Log

acorn

32 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

You smoked that easy👏👍💪 very impressive and the 345 x4 is beast

Thanks buddy. Felt like it nearly stalled mid way up when I was doing it. Pretty happy with it though. Form seemed to hold together pretty well as well. Getting closer to my 405 goal. Pretty happy with the 345x4. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, acorn said:

Thanks buddy. Felt like it nearly stalled mid way up when I was doing it. Pretty happy with it though. Form seemed to hold together pretty well as well. Getting closer to my 405 goal. Pretty happy with the 345x4. 

You are very powerful no doubt. Your goal is very close💪

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Is that one set of 20 at 316 lbs on dips? Huge if so. How are your elbows and shoulders holding up?

Set of 20 with a 25# plate held between my legs and bw was 291 last night. So yeah total weight was 316, not doing dips with 316 hanging from a belt. Elbows and shoulders feeling it a bit, however the sore left shoulder is doing better than it was before I switched from bench to incline for 2 months. I brought my grip in narrower a good bit on the bench once I switched back and that seemed to help. Did first 3 workouts with tip of thumb at inner knurling line. Last night I moved grip out 1" to pinkies just inside ring and it still felt ok. Muscles sore most places upper body today. Thought I would try the dips again as I have been doing overhead tricep extensions and had worked up to 145x6 on that but my tricep tendon at elbow and elbows were really feeling beat up with that. Dips were not as bad on this last night. I really need to stretch the next few days with this soreness and tightness though.

• Like 2

Progress happening on the compound lifts. Got a Bench PR, Overhead Press PR, Dips PR, and Curls PR last night. Tried something a little different thatI think worked very well. Been reading some Josh Bryant stuff and have been using CAT (Compensatory Acceleration Training) in my lighter sets. Last night I also tried to take advantage of PAP (Post Activation Potentiation). I setup a bench in the power rack with safety pins right at my sticking point and another set just below lockout. About 6" between them. Loaded the bar up to 365 initially on my last set before top workset on regular bench and pressed from bottom pin to top pin and do hard isometric against top pin for 4 sec. Did this at both 365 and 385# for the PAP effect. This would be a isotonic movement if I remember right. Then I did my top workset on regular bench 5min after last PAP lockout and I got an extra rep beyond what I even had hoped for. Felt damn light when I picked it up at start of set. I ended up getting 9x 315 instead of the 8x I was hoping for, a 2 rep PR over last time I repped 315. Everything else went well after this went better. Also PR'ed on Overhead press with 3x225 and Dips at 20r with 45# plate added and bw at 292. Curls I got 145 for 8 or 9r. Pretty good night. Grippers were ok but not stellar.

Edited by acorn
  • Like 5

Several years ago, Richard Sorin put together a plan to get me to my first 300lb bench.  On singles day, before my top lift, he would always have me load an extra 50 on the bar, unrack it and do a couple 2" presses to lockout.  Rack it, take the 25s off, and go for the single.  Really made a huge difference.   Every PR felt light when unracking it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, acorn said:

Progress happening on the compound lifts. Got a Bench PR, Overhead Press PR, Dips PR, and Curls PR last night. Tried something a little different thatI think worked very well. Been reading some Josh Bryant stuff and have been using CAT (Compensatory Acceleration Training) in my lighter sets. Last night I also tried to take advantage of PAP (Post Activation Potentiation). I setup a bench in the power rack with safety pins right at my sticking point and another set just below lockout. About 6" between them. Loaded the bar up to 365 initially on my last set before top workset on regular bench and pressed from bottom pin to top pin and do hard isometric against top pin for 4 sec. Did this at both 365 and 385# for the PAP effect. This would be a isotonic movement if I remember right. Then I did my top workset on regular bench 5min after last PAP lockout and I got an extra rep beyond what I even had hoped for. Felt damn light when I picked it up at start of set. I ended up getting 9x 315 instead of the 8x I was hoping for, a 2 rep PR over last time I repped 315. Everything else went well after this went better. Also PR'ed on Overhead press with 3x225 and Dips at 20r with 45# plate added and bw at 292. Curls I got 145 for 8 or 9r. Pretty good night. Grippers were ok but not stellar.

Beast on all fronts!! WOW!! Congrats Aaron on a siick workout and the PR's

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I had a chance to get to the gym. We were on vacation in the midwest and I never had a chance so it has been 3 weeks since I trained last. Other than squeezing a couple grippers when I met up with Allen and Matt Cannon I did not grip work either. It was a nice recovery layoff / deload. Last night I wanted to see how much I lost. I'm thinking about doing a powerlifting comp at the end of October. Either Bench only or Push / Pull since squat has been bugging my back too much the last few months. Anyway I didn't lose much on the layoff. Topped out at 3x365 on bench followed with a 8x315. Also got 169# #3.5 for a double on grippers and 8x 145 on curls and overhead tricep press. Finisher was Gripper kettlebell bouncies. Havent done those in a few years. Sore everywhere today but it was really good to get back in the gym.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I dinged my left pec a little last week on bench day so backing off a little to rehab that. Does not seem to be too bad. I made it as far as my triples at 315 on warmup and decided to shut it down before I made it worse and had to have a major layoff. Following that I managed a 6x205 on standing strict press. Pretty happy with that. Grippers were fair but not impressive.

Saturday had a long 3 1/2 hr training session to cover most of the other event work for the legends comp coming up. Got a nice 281# pinch on the Saxon. Most I've pulled on it since it was painted and most done in the last 3 yrs otherwise I think. 290 alltime training best on it when it was bare steel a few years ago so pretty happy with the 281. Also did some blob work, 1 hand pinch work on the saxon pivot top up to singles at 110, FBBC Anvil work, Inch Handle work up to 162#, Work on 2 3/8 axle up to 335# and a few other things. Still sore today.

Edited by acorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WestSlope said:

Strong pulls! Do you think you'll hit 300 lb on the Saxon bar at Legends? I wonder if a 300 lb Saxon lift ever been recorded?

I have no idea what I may hit. All depends on whether or not I can hook up on the bar. Last legends I had a hell of a time doing that and bombed out way sooner than expected. At this point I am hoping I can hook up on the bar and hit at least 280ish since I just did that. Adam came close on this bar when they came out for Regionals this spring. If anyone has done a 300# saxon lift it is probably him.

- Aaron

• Like 1

At the AZ regional (bw 95 kg) I had 296 to my knees. 289 to full lift. I think if I would have saved a few lower lifts during the LMS I may have lifted the 296 and broke 301 off the floor to some height....speculative only of course...I also believe that pinch was best bw to weight pinch lift ratio of any contest done (1.38xbw) but only the records guys would know for certain. 

I believe I’ll exceed 300 within 3 weeks when I get a 2 x 5 Saxon. I’ll get 300 on my 2.5 Saxon by next March (current best 283) 

I own a swivel 2x4x6 Saxon set up which is not identical to a straight bar but is a pinch, top lift 340. Right now I’m about 330 on that set up with this elbow pain thing. 

Aaron I couldn’t hang with your pinch snatches and clean. Serious strength 💪💪💪💪💪

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 2

Pinch was not quite as good this last weekend. Had trouble hooking up on the painted surface again. Only 261. Grippers were pretty decent last week on Weds though. So that is something. Also got 4x225# on Standing Overhead press last Weds, and 5x 275# on Incline Bench which didn't bug the pec injury. That's both a current PR. This morning I went in for first PT session on my pec issue and got acupuncture on shoulder and pec. That was less than fun.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 4

Did a deload workout on Saturday. Pretty light and low volume. Still felt like I was hit by a truck later that day. Good thing I am deloading. Did 3rd session of PT on my pec and shoulder this morning. Accupuncture again and more stretching / PT exercises. Last PT session they did Laser work. That felt pretty good. Flying out in the morning for Ohio and Legends Comp. Looking forward to visiting with old and new friends.

- Aaron

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Still sore from comp last weekend. Trained yesterday (but not grip) and also tested bench a little. Still doing PT on the left pec. Benching did not hurt but I want to ease back into it so didn't go beyond 55% of 1RM for 5reps.

Top sets:

Bench 5x225

Standing Overhead Press (strict) Axle - 5x 215#

Standing Curl (strict) Axle - 8x 125#

• Like 2

Yes, great performance, Aaron!

Total gripper devastation. 

14 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Congratulations on taking 3rd at LL. Strong showing with grippers, Saxon and picking the Inch. What did you think of the hammer event? Others have written that in wasn't really a test wrist strength, but it looked like it was the way you did it.

Thank you! The hammer was tough. I had not trained with a double hammer at all. Only single a few times and never exceeding a 10# hammer. I have not watched any video of any of the events, mine or otherwise. All I know is I could definitely feel it in my wrists and forearms on the 25# and the attempted 27.5# hammers. Thought I had perhaps injured wrists a bit after the 27.5 attempt but they felt better the next day with some rest and hot epsom salt bath soak. I was happy with the way grippers went. Felt reasonably strong on them. On Saxon and Axle I never felt like I really was hooking up solid on the bar. I should have brought my own chalk. I ended up using whatever was in the chalk bucket and it felt like talcum powder to me. Later after those events Luke offered for me to use some of his chalk which worked better when I got to the Inch and blob event. Felt like I was getting proper friction with that. Live and learn.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Yes, great performance, Aaron!

Total gripper devastation. 

Thanks buddy!

• Like 1

Yesterday I had another PT session. They did some Graston scraping on my left pec, shoulder, lat, tricep and forearm. Some places it was painful but wonderful. Others it was excruciating and bruising. Most places it felt super crunchy as they scraped. Lots of scar tissue and adhesions according to the guy doing it. Yay!

• Like 2

Had PT yesterday morning. Pec got needled again and he hit the nerve cluster first try. Ouchy. 

Last night I did a little bench, grippers and Standing OHP. Bench I went as high as 3x315 paused (about 75% of previous 1RM) to test how it felt. Grippers I went not too heavy. No higher than a #3 for bunch of blockset reps. Got a PR on the Standing OHP though. Worked up to 6x 215 on the axle. Missed 7th rep half way up. Strict with no dip. Followed a few minutes later with slow grinding max at 265# 

• Like 3

Trained last night Did more testing the waters on Bench last night first. Worked up to a very fast and technically sound paused single at 365. Pretty happy with that. Next did a circuit of grippers, standing OHP and curls. Worked up to 4x 169# #3.5, 5x 225# OHP and strict curl 3x 165#

Happy with the numbers as I felt super flat at the beginning and all the way through bench. Didn't start feeling like I was warming up til last set of bench. before the other stuff.

Aaron

• Like 4

Trained a little axle last weekend both cleans and DL. Felt pretty weak though. Worked up to 3 sets of 2 or 3 at 175 on the clean. Cleaned first rep from ground then catch and hang clean next 2 reps without setting down. DL worked up to 335 conventional then 355 Sumo with long hold at top on the singles.

Last night had a very good session and sore today.

Worked up to 365 x 3 on bench. First 2 reps of the 3 rep set were paused with someone giving press signal. I call that a PR. followed with drop set at 9x315# of touch and go.

OHP worked up to 5x225#. Last rep was tough but not limit. Better than last time I did this weight.

Grippers worked up to 2x 149# #3 Block set reps LH, and 4x 169# #3.5 Block set reps with a 2x 176# Block set reps set following. Not sure I got a full close on 2nd rep of that though. Would be close either way.

Watching the video it kinda looks like my thumb pad and heel of hand muscle are starting to look like a butt. Or is it just me seeing that and wishful thinking?

• Like 4