Log

acorn

Saxon bar is looking pretty good there.

PS did you ever post my 70 year old records from Gripmas onto the Top 50 Lists?

9 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Saxon bar is looking pretty good there.

PS did you ever post my 70 year old records from Gripmas onto the Top 50 Lists?

Thanks. I painted the bar with texture paint last weekend. Was having some trouble with it slipping with the new coating compared to plain chalk before now. Not sure it fully cured with the cold weather. Gonna try and work some more chalk into it and see if I can get it figured out. Or maybe it just didn't come out as I expected. 

The results are in the database but I need to modify the SQL code to make it show the results from each different age/weight class and not just the highest value per weight class.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

The results are in the database but I need to modify the SQL code to make it show the results from each different age/weight class and not just the highest value per weight class.

In English this means they don't show up yet :) 

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

In English this means they don't show up yet :) 

Correctly interpreted. :)

Did a bit of high rep thumb work on my custom TTK like tool yesterday as well as some high rep wrist levers. Left arm front lever hurt like hell due to elbow issue on those and so just did a few slow negs to work on the tendon inflammation.

- Aaron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acorn said:

Did a bit of high rep thumb work on my custom TTK like tool yesterday as well as some high rep wrist levers. Left arm front lever hurt like hell due to elbow issue on those and so just did a few slow negs to work on the tendon inflammation.

- Aaron

I got the same trouble, only it’s my right elbow.  I believe I did it on a reverse bend, after a forever hiatus from bending. Glad front levers aren’t the wrist event for April!

21 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

I got the same trouble, only it’s my right elbow.  I believe I did it on a reverse bend, after a forever hiatus from bending. Glad front levers aren’t the wrist event for April!

Hate it. I hope both of ours heal up soon.

• Like 1

Had a really good training session last night. Still fighting with sore left elbow but it is thankfully not affecting too much. Sore as hell today.

2/6/2019

Squats (No Belt, forgot at home)

5x 135#, 5x 185#, 3x 225#, 3x 295#, 3x 315#, 4x 335#

Bench

5x 135#, 5x 165#, 3x 225#, 3x 265# (brief pause reps), 3x 280# (brief pause reps), 7x 295# (first 6 reps paused)

Grippers 10x #T, 6x #1.5

LH - 5x #2, 3x 134# #2.5, Almost 3 x 149# #3 (20mm block set reps) PR

RH - 5x 134# #2.5, 5x 149# #3, 3x 169# #3.5 (20mm block set reps) PR

Lying Tricep Extensions (past head) - 8x 155#

1 Arm Bent over Barbell Row - 5x 155# per arm

Grip work on new Prototype

DB Hammer Curls - LH - 10x 50#, RH 10x 55#

Extensors

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, acorn said:

Had a really good training session last night. Still fighting with sore left elbow but it is thankfully not affecting too much. Sore as hell today.

2/6/2019

Bench

5x 135#, 5x 165#, 3x 225#, 3x 265# (brief pause reps), 3x 280# (brief pause reps), 7x 295# (first 6 reps paused)

Grippers 10x #T, 6x #1.5

Extensors

Dangit! Too damn strong

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, acorn said:

2/6/2019

Bench

Grippers 10x #T, 6x #1.5

Extensors

"Really good training session" = quite the understatement.   Great stuff!

45 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

"Really good training session" = quite the understatement.   Great stuff!

Thanks buddy, plan is working well and new prototype is a game changer and the main driver for my grippers going up right now.

• Like 1

Wow do you think with your current progress on grippers you might make another run for a 190-200+ block set close at your contest? That would be really something special to see. Any #4 close with a block set in contest would be great. 

11 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Wow do you think with your current progress on grippers you might make another run for a 190-200+ block set close at your contest? That would be really something special to see. Any #4 close with a block set in contest would be great. 

Progress is not linear so it is hard to say. I am hoping to hit 190 though with the block set if things keep going they way they have been going. Highest I have ever closed in contest with a block is 176# and my highest in contest with MMS is 194# in a few different comps over the years and a very very close miss at 199# in one contest with MMS. It has been a few years since I did the last of those though. I think I might be good for a 180 to 185# Block close on a good day now. 

But really anything over the 176# current block set contest pr for me would be awesome, something over 190 or a 4# with a block set I don't even have words for.

1 minute ago, acorn said:

Progress is not linear so it is hard to say. I am hoping to hit 190 though with the block set if things keep going they way they have been going. Highest I have ever closed in contest with a block is 176# and my highest in contest with MMS is 194# in a few different comps over the years and a very very close miss at 199# in one contest with MMS. It has been a few years since I did the last of those though. I think I might be good for a 180 to 185# Block close on a good day now. 

But really anything over the 176# current block set contest pr for me would be awesome, something over 190 or a 4# with a block set I don't even have words for.

That still haunts me 

• Thanks 1

I've got a 200# #4 here now too for if things continue to go well for later this year MMS, as well as MM6 back in my sights. 

Things have to continue to go well though.

Still quite sore from Weds. workout today. Pretty much everywhere.

- Aaron

Training from Saturday. Was still having some trouble with bar slippage. Wasn't feeling terribly into by the end of DL so I wrapped up a few sets early.

2-9-2019

Jump rope fast 1min

Saxon DL

5x 130#, 5x 130#, 3x 181#, 3x 201#, 3x 221#, 3x 231#, 2 1/2r x 241#, 4x 241#, 10x 191#

Saxon Bar Straight arm front raises

9x 51#

Standing Overhead Press

5x 135#, 3x 145#, 3x 165#, 4x 185#

- Aaron

• Like 1

Training from last night. Body felt like total crap all day before. Unexplained pain pretty much everywhere and not DOMs. Did not want to workout just wanted to crawl into bed after work but got my ass to the gym and took it slow. Made it to my minimum planned reps plus a little on bench and squats. Elbow was hurting too much to continue on grippers after first couple of warmup sets so I shut it down. By the end of the workout I was feeling alot better though and not as much pain today, just normal muscle soreness.

2/13/2019

BW - 286#

Squats - 5x 135#, 4x 135#, 4x 135#, 4x 185#, 3x 225#, 5x 275#, 3x 315#, 2x 355#

Bench - 6x 135#, 5x 135#, 3x 185#, 3x 225#, 5x 250#, 3x 285# paused, 4x 315# (first 3 paused)

Grippers #Tx10, 5x #1.5

LH 0x #2

RH - 5x #2.5, 5x 149#, 1x 169# - 20mm BS, 1x 176# - 20mm BS (2nd rep to 1/8" from closing)

1H Barbell Bent over Rows - LH - 5x 155#, RH - 6x 155#

Lying Tricep Extension (past head) - 9x 155#

Grip work on new prototype

• Like 2

Body still feeling crappy. Probably fighting something going around or just need to back off a little. Planning Deload for next week. Doing Saxon work tomorrow and looking forward to getting through that and expect a few additional folks to join me for the session at the gym tomorrow. That should be fun.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Elbow was bugging me on Saturday 2/16/2019. It took a few low weight sets on the Saxon to even tolerate adding weight. Worked up to 231 for a triple I think and called it quits on those. Took a few toys into the gym as well for folks to try. Worked up to 2x1x 162# on the Inch handle RH, Curl and Pressed the Inch Handle with 100# on it, and worked up to 175Kg in plates on the 2" Napalms Nitemare. First time trying that one. Also reverse bent a 60d nail to show technique and hearted a horseshoe.

Was a fun session getting lots of gym goers involved other than the left Elbow pain.

Deload this week now.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Your Saxon work is killer if 231 for a triple is a bad day!

175k on the 2” nn for a first try is also killer!

and man we can relate to the having fun with gym goers. Often times they stop briefly to watch us lift stuff, but every once in a while they come over and engage with us. So far we’ve had a couple funny ones. One guy came over and asked us if we had heard of Jujimufu since he noticed we were doing grip stuff. Another guy mentioned that he was a good arm wrestler then quickly moved on after i said im a top 10 Texas puller in the 242 class. 😆

then just this weekend a guy came over to Eric, Adam, Tanner and I and asked us if we had heard of Joe Kinney. As we all sort of said “yep we’ve heard of him” he seemed surprised. Then right after that i said “all 4 of us have closed the #3 officially, and also done the red nail bend.” It was funny his reaction to that.. lol! He was astounded. Verbally and with his facial expressions. Its prolly not often, or ever maybe, that a guy just stumbled upon that many established grip guys lifting in one spot that wasn’t in a comp setting, or some sort of venue.

We all got a kick out of all 3 scenarios! 🤣 

Thanks buddy! Hope you guys can make it out for the April comp. 

That's always fun when someone knows just a little about something in grip.

Aaron

Hit the gym last night. Deload week and thank goodness. It was glorious being able to go light and easy.

2-20-2019

Jump rope - 1min

Squats 5x45#, 5x135#, 5x 150#, 5x 185#, 5x 225#

Bench 5x135#, 5x 165#, 5x 205#

Grippers #Tx10, 7x #1.5

LH 0x #2 (elbow)

RH 5x #2, 7x 134# #2.5

Light Work on prototype

Stretching

Working on knots in left forearm with baseball rolling

I'm eyeballing the Rogue 25Kg plates at the gym for some future pinch attempts. They look way less slippery than my Eleikos.

:D

• Like 1

Trained on Saturday 2/23. Still having trouble with slipping on the saxon. Gonna try a new coating for next time. Brought the hub with me as I thought it would be fun to try. Need to try a 2 - 45's stacked hub lift again.

Worked up to Saxon attempt at 252# - miss below knees. Then tried 242# miss at lockout.

CTS solid mount Hub - worked up to 90#, miss at 100# (barely stirred)

Inch handle worked up to solid lift at 167# RH

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, acorn said:

Trained on Saturday 2/23. Still having trouble with slipping on the saxon. Gonna try a new coating for next time. Brought the hub with me as I thought it would be fun to try. Need to try a 2 - 45's stacked hub lift again.

Worked up to Saxon attempt at 252# - miss below knees. Then tried 242# miss at lockout.

CTS solid mount Hub - worked up to 90#, miss at 100# (barely stirred)

Inch handle worked up to solid lift at 167# RH

Great stuff Aaron.  How much do you get out of the tilt on the Saxon?  I've never tried one.  I did 205 for a couple singles on my 2" pinch block today, but it attaches at the bottom of the 8" block so there is 0 tilt.  

Just now, Mike Rinderle said:

Great stuff Aaron.  How much do you get out of the tilt on the Saxon?  I've never tried one.  I did 205 for a couple singles on my 2" pinch block today, but it attaches at the bottom of the 8" block so there is 0 tilt.  

Thanks, I might get a little but not much if any at max weight. Lower weights though I can tilt the piss out of it.

• Thanks 1