Log

acorn

I'm gonna try to start logging here again.  I'm sporadic about even writing down workouts so maybe this will help. 

Chasing a 400+ Bench again and probably not terribly far away at the moment. Started Benching again in December. Hoping to exceed that number at least one more time before I am too old and broken to do it. Last time was before my back injury in 97' which followed with 9yrs off from all lifting after that. Though I have worked up to 385 or so a few times in the last decade but change of focus and and / or injuries followed by months or more not benching always set me back to square 1. On the grip side Grippers are not terribly high at the moment and I need to start training Euro and crusher for the next comp in 6 weeks. Last time I touched a euro was at Nats last yr in June. Took about 6 months off from training after Nationals. So hopefully having a public log may get me back on track.

Last gym workout. 3/7/208

8min bike warmup

Bench

10x 135 (CG, feet on bench), 3x 135 (CG, feet on bench)

3x 225 (CG, feet on Bench)

3x 275

3x 315

4x 325

Standing OHP

8x 135

9x 175

Pullups 285# BW

4x w/ 35# Bumper between knees

9x 8" wide grip overhand

Hammer curls w/ 35# KB (gripping side upright portion of handle with bell in front)

LH 8x

RH 14x

DB wrist curls 65# DB

LH 12x

RH 20x

Later, Grippers

#1.5 x 8

LH #2 x 3, #2.5x 3 (20mm), #2.5x 3 (20mm), #2.5 OC (8sec)

RH #2.5x 3, 149# x 3 (20mm), 149# x 3 (20mm), 149# OC 9sec

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Loving it brotherrrr!! Cant wait to follow this log and see it happen!

oh hey look out.. there is gonna be quite a few here who will go on to elaborate how rare 400 is. Lol!

Eric gave me a link not long ago of the top 220lb bench presses in just the raw (not geared) powerlifting. And from the cold hard truth laid out in that list, just to be in the top 100 (in the raw and un geared category no less) a 220lb guy needs to be benching 400. Not even gonna mention how high the bench numbers get in geared meets. And your bw is well above 220. So before anyone tries to build a mental barrier for you by talking about what they see happen in shiny commercial lunk alarm gyms, 400 aint all that grand of a happening as far as world strength goes. And i can estimate that not only will you easily hit 400, you will also exceed it!

so plow on brother! Im one here that will not only be rooting for you and encouraging you, but will also be one of the first to say “told ya!” to the bench racers who claimed to have seen it all as they stood in an apparent bubble thier whole life.

No mental barriers here. I am one of those rare mutants. I benched 305 as a freshman in HS at 190#, 405 as a Junior in HS at 220# and 550 at my peak before my back injury. Hell I seated overhead pressed 405 at my peak for that matter. That was over 20yrs ago though and I've done my best to beat the hell out of this body both before and in the meantime. My biggest challenge is not getting side tracked or injured. So taking it slow and easy. I suspect I'll be ready in a month or 2 as the 325 x 4 felt like I had a rep or 2 in the tank as I am trying to do these days to not beat up my CNS too much. I don't need much volume to be plenty sore for days and do best with about a week to 10 days between workouts. I'm 44 now so recovery is a hell of a lot tougher than in my 20's.

Anyhow, thanks for the comment and encouragement. Good luck to you as well. I am watching.

- Aaron

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, acorn said:

No mental barriers here. I am one of those rare mutants. I benched 305 as a freshman in HS at 190#, 405 as a Junior in HS at 220# and 550 at my peak before my back injury. Hell I seated overhead pressed 405 at my peak for that matter. That was over 20yrs ago though and I've done my best to beat the hell out of this body both before and in the meantime. My biggest challenge is not getting side tracked or injured. So taking it slow and easy. I suspect I'll be ready in a month or 2 as the 325 x 4 felt like I had a rep or 2 in the tank as I am trying to do these days to not beat up my CNS too much. I don't need much volume to be plenty sore for days and do best with about a week to 10 days between workouts. I'm 44 now so recovery is a hell of a lot tougher than in my 20's.

Anyhow, thanks for the comment and encouragement. Good luck to you as well. I am watching.

- Aaron

550??? and 405 seated press!!!   :ohmy   You must have a little silverback in you Aaron!!!  Lol.  I feel you on the age aspect.  I'll be 41 next month and just starting back after 8 years off has got in my head.  Heck I have to strain to the point of getting winded just to fart now!  :laugh  I'm determined not to get old and week though.  My goals are to be in the best shape of my life in the next couple years if I can stay healthy.  I thought about starting a log as well until I got started back and realized I'd just be embarrassing myself.  Lol  I may once I get my strength built up some.  Best of luck on your goals!  You got this!!!

• Like 2

I look forward to watching your progress, Aaron!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Lol! I have no quams about posting my embarrassing lifts for the time being. I say go for it brother! Start that log!

and not to come off as an Aaron fanboy, but Aaron has the baddest verified DO bend still to this day imo. The 5/16”x6” stainless square. Regardless of whats happening these days in bending in regards to thin wraps and long bars, The crush on Aarons stainless square bend still out does anything ive seen yet. That said, am not surprised to see that he has been a very strong presser in the past.

Thank you sir. I did the 5/16 x 6 CRS square but 6.5 x 5/16 square SS. Never got around to trying that in 6" before I stopped bending.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Lol! I have no quams about posting my embarrassing lifts for the time being. I say go for it brother! Start that log!

and not to come off as an Aaron fanboy, but Aaron has the baddest verified DO bend still to this day imo. The 5/16”x6” stainless square. Regardless of whats happening these days in bending in regards to thin wraps and long bars, The crush on Aarons stainless square bend still out does anything ive seen yet. That said, am not surprised to see that he has been a very strong presser in the past.

I totally agree.  I know there are some hard bends being done these days and huge props to those guys but all the really impressive bends in my opinion were done years ago.  And all the guys that did them are no longer bending or at least nowhere near the level they once were.  I'm sure age, injuries and just maybe getting burnt out on it are the reasons but it would sure be awesome to see some of the old greats get back into it.  I want to see more crazy short bars bent and some big DU and reverse bends.  Those were my favorites even though I can't DU or reverse for crap.  Lol.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Martin Gaisser said:

550??? and 405 seated press!!!   :ohmy   You must have a little silverback in you Aaron!!!  Lol.  I feel you on the age aspect.  I'll be 41 next month and just starting back after 8 years off has got in my head.  Heck I have to strain to the point of getting winded just to fart now!  :laugh  I'm determined not to get old and week though.  My goals are to be in the best shape of my life in the next couple years if I can stay healthy.  I thought about starting a log as well until I got started back and realized I'd just be embarrassing myself.  Lol  I may once I get my strength built up some.  Best of luck on your goals!  You got this!!!

Little bit. I was a competitive thrower in HS and College track and field. High percentage of fast twitch muscle. I hear you on the getting winded easy. :) Start a log buddy it will help keep you honest and on track to your goals.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Little training last night to start getting into the groove for next comp events.

3/12

Grippers

5x #1.5 

LH 5 x #2, #2.5 x 1 (20mm)

RH 5x #2.5, 1x 165# adj BBE (20mm)

Saxon Bar Pinch DL (CTS 2"x5")

3x135, 3x135, 3x175, 3x3x218#

2" Crusher DL

LH 1x 50Kg, 3x 75Kg

RH 1x 50Kg, 3x 75Kg, 8x 75Kg

Thumb work (CTS thumb tool)

LH 3x 10# with 3 bands Negs

RH 3x 12.5# with 3 bands Negs

BH 10x 12.5# with 3 bands full range reps

• Like 2

Was home with sick kiddo today but had a chance to do some grippers.

Pushups 20x

KB Swings 16kg, 20x per arm

Grippers MMS

LH #T x 10, #1.5 x 7, #2 x 3, #2.5 (134#) x 3, 138# #3 x 3, 142# BBGM x 3, 149#  to a hair, 134# #2.5 OC 7sec, #2 OC 12sec

RH #T x 10, #1.5 x 7, #2.5 x 3, 149# #3 x 3, 160# BBE x 3, 165# BBE x 3, 169# #3.5 x 1, 149# #3 OC 13sec

• Like 1

Made it over to Tucson Strength Gym where we are going to have the next comp today at lunch. Got a workout in and discussed comp details with Steve who will be primary promoter for this one while I help, he is a Trainer there so that was about the only way we could meetup lol. Got a good set on bench though the last rep was a grinder. Felt heavy today.

3/16/2018

Jumping Jacks

Bench 8x 135, 3x 135, 3x 225, 3x 275, 3x 315, 3x 345# :)

Standing OHP - 8x 135, 8x 175

Pullups - BW 288# - 5 x + 25#

Pinch block banded holds - a bunch

Blue Therabar Tennis Elbow prehab exercise - 12x RH, 10x LH

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, acorn said:

3x 345# :)

dam strong!

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

dam strong!

Gracias sir. Missed my planned training date by a few days and think it had been like 9 or 10 days from last time I benched.

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, acorn said:

Bench 8x 135, 3x 135, 3x 225, 3x 275, 3x 315, 3x 345# :)

Dang Aaron! Strong pressing. Wish I was able to make it out to the comp this year. I was eating Ethiopian food the other day and thought about how you mentioned that your strongest bending sessions came after a tasty Ethiopian dinner. I had to give it a try myself :D

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Dang Aaron! Strong pressing. Wish I was able to make it out to the comp this year. I was eating Ethiopian food the other day and thought about how you mentioned that your strongest bending sessions came after a tasty Ethiopian dinner. I had to give it a try myself :D

We'll miss you man! Love the ethiopian food pre-workout plan.

- Aaron

Worked in the garden a bunch over the weekend trying to get my tomatoes transplanted before I am overrun with them. Sore now. Only grip work was farmers walking bags of soil, compost and manure from my truck to the garden. Pinch style one in each hand. Probably over 100' each trip. 10 trips. Thumb muscles sore now. :)

- Aaron

• Like 2

Last night squeezed in a little crusher work before bed.

3/19/2018

2" Crusher

LH 0x 75kg, 0x 75Kg (stopped due to knuckle hurting)

RH 3x75KG, 3x80Kg, 3x 1r x 80kg (45sec between each)

Edited by acorn

Trained at the gym today. Left shoulder was bugging me a little so I brought the hands in some and took it easy.

3/23

Bike warmup 7min

Bench

8x135, 3x135, 3x225, 3x275, 3x295, 3x315 (brief pauses), 10x 225

Standing Behind the neck press 

8x135

Standing tricep ext

Bar (45#) x 15

Grippers #T x a bunch, #1.5 x 8

LH - #2x 5, #2.5 x 5, #2 x 17 (20mm block set)

RH - #2.5 x 3, 149# #3 x 3, 160# x 3, 165# x 3, 169# #3.5 x 2 almost 3 (last to 1/8"), 160# - OC 8sec, #2.5 x 6 (20mm bs)

TheraBar tennis elbow prehab/rehab exercise

Stretching shoulders and chest with jump stretch band

- Aaron

• Like 1

Not lifting related but sore as hell from this weekend. Planted out a bunch of tomatoes that are just getting way too big for 1gal pots. Still have a few to do. That and spent about 12 or more hours replacing the motor and transaxle mounts in my wifes Matrix. That dam rear motor mount took about 8 hours and buying a 2nd one that still didn't have studs lining up and needed modifying. Gravel / dirt driveway + car not high enough for creeper + studs not lining up + clearance issues + Major pain to get in and out of position = major suck. Must have scootched under car and out 40 times. Sore everywhere and major respect to those to do this crap on a daily basis. Been a good while since I dug in this deeply to car repair, hahaha. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, acorn said:

Not lifting related but sore as hell from this weekend. Planted out a bunch of tomatoes that are just getting way too big for 1gal pots. Still have a few to do. That and spent about 12 or more hours replacing the motor and transaxle mounts in my wifes Matrix. That dam rear motor mount took about 8 hours and buying a 2nd one that still didn't have studs lining up and needed modifying. Gravel / dirt driveway + car not high enough for creeper + studs not lining up + clearance issues + Major pain to get in and out of position = major suck. Must have scootched under car and out 40 times. Sore everywhere and major respect to those to do this crap on a daily basis. Been a good while since I dug in this deeply to car repair, hahaha. 

I think I’ve stopped doing stuff like that for at least 20 years. I’d rather pay a guy that suffer through it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shoggoth said:

I think I’ve stopped doing stuff like that for at least 20 years. I’d rather pay a guy that suffer through it. 

Normally we would too anymore but our mechanic wanted a grand to do it and we just could not stomach that.

• Like 1

Did a little 2" crusher before bed last night. All I had time for.

RH

80kg x 1 ~ 10sec

80kg x 1 ~ 6sec

80Kg x 1 ~ 6sec

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a slacker lately. Too busy with work, kids, machining and spring garden. Last training I did was on Saturday 3/30 at a group training / coaching session held at the gym where the next comp will happen.

Grippers up to 169 #3.5 x 2 20mm block set.

Euro 48mm - 1HP 110

Euro 54mm - Up to 225 x 2 almost 3

2" Crusher - did something a little different as the other folks were using the loading pin and horn. Loaded 4 plates on end of oly bar and did reps and holds with bottom of crusher just hooked on end of oly bar.

Pullups 5x, 1x with 2 finger, index and middle finger only of each hand. 

Anvil horn sled pulls, cant remember the weight, whatever was on there. 

KB snatches 3x per hand - 48Kg.

- Aaron

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently I haven't trained in 2 weeks. Spent all last week in Houston for work at one of our remote offices so that didn't help. Wow almost a month since I benched last.

Trained today at lunch

BW: 290ish

10min recumbent bike

Bench CG 8x 135, 3x 225, 3x 225

Bench Regular 3x 275, 6x 275

Grippers #1x8

LH - #1.5x8, #2x5, #2.5 x 1 (X26) Tempo (Con - ISO - Ecc), #2.5 x 1 (X36), #2.5 x 1 (X26)

RH #2x8, #2.5 x 5, 165# x 1 (x26), 165# x 1 (X35), 165# x 1 (X46)

Standing Behind Neck Press - 135x11, 135x8

Pullups - dead hang - x 4 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did the comp on Saturday 4/28. Not really any training after last entry before the comp except moving equipment to the gym the evening before which included moving the 10kg plates 2 at a time per hand with longish farmers walks and maybe 3 days before comp doing a couple gripper closes up to #2.5 RH. Not terribly well prepared or trained up for this comp but still did ok though well below my normal numbers on all the lifts.

Day of contest did

8x pullups @ 280 BW

Grippers up to 169# #3.5 w/ 20mm block set RH

2HP final lift was 111.06Kg or 244.84#

2" Crusher was up to 95kg

Ironmind little big horn was up to 75Kg, miss at 80Kg

- Aaron

Edit: went back and checked and this was first contest below 250 on the Euro pinch for me since 2015.

Edited by acorn
addition
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't trained at all since the comp. Been busy as hell and not feeling up for it lately. This is just a check in to remind myself that I need to get back to work.

- Aaron

• Like 2