for time allowances between lifts, this hasn’t been prescribed. At my venue, I allow competitors who are in a position to have to make back-to-back attempts at least a couple of minutes between them, but no more than five. Otherwise, the contest will drag on forever.

Considering the attempt rule changes, I am guessing these results won't be entered on the NAGS lists. (This is a case of apples and oranges.) Any word on this?  And...what about FBBC and BSS records?

Will be interesting to see how much support the one minute rule (unlimited attempts) gets outside of North America and Russia. I know it will not be implemented in the LGC competition in Sweden (one of the longest running grip comps) and I know David Horne is not very enthusiastic about it.

Makes a circus of grip sport compared to the vastly more popular powerlifting and olympic lifting where they are sensible enough to carry out the lifting in a more organised way. Now you can stand like a fool and tear at an implement non-stop for a minute. I would not call that progress.

11 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Will be interesting to see how much support the one minute rule (unlimited attempts) gets outside of North America and Russia. I know it will not be implemented in the LGC competition in Sweden (one of the longest running grip comps) and I know David Horne is not very enthusiastic about it.

Makes a circus of grip sport compared to the vastly more popular powerlifting and olympic lifting where they are sensible enough to carry out the lifting in a more organised way. Now you can stand like a fool and tear at an implement non-stop for a minute. I would not call that progress.

I can tell you one thing. There have been quite a few times that I have gone for an attempt on a weight I can easily do that slips the first time in competition. If one missed the second try on a slip, most likely, they are not going to get it. Grip is different than most other strength endeavors in that set up is everything. If your hand is not just right, even if you can lift he weight easily, you may miss it.  But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I like it.... some may not. That’s the way the cookie crook crumbles.

11 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

For competitions that I run that aren’t part of a larger mass comp I’ll be maintaining the old “one attempt” and not the “unlimited within a minute”. Especially if people have chances to place with David’s implements. 

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Considering the attempt rule changes, I am guessing these results won't be entered on the NAGS lists. (This is a case of apples and oranges.) Any word on this?  And...what about FBBC and BSS records?

GSI now recognizes results from contests run in this manner. An announcement was made a few months ago. BSS ans FBBC recognize them, too. David Horne is not a fan, but has agreed to recognize the King Kong MoonTop results on his site for records purposes and will see how things go.

While not a perfect comparison, I don’t think the difference will be enough to separate records lists. 

Friction is such an important factor in our sport, that I think the allowances for multiple attempts within 60 seconds makes sense. I think it’s a particularly more appealing format for newer competitors who don’t have a lot of experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I honestly like the rule because Grip is dependent on set up (hand placement, chalk etc). People make one tiny error and they are in trouble. I do understand the concerns about comparisons to old rules but I see this as progress.

I also believe all lifts should be to a crossbar like in this comp. easy to judge and no doubts about lockout etc (or a short guy taking a super sumo stance). I think the cross bar should be standard whenever possible 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

I honestly like the rule because Grip is dependent on set up (hand placement, chalk etc). People make one tiny error and they are in trouble. I do understand the concerns about comparisons to old rules but I see this as progress.

I also believe all lifts should be to a crossbar like in this comp. easy to judge and no doubts about lockout etc (or a short guy taking a super sumo stance). I think the cross bar should be standard whenever possible 

Truth! One wrong hand placement and your easy lift can destroy you

I think most of the gripsters in Finland support  the one minute rule on KK. It helps bring more people in the sport since friction and hand placement plays a a huge part. Not all the novice lifters get the friction and hand placement on point for the first lift ecpesially on things like Moontop. (even the most advanced have trouble getting it on point on Moontop).

Entry level competitions should be easy as possible for new lifters. I do agree that that if the competition is high level enough the one attempt rule could be considered. 

PS: I understand the time can be a limiting factor we huge venues. 

Edited by Mywor
  • Like 3

On 10/12/2018 at 5:27 AM, Eric Roussin said:

^This year it's up to the individual promoters.

Any design available to make those?

On 10/18/2018 at 10:09 AM, Boulderbrew said:

Quick question: in the rules document it reads, "The competitor is allowed to switch hands between attempts, as desired." Are we not allowed to switch hands during the one minute lifting window? Sorry if this has already been answered. 

Can someone explain to me in details if possible?

^I can send you the logo this evening.

As for the switching hands, competitors are free to do so at any time, as often as they want.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2sweetdadstrength said:

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but if anyone is traveling to the Gallatin Crossfit (Nashville competition) from Nashville and would be willing to let me ride with you, please PM me.  Trying to figure out an easy way to let my wife and kids keep the car and not have to be racing around all morning.  We're staying at Opryland in Nashville tonight.

Maybe post on the event’s Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/507236136348528/?ti=ia

• Like 1

Good luck to everyone who is competing tomorrow I hope you all have fun and hit some PRs! 

• Like 4

On 10/18/2018 at 7:17 AM, Boulderbrew said:

I like the idea of having one minute to just have at it . Lift the thing in a minutes time

When I ran it last weekend everyone thought the 1 minute to lift was a great idea. Added a lot of excitement to a lift if someone slipped and had to rechalk and go for another pull.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2018 at 10:08 AM, anwnate said:

FBBC records are for lack of a better term "loose" We have enough strict organizations I want to sit on the other end of spectrum. A record list for the Jug will be added to the site after this contest. 

• Like 6

Good luck everyone. Hope you all have fun and hit PRs!

• Like 3

Good luck all. We are done and results are sent to Eric and Andrew.

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 2

@Eric Roussin

Early feedback.  It would help increase participation if next year we can promote the comp within a given time range instead of all on the same date.  The reason being is since this is such a small sport, a lot of my local athletes had conflicts with bigger events.  There was really no way for me to work around it or predict it.  Just a thought for next year.  I should still have people just not the athletic diversity I was hoping for.  

58 minutes ago, Broc said:

@Eric Roussin

Early feedback.  It would help increase participation if next year we can promote the comp within a given time range instead of all on the same date.  The reason being is since this is such a small sport, a lot of my local athletes had conflicts with bigger events.  There was really no way for me to work around it or predict it.  Just a thought for next year.  I should still have people just not the athletic diversity I was hoping for.  

Broc. That's not a bad idea at all. I ran a week early and it didn't affect my athletes. Except they couldn't brag out the results right after. 

It never ended up helping me, but I really liked the 1 minute rule.  A lot of the newer guys benefited and anything we can do to help new people enjoy the sport is a great thing!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leonard_Washington said:

Will the results be posted on this thread or a completely new thread?

New thread called comp results most likely by Eric Roussin

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

It never ended up helping me, but I really liked the 1 minute rule.  A lot of the newer guys benefited and anything we can do to help new people enjoy the sport is a great thing!

I don't disagree, but it cost me a pulled something on my 4th attempt on the jug.  My right arm is out for a few weeks or months, but since I have neglected to balance my left, I will now focus on that while the right recovers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

New thread called comp results most likely by Eric Roussin

Can't wait!  But I suspect it will take a while to compile it all and put it in presentable form.  It was hard enough just figuring out the results for our 8-person venue!  Except we knew Chez won, because he did the most in each event so he got 4.  lol.

• Like 1