4 x 4 Wrist Roller

Martin Gaisser

I was searching wrist rollers a while back and stumbled across one that looked like it would hit the fingers, hands and forearms pretty darn good.  I’d never seen this design before though some of you may have.  Anyways I made myself up one this evening and I believe it’s gonna work great.  It’s humbling to say the least.  Lol.  

89BBA81F-BFF3-44F1-BD69-87DA87941B61.thumb.jpeg.4433250a6d291f8b8ca90fec6f067ae8.jpeg

• Like 1

I just recieved in the mail yesterday some old Milo magazines I bought because they had some Brookfield and Justa articles I wanted to check out and the September 2000 magazine had an article on wrist rolling and talked about all sorts of different wrist rollers and ways to use them. A good article. They have a 4 x 4 roller in it. Let us know how it works for you. I bet you build up some good finger and thumb strength. Here is photo from magazine.

8060C440-07D9-45B0-AB29-A190DF369A93.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks awesome. I bet you would also get some great benefit due to the horizontal torque acting on your wrist. I've been trying to get more pinch volume in and this could be perfect for that, off to the shop tonight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Donc101 said:

I just recieved in the mail yesterday some old Milo magazines I bought because they had some Brookfield and Justa articles I wanted to check out and the September 2000 magazine had an article on wrist rolling and talked about all sorts of different wrist rollers and ways to use them. A good article. They have a 4 x 4 roller in it. Let us know how it works for you. I bet you build up some good finger and thumb strength. Here is photo from magazine.

8060C440-07D9-45B0-AB29-A190DF369A93.jpeg

That’s pretty cool right there.  I’m sure there’s tons of knowledge that’s been lost or forgotten over the years.  John Brookfield had some insane hand strength no doubt.  I can tell already that it’s gonna be a great workout for the thumb and fingers.  I’ll try and keep everyone up to date on my thoughts on it.  I’d love to read that article.  I may have to get me a copy of that magazine.  Thanks for the info. 

7 hours ago, Climber028 said:

That looks awesome. I bet you would also get some great benefit due to the horizontal torque acting on your wrist. I've been trying to get more pinch volume in and this could be perfect for that, off to the shop tonight.

Thanks a lot.  Yea it definitely works the fingers and wrists really good.  Not sure if it’s gonna build the forearms quite as much as a traditional round one since you have to cut the weight drastically just to use it if your just holding it outright in front of you.  I may try drilling a hole lengthwise so I can mount it to my safety bar on my power rack and use more weight.  That should help give the forearms more of a workout I would think.  My pinch grip totally sucks too so I’m really hoping this builds up my weak areas.  Best of luck.  Let me know which methods of using it give you the best results if you don’t mind.  I’m gonna try and keep my results posted up as well. 

Definitely cool. You could also go heavy and use it like a wrist wrench maybe?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Definitely cool. You could also go heavy and use it like a wrist wrench maybe?

Thanks.  Yea seems there’s several different unique ways to use it, now to just figure out which ones work the best.  Lol. 

Well the square roller made me feel like a whimp.  Lol.  I barley had to use any weight and my grip was shot in about a minute to the point I couldn’t even hold the thing to rotate it.  You don’t really spin it like a round device though you kinda could but the best way is to twist let go grasp and twist again.  So your completely letting go with one hand everytime you roll it over and basically just doing one hand at a time.  With me my weaker hand basilly determined how long I could go with it but my dominant hand was pretty close to shot anyways and I’m sure it will get better.  You can hold it with both hands and do flexion and extension exercises too which worked really good I thought.  It definitely gave me a pump in my hands wrists and forearms.  It seemed to fatigue the center part of my hand over my fingertips which I was a little disappointed in it definitely hit the thumbs though.  I may just need to play with it a little more and see if I can overcome that issue. I also though about just making a square one about 1” x 1” and that would force you to use your fingertips more.  Or a larger one would do the same I’m sure.  All in all I was satisfied now just have to wait and see how well it carries over to other grip feats.  Oh and I would definitely recommend doing this at the end of your grip training because I could barley shut any of my grippers or bend anything afterwards.  If anyone else decides to make one I’d like to get your input and what worked or didn’t for you. 

• Like 1