Log

acorn

Last night used the Beast again. 5x hard eccentrics per side. Plus heavy timed holds on thumb trainer. Sore today.

• Like 2

Oh yeah and got 3x 435 on DO Oly DL with pauses last weekend too. Tweaked my back a little on that though. Still nursing it and going to Deload today on squats.

• Like 2

Last night I deloaded squats and only went to 275#, Bench I went as high as 325. Last set on 325 was a 6+, Barely got it to pins on 8th rep so not quite a lockout on that rep.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Merry Christmas Ya'll!

I made it in xmas eve to the gym. Maxed on squats for year end number. Went as high as 425# for a single. Back was not loving it so I decided not to go any higher. Post injury PR. Bench went well also. Worked up to a 3RM at 170kg ish (I think bar was 45# not 20kg) so probably about 3x375# after that dropped down and hit 7x 150kg or 334# as well. Lastly hit 6x200# on Lying tricep extension to the teeth. Good day. Still sore today. Tried grippers later in the evening but they felt like crap and didn't go higher than a #3. Probably the saxon work and thickbar work from last weekend still healing.

Edit: Bars were 20kg not 45#. Texas Power Bars.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 2

Awesome way to wrap up 2019!

Did more year end testing on Friday. They had a Deadlift party at the gym. I managed to pull 210kg or 462#. Back was hurting so I didn't go any higher. Went conventional up to 200kg then sumoish pull on the 210kg due to back already acting up. The gym got some video of the various lifters for instagram and I am 5th one in the set. After that did some Saxon bar, blob, Saxon Flip top, 2 slick ivanko 45's pinch with little chalk 1HP. Blob got a nice front raise RH, and 2 finger and thumb lift. Didn't quite have enough steam left to get a clean though. Was after Saxon maxing, saxon workout, Saxon flip top maxing and training, etc.

Saxon bar topped out at 260#. Couldn't get the chalk right and felt slick. Saxon flip top I topped out at 290 and got 300# a few inches.

• Like 4

Trained on Thurs and Saturday. Felt really flat on Thurs. Got 380 for a nice double though on Bench. Wanted 3 but didn't have a spotter and would have been close so I racked it rather than potential miss. After that got 340 for 6 reps and 225 for 12 on JM press. First time trying that. Got 45# plate for 18 on dips to finish off with BW around 285. Squats only went as high as 365 for a double as back was hurtful. Chest and arms still sore from all that stuff. Saturday I skipped regular DL as I am letting back calm down still. Focused on Saxon DL, 1H pinch and timed holds on the Saxon Flip top. Went as high as 260 for 3 singles on the full saxon bar. multiple 5 sec holds at 255 on the Saxon flip top. Deep Forearms, thumb muscles and hand muscles, especially big meaty part in palm below pinky are all still real sore. Skipped grippers this last week and thickbar for that matter.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
Adding info
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Well yesterday took a turn for the worse. Tore my bicep. Just came from ultrasound appt and it looks like the tendon tore, or tore off the bone. Not training related at all. Trying to catch our big strong new dog that had escaped. Tried to grab his collar to stop him as he ran by at full speed (Great Dane / Greyhound mix) yesterday afternoon. My PT doc buddy was able to get me in first thing this morning and call in a favor to get me in to get an ultrasound with a local sports medicine doctor this afternoon. Supposed to meet with the surgeon next week (also a favor called in by my PT doc buddy).

- Aaron

• Sad 4

Damn buddy! Wishing you a speedy recovery and a pupper that listens. 

• Thanks 1

This is a real shame, Aaron. You’ll be back stronger than before. No doubt about it. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Surgery to reattach the bicep in a couple days. Will let you guys know how it goes.

- Aaron

• Like 3

Hope it all goes well. Maybe get the 10mm wire rope instead of the factory 6mm that you came with. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Hope it all goes well. Maybe get the 10mm wire rope instead of the factory 6mm that you came with. 

If that was an option upgrade I would go for it. Maybe some Adamantium attachments as well.

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, acorn said:

Surgery to reattach the bicep in a couple days. Will let you guys know how it goes.

- Aaron

I hope all goes well Aaron. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FrankD said:

I hope all goes well Aaron. 

Thank you. Hope so too.

Well I survived the surgery yesterday.  Doc says it went great and I should expect full recovery. 

• Like 4

Really good news, Aaron!

• Thanks 1

Awesome news!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Started back recently after like 16 months off from all training. I've retired from competing but will see how some training goes. Starting point in mid July was 185x6 Bench and #2 on grippers. Training once a week and up to 265x9 last session. About 345ish.

• Like 6

Great to hear you’re training again big guy 👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 2

Trained today at lunchtime. Skipped arm work due to time. Left bicep still not right post tendon tear and surgical repair. Sits back about 2" further than original or right one.

warmup

Bench

10x bar

5x 135#

3x 185#

3x225#

3x275#

5x 295#

8x 225#

Standing OHP

5x bar

6x 155#

May try to get some grippers in later today or tomorrow. Messing with them couple times a week on one of my programs that got me up to #4 level one of the times I was there.

• Like 5

Did a gripper test day today. Closed a 160# Elite RH, and 120# LH. LH also attempted a 134# #2.5 and missed by about 3/16". So grippers are coming along. Didn't feel like digging all the grippers out to test higher than closes.

- Aaron

• Like 4

Did 1HP work on the Saxon flip top today and gripper work sets.

Saxon top worked up to 84# for 6sec hold LH and reps plus 10+ sec hold on RH

- Aaron

Edit: First pinch work since starting back 2 months ago.

Edited by acorn
  • Like 2