Jump to content
Eric Roussin

2018 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Recommended Posts

Eric Roussin

6th Annual International King Kong Grip Challenge


Saturday, October 27th, 2018


Multi-City Mega Contest


Events:

Flask One Hand Pinch Deadlift (Barrel Strength)
2.5” Crusher (FBBC)
MoonTop (World of Grip)
2.5” Jug (FBBC)


Weight Classes:

Men: 59 kg / 66 kg / 74 kg / 83 kg / 93 kg / 105 kg / 120 kg / 120+ kg
Women: 72 kg / 72+ kg
Men 50+ Years: Open


4 attempts, rising bar format

Reverse Strongman Scoring


Prizes:

Custom King Kong gorilla sculptures for the following:

• All class champions
• The overall top lifter in each event
• The best pound-for-pound performance
• The overall champion ("The King Kong of Grip")

Medals for 2nd and 3rd place finishers in each class


Confirmed venues and promoters (so far):

North America:

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - Eric Roussin
Detroit, Michigan, USA - Andrew Pantke
Brentwood, Tennessee, USA – Gil Goodman
Mindoro, Wisconsin, USA - Allen Heineck
Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, USA - Jedd Johnson
San Diego, California, USA – Riccardo Magni and Odd Haugen

Astoria, Queens, New York, USA - Anton Torrella

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - Bryan Hunsaker

Boulder, Colorado, USA - Marc Brotherson 

Europe:

London, England - Dan Thomas
Norway – Thomas Larsen
Italy – Aldo Alberico
Iisalmi, Finland - Jouni Mähönen

Järvenpää, Finland - Harri Tolonen
Moscow, Russia - Andrey Terenyev

Ukraine - Ivan Pupchenko

Austria - Patsy and Sirko Petermann

Oceania:

Melbourne, Australia - Andrew Lea


Discussions with several other possible promoters are currently underway and additional venues will be announced as they are confirmed.


Anyone else who is interested in hosting a venue, please send me a PM or contact me by email at eroussin@rogers.com for more information.


Further details to come…

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WestSlope
Posted (edited)

Is the Jug 2"Ø  or 2.5"Ø? FBBC site has a 2"Ø, but not a 2.5"Ø that I see.

Edited by WestSlope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin

2.5" - It's a new size and they aren't in stock just yet. An announcement will be made once they are ready (likely by the end of the month).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez

Looking forward to this. Never tried a moon top so that should interesting figuring out hand placement etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boulderbrew

Nice! I am really excited about this. Does anyone know the diameter of the MoonTop? David Horne’s website doesn’t give specifics from what I could find.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin

4”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew P

Yes the 2.5" Jug will be a new item. But yes it's just like all the other vertical trainers out there. 

2.5" to knock the weight down. And it's going to be heavy wall raw steel to take paint out the the equation. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2018 at 3:16 PM, WestSlope said:

Is the Jug 2"Ø  or 2.5"Ø? FBBC site has a 2"Ø, but not a 2.5"Ø that I see.

You can make a device like this very easy if you want to train before the real thing becomes available. All you need is a pipe, pipe reducer and a carabiner. This pipe is about 2.5 inches OD Maybe 2 3/8 inch. Will give you the option to get a head start.Waaayyy harder than the 2 inch one piece VBAR

 

 

Edited by Joseph Sullivan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WestSlope
32 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You can make a device like this very easy if you want to train before the real thing becomes available. All you need is a pipe, pipe reducer and a carabiner. This pipe is about 2.5 inches OD Maybe 2 3/8 inch. Will give you the option to get a head start.Waaayyy harder than the 2 inch one piece VBAR

Thanks Joe. I already have an FBBC 2.5"Ø v-bar head I can use. I'll likely use the head on the v-bar base to create a base and then place a shackle on the head for the last month or so up to a peak. I'm guessing Andrew is going to use DOM (drawn over mandrel) pipe to make it right at 2.5"Ø . That type of pipe is used for the IM axle. It's nice pipe and takes chalk quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
9 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Thanks Joe. I already have an FBBC 2.5"Ø v-bar head I can use. I'll likely use the head on the v-bar base to create a base and then place a shackle on the head for the last month or so up to a peak. I'm guessing Andrew is going to use DOM (drawn over mandrel) pipe to make it right at 2.5"Ø . That type of pipe is used for the IM axle. It's nice pipe and takes chalk quite well.

You’re welcome brother! Always nice to have a cheap alternative.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin

Europe will be very well represented this year: Ukraine and Austria have confirmed their participation!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corefire
Posted (edited)

we are looking forward to a good competition here in the hall of pain of austria

Edited by corefire
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew P

@WestSlope

Your 100% correct. I just got done cleaning up the 1st set of 20. I'll get some pics up soon. 

Personally I would have preferred the Legends Anvil or the 2.5" Vbar as a new vertical event but this will keep the costs down much better than the other two options. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

@WestSlope

Your 100% correct. I just got done cleaning up the 1st set of 20. I'll get some pics up soon. 

Personally I would have preferred the Legends Anvil or the 2.5" Vbar as a new vertical event but this will keep the costs down much better than the other two options. 

 

Legends anvil would have been SICK! Would love one of those!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin

We’re stepping things up this year. Each class champion will win one of these babies!

9EE0129E-22E6-4202-AEE6-C34D7BA9DCDF.jpeg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
6 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

We’are stepping things up this year. Each class champion will win one of these babies!

9EE0129E-22E6-4202-AEE6-C34D7BA9DCDF.jpeg

Wow that is beautiful! Awesome trophies and prizes may tempt some more people to get into this sport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chez

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leonard_Washington

Eric, what is the height of the moon top (top of the base plate to the top of the hemisphere). World of Grip shop doesn't say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin
8 minutes ago, Leonard_Washington said:

Eric, what is the height of the moon top (top of the base plate to the top of the hemisphere). World of Grip shop doesn't say.

I'm not sure. I haven't received my new version yet. I can let you know once I receive it, but perhaps someone else here can provide this information?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corefire

MoonTop dimensions
Dimensions of MoonTop by David Horne:
Circumference – 15.5”
Diameter – 4.9”
Height – 2.4”

 

quelle: gripopaedia vol.4

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VITALIK SEVKO

What rules of raising of a 2,5" jug will be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin

This will be determined soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VITALIK SEVKO
42 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

This will be determined soon.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric Roussin

A new location has been added. Anton Torrella will be hosting a venue in Astoria, Queens, NY!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rsmdon

Is anyone considering  hosting a venue within a days drive from Billings Mt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.