2018 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Eric Roussin

So how exactly does the multiple locations work? Is there one winner from the entire world, or does each location give prizes? Do you have to stream to see when others in your weight class are going? Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't done any comps before.

1 hour ago, DAVE101 said:

So how exactly does the multiple locations work? Is there one winner from the entire world, or does each location give prizes? Do you have to stream to see when others in your weight class are going? Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't done any comps before.

Each venue runs the contest independently, and then the results are combined to determine overall and class standings. The awards are given out based on combined results. (So, you can take first in a class at a particular venue, but out of the top three once all results are combined.) Each venue operates “in the dark” in that competitors don’t know which weights are being attempted in other venues.

The overall top worldwide finisher will be crowned “The King Kong of Grip”. In my opinion, this is currently the biggest achievement in all of grip sport.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, hope all of your training is going well for King Kong. I informed Eric that I will not be hosting a venue for King Kong in Missouri this year. Sorry if anyone planned to attend the Missouri venue. Currently, the hours I have with my job is going to prevent me from hosting (working nights for the next 6 months, no normal weekends off, and potentially been held over for days).

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Uh oh.... that may mean we are all doomed!

You'll be okay, I'll be doomed with all the extra featherweights haha. 

No official plans have been made to film a video for this year’s contest. It’s a good idea. Some were made for past King Kong contests.

@Andrew P

first pic moon top Gen2 from 2018 don't work well with the origininal pen. but fit good with a 6mm screw or something similar

second pic moontop Gen2 from 2017 fits perfect but the total lenght from pin + moontop Gen2 is 1/2" shorter

(additional note. moontop Gen2 from 2017 dont fits the original horne loading pin with standard 8mm screw but nice with 6mm screw)

20180813_194716.jpg

20180813_194735.jpg

Edited by corefire

omnipin carabiner attachement from ground ~13 1/2" (34.5cm)

omnipin pen attachement from ground ~ 11 5/8" (29.5cm)

20180813_200835.jpg

20180813_200742.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Share this with people needing more info about King Kong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently acquired a FBBC 2.5 Inch Jug. The raw steel was pretty slick. When I chalked my hands, the device squirted right out of my hand on a weight I had easily handled raw. 

The videos I see on Youtube sure as heck look like very "well seasoned" implements. This gadget has not even been around very long, no? "Seasoning" is usually a long process, or at least it has been for me. I found that the FBBC vertical bars were a piece of cake to "season". This seems different. Does this mean that the King Kong venues with the best "metal chefs" will produce better results for the athletes at their locations? 

If my observations are correct, seems like promoters whose Jug is removed from the shipping package the day of the event would be doing their athletes a disservice.

Asking because I am curious.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

If my observations are correct, seems like promoters whose Jug is removed from the shipping package the day of the event would be doing their athletes a disservice.

100% correct...the same with the moontop and crusher. However, this also goes for the flask in a slightly different way.  While not corroded, the flask can build up a chalk texture that is similar to concrete. We are talking 15kg differences in lifts.

Regarding multivenue comps...unless we have all aluminum implements that are wiped down prior to each lift, such competitive disparities will always exist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

I recently acquired a FBBC 2.5 Inch Jug. The raw steel was pretty slick. When I chalked my hands, the device squirted right out of my hand on a weight I had easily handled raw. 

The videos I see on Youtube sure as heck look like very "well seasoned" implements. This gadget has not even been around very long, no? "Seasoning" is usually a long process, or at least it has been for me. I found that the FBBC vertical bars were a piece of cake to "season". This seems different. Does this mean that the King Kong venues with the best "metal chefs" will produce better results for the athletes at their locations? 

An aluminum implement, with a little work can be chalked up pretty darn good on the first session. The two steel implements are a little different, but my devices didn't get any kind of special treatment other than chalking them up, lifting, waiting a week, and rechalking, and they were able to hold chalk like the Flask. For me this process represented a 5% improvement on lifts.

• Like 1

Seasoning differences will always be a problem with grip. That’s why I always tell people the only fair comparison is against the guys at your location pulling on the same implements. I have seen huge differences in implements and conditions (humidity etc)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

To make it truly objective... every device would have to be new, fresh, with no seasoning in order for it not to be a factor. 

Thanks guys. It made me look up FBBC’s top 1 inch Vbar lifts. Five of the “over 300” lifts list were done at the same place in the same contest (including the only over 400 lbs. lift ever) on my bar. I think the conditions of my garage and the use it was subject to just made it that sort of bar. That was at a contest in LA in 2006, I had forgotten about that. I never set out to make it anything special, but all the competitors thought it was supercool.

I guess the promoters do have a bit of responsibility with the implements they bring to the venues, especially at a worldwide event like this.

• Like 2

we had already run some meets with many athletes on our king kong implements, all now very good chalk holding and friction will be no factor.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:51 PM, Hubgeezer said:

Thanks guys. It made me look up FBBC’s top 1 inch Vbar lifts. Five of the “over 300” lifts list were done at the same place in the same contest (including the only over 400 lbs. lift ever) on my bar. I think the conditions of my garage and the use it was subject to just made it that sort of bar. That was at a contest in LA in 2006, I had forgotten about that. I never set out to make it anything special, but all the competitors thought it was supercool.

I guess the promoters do have a bit of responsibility with the implements they bring to the venues, especially at a worldwide event like this.

Hows the jug now? My experience is that steel grade seasons quickly. Mine looked 3 years old after about a dozen or so workouts. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hows the jug now? My experience is that steel grade seasons quickly. Mine looked 3 years old after about a dozen or so workouts. 

I have not tried to season it, put no chalk on my hands. for whatever reason, every week it seems easier.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Middle East Grip Organization might enter. Contacted Eric and others, everything is well but all I need is a Moon Top. Anyone care to sell us one? David Horne is out of stock. Need it ASAP to make a final decision. 

• Like 2

Found it thanks all

On 9/16/2018 at 7:28 AM, Andrew P said:

Same with mine. At first it was slick but seasoned up very fast. With chalk it has excellent texture.