Log

acorn

Came to the realization over the weekend when trying to do some 1H Axle DL work that I can no longer touch the tip of my thumb and middle finger around the 2" bar.

Hand Thickness on point!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Signed up for a USPA PL meet on Oct 27th for Bench Only and Master div. Looking forward to giving it a try and see if I can get close to 400# with a proper pause in a sanctioned meet.

- Aaron

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Keep that pec healthy and good luck!

Thanks and I am trying. Soreness starting to subside a little from last Weds workout on schedule for this coming one.

Last night I worked up to a paused single on Bench for my intended opener in my contest gear. Got the Singlet in yesterday and had it on under my Tshirt and shorts to get the feel for it. Ditched the elbow sleeves on top 2 singles as well. Got 385# for for the top one with brief pause as well as hold before and after to simulate start, press, and rack commands. Had someone call those on 365x1 set before but they were not handy on the top set. I think the 385 moved reasonably quick, though it definitely felt heavy with the pause. Dropped down to 9x315 with no pauses after. May have had another rep in me but was running out of steam so went ahead and racked it. 2 1/2 weeks out from PL meet right now and plan to start lightening up as CNS was feeling pretty beat up. OHP was subpar and did not hit intended double at 245. Only got a single there. Grippers 169# #3.5 I got for 4 with block set swipes last week I barely got for 1. Felt pretty wiped out physically and CNS wise. Glad I tested in contest gear though so I have some idea what it is gonna feel like. 

- Aaron

• Like 3

Wow. Solid pause and then you launched it like a rocket ship!

20 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Wow. Solid pause and then you launched it like a rocket ship!

Thanks buddy. I'm planning to do this 175kg for the opener, 180kg for the 2nd and think I can get that. Then if that goes well shoot for 182.5 or 185 for the 3rd. Will be my first real PL comp. Also noticed that the class I am doing in USPA doesn't have a state record for Masters 45-49, 308 class, BP only. So maybe that will happen somehow.

The guy spotting me was bugging me hard to try 405 but I am glad I didn't cave. Trying to save it for the comp.

Edited by acorn
  • Like 3

Yeah, I think you made the right call saving it for the meet. No doubt 402 will happen. 

• Like 1

White lights on that Aaron. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally brought my Inch DB into the gym last night. Wasn't planning on doing anything with it but had to show a few folks that yes it could be lifted. Got 4 singles on it RH and broke it off the ground solidly LH for the first time. Powerlifting comp on this coming Sunday, USPA. Doing Bench only in an old man division. Wish me luck.

• Like 5

I did a USPA powerlifting meet over the weekend. Did Bench only and Masters 45-49 class. I ended up setting a Arizona state record for the 140kg class (weighed in at 127.7kg) top successful lift was 175Kg (385.8#) and missed at 182.5kg (402.3#) Happy I got out there and gave it a go and will likely do another of these. 

my 365 1st attempt

My 385 2nd.

My miss at 402#

• Like 1

Great lifting Aaron. Holy cow the kidlings are getting big!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Great lifting Aaron. Holy cow the kidlings are getting big!

They sure are. I would bet Joon is 4' 10" or taller now. She put her hand up to Heidi's this morning and it was the same size. Joon is 9.

Edited by acorn

18 minutes ago, acorn said:

They sure are. I would bet Joon is 4' 10" or taller now. She put her hand up to Heidi's this morning and it was the same size. Joon is 9.

Wow! Incredible how quick time flies. Best meet back up before we're both geezers.

• Like 1

Trained last night. Still a little sore in the pecs from the PL meet on Sunday and plan to change focus somewhat for the next few weeks so didn't bench last night. Squatted for the first time in months though. Worked up to top set of 5x 315 on those and pretty happy with that. Also did a few Inch Lifts RH, attempts LH and Grippers. Grippers top set was 20x 134# #2.5 with Block set swipe each rep. LH was 20x 117# Master with Block set swipe each rep. Did 225 for a double on Standing overhead Press and a bit of tricep and shoulder accessory work. BW at PL meet was 281.5# on Sunday. Last night was 283 fully clothed, etc. I seem to be losing weight.

- Aaron

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Training going decent on the powerlifts. I started adding Oly DL and Squat back in 3 weeks ago with the thought of doing a full powerlifting comp next year or 2. Saturday pulled 435x3 DL. Yesterday I hit 3x365 and 8x325. The 435# DL is the most weight I have pulled off the ground in any manner since I hurt my back in 97' so ecstatic about that. I think the 3x365 matches my squat PR though I may have done that for 4 once close to a year ago. 3rd workout back doing those for both. Also hit 9x235 on Incline bench and 7x185 on strict lying tricep press to the chin. Stuff is moving the right direction. Knocked out an easy 10 parallel grip pullups at 285 BW also. Grippers hit 149# #3 for a double with blockset LH and 169# #3.5 with blockset RH. The LH I was happy with. RH was less than expected. All in all a good birthday workout yesterday. Bit sore today.

- Aaron

• Like 3

Training from Saturday went well. Pulled a DL PR. Most weight I have pulled off the ground in any way since I destroyed my back in 97'. Did it DO no hook grip on oly bar - 455#. Very happy with that and that was after 3x405 with dead stop reps. Also got a solid single 1 hand pinch RH at 120# on my CTS Saxon Flip top  (2x4"), 110# LH, and 280 2HP on it. Worked up to 171x6 or 7 on the 2 1/4" Crusher RH  and got a rep PR LH on the weight I did there. Good stuff all around. BW was 284#. Current PL goals are 400+ Bench with pause. 405# Squat and 215Kg or 475# DL by end of year.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
added videos
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, acorn said:

Training from Saturday went well. Pulled a DL PR. Most weight I have pulled off the ground in any way since I destroyed my back in 97'. Did it DO no hook grip on oly bar - 455#. Very happy with that and that was after 3x405 with dead stop reps. Also got a solid single 1 hand pinch RH at 120# on my CTS Saxon Flip top  (2x4"), 110# LH, and 280 2HP on it. Worked up to 171x6 or 7 on the 2 1/4" Crusher RH  and got a rep PR LH on the weight I did there. Good stuff all around. BW was 284#. Current PL goals are 400+ Bench with pause. 405# Squat and 215Kg or 475# DL by end of year.

- Aaron

💪💪💪💪🦞🦞🦞🦞🦞🦞🦞🦞

• Haha 1

Squat PR last night. 5x375. Incline Bench went 8x250, and lying tricep extensions to chin went 7x 190#. Grippers were feeling good in warmup but top worksets were to be done after top set on incline which was a grinder on the last rep. Grippers felt super weak after that and could not get 169# #3.5 for a block set single closed. Should have been able to get 3-5 reps like that. So shut down grippers work after that. Other than gripper work gym time was productive. Sore today all over.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Training was great last night for everything but grippers. Had PR on squats,  Bench and lying tricep extensions or skullcrushers to teeth.

Squats hit 4x 405# top set. A PR since my back injury. Bench hit 405 single then 6x 335. Slayed that 4 plate dragon again at 46. 22yrs since the last time I was over that. Skullcrushers finished at 6x195#. Was totally wiped by the end but worth it.

• Like 4

Training in general has been going pretty well though Grip training has been flat or erratic results wise. Time to make some changes with that. In the last week hit 3x 425 DO oly DL with pauses at bottom, 5x 405 squat and 6x 335 bench. Grippers never went higher than a #1.5 in last session on Weds. Last night I pulled out the Beast and did 4 hard eccentrics each side. finger flexors sore today. 

Edit: Cool side note on squats. 10/31 started doing them again and hit 5x315. on 12/11 hit 5x405. 

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
adding cool side notes
  • Like 1